LJS: LPS staffer billed $262 for letting Pelini use room for team meeting

http://journalstar.com/news/local/education/lps-staff-member-circumvented-policy-by-letting-pelini-use-room/article_c060aa92-1cf0-562c-b197-ef377bab3734.html

By MARGARET REIST / Lincoln Journal Star

A Lincoln North Star staff member violated Lincoln Public Schools policy when he allowed former Husker football coach Bo Pelini to use the high school's auditorium for a Tuesday night meeting with Nebraska football players...

needs to pay $262 to space rented.

This is the normal charge for use of this room. I see a lot of people around the webz upset this guy got charged. There is zero reason that he should get to use this room for free - or give use of the room for free to Bo & the players - when everyone else who uses it has to pay the fee.

This guy did this without prior approval. He allowed dozens, if not over 100, people access to a public facility that he had no right to give access to. He could EASILY have been fired for this. Lincoln Public Schools is being very magnanimous by only charging him the room rental fee.

Anyone complaining about this guy paying the fee is forgetting the principles Nebraska football stands for. We're supposed to be the good guys, the ones who do things the right way. Paying for things you use is the right way to go about your business.

Get your heads on straight before you complain about this.

*note - this post is not directed at anyone already posting in this thread.

• Fire 6

This is the normal charge for use of this room. I see a lot of people around the webz upset this guy got charged. There is zero reason that he should get to use this room for free - or give use of the room for free to Bo & the players - when everyone else who uses it has to pay the fee.

This guy did this without prior approval. He allowed dozens, if not over 100, people access to a public facility that he had no right to give access to. He could EASILY have been fired for this. Lincoln Public Schools is being very magnanimous by only charging him the room rental fee.

Anyone complaining about this guy paying the fee is forgetting the principles Nebraska football stands for. We're supposed to be the good guys, the ones who do things the right way. Paying for things you use is the right way to go about your business.

Agreed. It's sad that when you see people use logic and common sense to discuss this on Facebook, they're immediately branded as Bo-Haters, told to go burn in hell, etc.

Seriously--the school *has* to charge for use of the facilities, otherwise it's a school-sanctioned event. That, and for liability protection (probably more insurance-based than legally-based) should something happen, is why schools where I'm at charge churches, scout troops, etc. for use of the school.

I don't understand why the guy thought it was o.k. to invite a bunch of people into the school to use the gymnasium for free. Who the people are is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the events taking place at UNL.

He's lucky he only got stuck with the bill. I would equate it to letting a shop lifter pay for an item after they got caught taking it.

• Fire 1

agree, i am sure he had a gut reaction and was just trying to be helpful....emotions running high, a simple misstep.

As someone that works in the school system...they can waive the charge. I personally don't care either way but we waive fees all the time.

If he had gone through the proper channels, it could have been waved very easily. From what I've understood, the problem is that he just sort of did it without talking to the administration first. Also, since this was so high-profile, they really had to do it all on the up and up so that anyone else who has been charged in the past wouldn't raise holy hell about it once it got out that they let Bo use it for free, you know? It would have been a pretty petty instance of corruption but a high-profile one.

As someone that works in the school system...they can waive the charge. I personally don't care either way but we waive fees all the time.

I would assume that these people get permission before hand? I don't have a problem with it being free, but the guy should have asked.

Honestly...depends who you are...

I would assume that these people get permission before hand? I don't have a problem with it being free, but the guy should have asked.

I think that's why they were charged. Schools are used for events all of the time (legally, they have to be available to the community, IIRC), but it has to be arranged. Even if they do issue post-hoc waivers, it would have raised some eyebrows in the system. They just had to do it.