Should NU know its place like Iowa, Gophers? Or strive for Championships? USA Today

Flood

This may have been posted, but I wasn't sure. The writer suggests Riley may be just what we need on a variety of fronts. Given the MUCH greater resources at NU, Riley might be the perfect choice. Time will tell, and I sure hope so.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2014/12/04/nebraska-mike-riley-coach-oregon-state-analysis/19908547/

"Maybe the clear-eyed fans no longer expect the national title dynasty of the mid-1990s, but they expect a national title contender a little more often than every now and then. Instead, Nebraska has been scrabbling with the Iowas and Minnesotas of the world, and getting blown out every time it plays Wisconsin."

This may have been posted, but I wasn't sure. The writer suggests Riley may be just what we need on a variety of fronts. Given the MUCH greater resources at NU, Riley might be the perfect choice. Time will tell, and I sure hope so.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2014/12/04/nebraska-mike-riley-coach-oregon-state-analysis/19908547/

"Maybe the clear-eyed fans no longer expect the national title dynasty of the mid-1990s, but they expect a national title contender a little more often than every now and then. Instead, Nebraska has been scrabbling with the Iowas and Minnesotas of the world, and getting blown out every time it plays Wisconsin."

This writer needs to quit listening to Colin Cowterd.

I hate this bullcrap. "Oh, a program can't win because of location. Oh they can't get recruits. Oh, they are in too tough of a conference."

Bull. Any program can become a great program if everything comes together at the right time. Is it more difficult at some places? Yes. Iowa State is probably not going to be a national powerhouse any time soon.

But would I say that it is impossible? No! You get the right coach, the right players, and a little bit of luck, and things can change drastically.

That's the beauty of the sport.

I hate this bullcrap. "Oh, a program can't win because of location. Oh they can't get recruits. Oh, they are in too tough of a conference."

Bull. Any program can become a great program if everything comes together at the right time. Is it more difficult at some places? Yes. Iowa State is probably not going to be a national powerhouse any time soon.

But would I say that it is impossible? No! You get the right coach, the right players, and a little bit of luck, and things can change drastically.

Yep. I bet if Nick Saban got hired at Iowa St. they would become a player within 2 years no problem. He can get the recruits in there b/c they want to play for him with his success, he will coach them up, put in his system, and off an running they would be.

Yep. I bet if Nick Saban got hired at Iowa St. they would become a player within 2 years no problem. He can get the recruits in there b/c they want to play for him with his success, he will coach them up, put in his system, and off an running they would be.

Since he has only been highly successful coaching in the South, I guess we won't ever know what he could turn Iowa State into.

• Fire 1

I think some of you guys need to read the article instead of just the quote. The author is basically saying Nebraska shouldn't settle being Iowa or Minnesota and Coach Riley can possibly take us to that next step.

...but I am le tired

Ya, my clicker finger can only do so much now after the sock puppet thread, so I don't want to do any more damage to it and have decided to not click on links but just make statements off the quotes of the links.