Frost's Husker teammates didn't want to just give him respect - but he earned it anyway

knapplc

Good story here by Brian Christopherson about Frost's struggles to gain acceptance on the 1990s Husker teams.

Everyone try to contain yourselves that most of the info comes from Jason Peter.

Tough-minded Frost has always been on the fast track

“Back when he transferred, the structure of the team was pretty well-defined,” said the former Nebraska defensive tackle. “The leaders that we had were pretty established and it was a tough environment to get acclimated to, not only if you were a freshman coming in, but if you were kind of the golden child who had rejected Nebraska off the bat, and then transferred. Then it was really tough. We put Scott through the wringer and about as bad an initiation, if you could call it that, that I remember. I don’t know if we were harder on a guy more so than we were harder on Scott.

“Whether it was the physical, the mental, we were tough on him. He was reminded every day that he turned his back on Nebraska that first time. He just kept fighting away, fighting away. We’d hit him harder. He’d just keep getting back up quicker and quicker.”

Frost was starting to win teammates over even as some fans needed convincing.

Even in 1997, the second game of a national championship season, Frost heard boos after re-entering a game against Central Florida after a touchdown drive led by Frankie London.

“I don’t know if I’ve heard since that day where there’s an entire stadium directing their boos at one specific person, and that’s the way it was,” Peter said. “And he never faltered, really.”

Peter goes on to endorse Frost as the next Head Coach at Nebraska.

Yeah, good article. Frost isn't one of my top choices but there's a part of me that thinks we don't want to miss the chance to get him. Yeah, it's a projection, but...everything about this guy says that he will succeed at whatever he does. And even if he doesn't become the next Great Football Head Coach, there's no way he won't be all class.

Frost was absolutely savaged on forums like this during most of that '96 season. A lot of people forget that. That Arizona State loss was kind of his coming out party and it was UGLY.

That Washington game won everybody over, but up to that point, he was not a terribly popular figure. But nobody who followed Tommie Frazier into the QB chair would have been. It had taken us a good 3-4 years to find a decent successor to Turner Gill and everyone was kinda worried about the same thing happening.

It certainly worked out well in the end for Scott.

Even in 1997, the second game of a national championship season, Frost heard boos after re-entering a game against Central Florida after a touchdown drive led by Frankie London.
“I don’t know if I’ve heard since that day where there’s an entire stadium directing their boos at one specific person, and that’s the way it was,” Peter said. “And he never faltered, really.”

I dunno about the entire stadium Booing Frost. But there was some booing. I remember. It was shameful.

Scott Frost is tenacious. You gotta give him that. Husker fans booed him. He turned it around and led us to a national championship. The experts said he'd never play a down in the NFL. He played for half a decade. Now they're saying he's too green to take on an FBS head coaching job. I don't think I'd bet against him...

• Fire 1

Frost was absolutely savaged on forums like this during most of that '96 season. A lot of people forget that. That Arizona State loss was kind of his coming out party and it was UGLY.

That Washington game won everybody over, but up to that point, he was not a terribly popular figure. But nobody who followed Tommie Frazier into the QB chair would have been. It had taken us a good 3-4 years to find a decent successor to Turner Gill and everyone was kinda worried about the same thing happening.

You were on forums like this in 1996?

I dunno about the entire stadium Booing Frost. But there was some booing. I remember. It was shameful.

Scott Frost is tenacious. You gotta give him that. Husker fans booed him. He turned it around and led us to a national championship. The experts said he'd never play a down in the NFL. He played for half a decade. Now they're saying he's too green to take on an FBS head coaching job. I don't think I'd bet against him...

You are right NUance, he is determined to give his best towards the sport regardless of those football obstacles. He's handled it with dignity. I respect that about him. Always have.

You were on forums like this in 1996?

Not this one, obviously, but I think the original Huskerpedia was around then, and was still free. There was also a rivals message board I was posting on and a Big 12 board that got ruined by Texas fans.