I am SOLD!!!

Oregon has hung 50 on pretty much everyone except Arizona and Michigan State(46). Except for maybe 3 or 4 defenses in the PAC12 is weak. They play a bend but don't break on steroids defense. Get us the ball back as soon as you can. TRY to give up 3.

Riley will adjust to the physicality of the B1G. Just Gary Anderson did at Wisconsin. Just give him time to play it out. A coach with this much respect around all of football, must know what he is doing.

Oregon has hung 50 on pretty much everyone except Arizona and Michigan State(46). Except for maybe 3 or 4 defenses in the PAC12 is weak. They play a bend but don't break on steroids defense. Get us the ball back as soon as you can. TRY to give up 3.

Riley will adjust to the physicality of the B1G. Just Gary Anderson did at Wisconsin. Just give him time to play it out. A coach with this much respect around all of football, must know what he is doing.

By all objective standards the Pac-12 is soooo much better than the Big10

Last year Ohio State was in prime position to play for the national title and they gave up more points to the worst team in the Pac-12 (Cal) than any Pac-12 team (including Oregon State) - the worst team in the Pac-12 - Cal scored 34 points against the barominator and usually best team in the Big10 (Ohio State) - 34 points. That was the most points they scored against a big 6 program all year...including the teams they played in their conference. Ohio State made the crappiest Pac-12 program look competitive.

Anyone thinking the Big10 is on par with the Pac-12 is living in denial.

Big10 defenses (lets be honest guys) have stunk it up. Big10 for the last 5 years has been dogshite.

While the PAC-12 has amped it up, got first class coaches and changek d the game with new innovative offenses.

I mean the Big10's best team gave up more points to the worst team in the Pac-12. Wazzu played Cal better than Ohio State.

That's how far the Big10 has fallen. So when people defend Bo and say...well he won 9 games! So what? Against garbage.

And he got blown out by the good teams on his schedule.

Big10 is the worst conference in the nation right now...and that's sad. Oregon walked in and destroyed Michigan a few years back...Big10 struggles to win a Rose Bowl the last 20 years.

It's pathetic.

A mediocre USC team just destroyed Notre Dame.

I wonder if kids just don't want to play in the Midwest anymore?

Midwest teams and talent has sunk to an all-time low. Just slow, can't tackle, etc.

Just as i as starting to warm to the idea of this guy as our coach, i went back and really checked his records at OSU.

Seem like that program was built by Erickson, and has gone back in the tank the last few years. If he doesn't hire a great staff, i have a feeling that his stay in Lincoln will not be long.

Well keep spreading your gloomy predictions if it makes you feel better, but I don't think anybody has any major misconceptions about Riley's record at OSU. It's a crap program, we get it. We won't really know what he can do at NU until next fall when the games start.

Not certain where I read it but I believe Ericksons' time there at Oregon St was when Riley went to the NFL and that he, Erickson, did well those three years using Rileys' recruits, winning the Fiesta Bowl and all. Riley was surely trending upwards when he left for the NFL and it seems Erickson was the beneficiary of what Riley had built. Maybe Riley came back to empty cupboards from the Erickson stint hence the up and down w/l records. Hard to achieve sustained momentum at bottom dweller facilities, etc.
Quite a bit of Pedey-shine has been used today that's for certain.

I'm not sure how much was built from his 8~14 start there.

I've seen this hire called a dumpster fire hire today, so i went and checked his record. 03 until 09 was up and down, thanks to what DE brought into the program. Since 09, it's been garbage with the exception of 1 ok year.

We should be greatly concerned.

By who other than those looking for the "splash" hire on this board. Heard many others say it was a home run hire, just shocking because the guy had turned down big time offers to stay at Corvalis so it was thought he would retire there. He's in it for the love of the game/kids not the spotlight.

What DE brought into the program wouldn't have had that long of an effect on results in the program. Maybe he used up Rileys cupboard and left for who was it, ASU. Some of these guys bounce around to where ever they see a good opportunity for success. Rileys' best records in that seven year stretch were 08 and 09 I believe.

By all means be greatly concerned, I'm not, maybe it doesn't work out but I believe this guy is planning on going out with a bang hence accepting the offer at arguably the greatest and most storied program in the history of college football.

I'm with you. Something just feels more right about this hire than the last two. So many pieces fit. I'm not trying to be overly optimistic, im still very skeptical but hopeful.

The further we get into this, the more it feels like Callahan,,quite frankly.

• Fire 1

Had a long write-up response, but this probably more appropriate:

crazy-pills.gif?w=650

Riley can't do anything about urb, pac-12, b10 perception, etc. What Riley CAN do is get NU over the hump, build a team that can pound the piss out of anybody with 4Q of physical football. We will lose at least 1 game in the future (bank it!). But, MSU has respect, tOSU has respect, wisky has respect. Let's earn our respect and then worry about the rest. JMO...

I lived in Oregon for all of Riley's years at Oregon State. You can win and do well with him if you help guide him.

Advice:

1) Don't let him get too pass happy. Sacks and too many incompletions stall drives

2) Develop two good backs and run around 53% of the time. His best years 2008 and 2009 he ran around this amount. His offense can click with thus 53/47 run/ pass ratio. Start dipping below 50 and losing odds increase. Don't let him go there.

3) Don't run it out of endzone on kickoffs more than say 7-9% of the time. 25 yard line is fine.

4) Get an OC who will up his tempo some and who can call plays. Riley can call them decently but a good OC he can trust will help manage the game.

5) Don't let him get away from run game too early either. He tends to do that if even down just a TD. Stick with the winning balance of 53/47 run to pass until into the 4th quarter and then assess.

Good luck Husker Nation. Will be rooting for you. Help guide Riley along in a positive manner. He functions better in that light. His offense can work with committed balance and with a good OC and a little more tempo it can succeed to give Nebraska a real shot to win B1G West if Wisconsin can be knocked off. Also recommend you get a tough DC.

I'm sold. Completely sold. Sold as in "I can't believe what a 180 degree turn I'm making" sold.

The guy has always had a well-earned reputation as one of the nicest people in all of sports; I knew this. What I didn't know was just how limited his resources at Corvalis really were. People point to his time with the Chargers--well, his prospects for a successful NFL coaching stint began and ended with Kevin Gilbride gifting him with a 2nd year malcontent QB named Ryan Leaf.

I was initially disappointed about not getting Tressel, but I'd take Riley over all of the other credible names mentioned. The very thought of having someone like Bielema (who I don't believe for a second was even offered) leading our Huskers in the tunnel walk next year is enough to make me physically sick. The Vest was one thing, but a skunk like Bielema? Hells no.

At the end of the day, we ended up with a very good coach and an even better person. I know that's the company line, but I don't care--in this guy's case, I believe it. I'm behind Coach Riley 100%.

• Fire 2