Johnny Stanton

Johnny Stanton completes one pass for 6 yards all season long, and all of a sudden ... he's the starting QB for 2015 for Nebraska. Tommy Armstrong just got through completing 32 of 51 passes for well over 300 yards with just one pick in a near-comeback victory - a 45-42 loss to powerhouse USC ... and all of a sudden, Tommy's not good enough. He played with so much heart the other night ago. I loved Armstrong's effort that night.

I don't like this conversation - or this thread.

• Fire 1

I'm not saying that Johnny is the answer and Tommy isn't, but there were at least 4 dropped interceptions in the bowl game alone. Tommy tries to do too much and has bite him in the arse numerous times. That said I am looking forward to seeing what the new staff can do as far as QB development goes. If it is Tommy, Johnny, or someone else for us to get over the hump we need more consistency out of our QB play.

Johnny Stanton completes one pass for 6 yards all season long, and all of a sudden ... he's the starting QB for 2015 for Nebraska. Tommy Armstrong just got through completing 32 of 51 passes for well over 300 yards with just one pick in a near-comeback victory - a 45-42 loss to powerhouse USC ... and all of a sudden, Tommy's not good enough. He played with so much heart the other night ago. I loved Armstrong's effort that night.

Don't read it.

• Fire 1

Where was that effort all season? I keep hearing about how all his INTs are the receivers fault and not his. I hope he doesnt feel the same way, thats a route towards a smug attitude.

Stanton is raved on because he would probably fit Rileys system better plus he recuited him. Its going to be a battle for starting QB.

I'm not saying that Johnny is the answer and Tommy isn't, but there were at least 4 dropped interceptions in the bowl game alone. Tommy tries to do too much and has bite him in the arse numerous times. That said I am looking forward to seeing what the new staff can do as far as QB development goes. If it is Tommy, Johnny, or someone else for us to get over the hump we need more consistency out of our QB play.

Either Tommy is throwing the ball to the wrong part of the field or his receivers are running the wrong routes. I hope the new staff can identify which and correct it. If we get just a few more yards and NOT call a passing play on 3rd and short at the end of the game against USC, we probably win the game and this thread is completely moot. However, if Stanton proves to be the better QB come fall, then so be it.

If you throw the ball 51 times, you sure as hell better throw for over 300 yards.... 51 attempts!

No one is questioning Armstrong's competitiveness, or his leadership qualities. Kid is a gamer, no doubt. However, there is no denying that terrible, terrible 4 game stretch towards the end of the season.

When Abdullah was hurt, and it fell on him to carry the offense, he crumbled.

Where was that effort all season? I keep hearing about how all his INTs are the receivers fault and not his. I hope he doesnt feel the same way, thats a route towards a smug attitude.

Unfortunately, from his reactions it seems that he does.

Hope Riley can set that attitude straight. Even if a pick isnt his fault, he should feel like he can get better.

The coaches literally had to talk him off the ledge at one point this season. Bo and Beck said Tommy was being too hard on himself. Even fellow players said the same. Imani Cross said to the press he was going to tell Tommy to "RELAX, it's going to be OKAY" because the team could see Tommy was taking losses so hard.

Tommy is a competitor. He expects a high level of performance from himself and those around him. Hes always talking to his offensive players and you can tell he gets a bit upset when mistakes are made, but for you two to pretend he doesn't hold himself accountable is just plain ridiculous. There's nothing but evidence to the contrary.

How does this conversation go from you "hope" he doesn't feel that way to all of a sudden he clearly feels that way and Rikey needs to set the attitude straight? The kid doesn't feel that way obviously. I haven't heard him once say an interception was all on somebody else. Not once. But suddenly he needs an attitude adjustment?

This kids attitude is great. I love it.

You two have never supported Tommy at QB, and that's fine, its your prerogative. I'm not gonna tell you that you have to like him like people tried to tell me with Martinez. But fabricating these stories is just ridiculous.

Prepare yourselves too boys, I got my money on Tommy starting the rest of his career.

The coaches literally had to talk him off the ledge at one point this season. Bo and Beck said Tommy was being too hard on himself. Even fellow players said the same. Imani Cross said to the press he was going to tell Tommy to "RELAX, it's going to be OKAY" because the team could see Tommy was taking losses so hard.

Tommy is a competitor. He expects a high level of performance from himself and those around him. Hes always talking to his offensive players and you can tell he gets a bit upset when mistakes are made, but for you two to pretend he doesn't hold himself accountable is just plain ridiculous. There's nothing but evidence to the contrary.

How does this conversation go from you "hope" he doesn't feel that way to all of a sudden he clearly feels that way and Rikey needs to set the attitude straight? The kid doesn't feel that way obviously. I haven't heard him once say an interception was all on somebody else. Not once. But suddenly he needs an attitude adjustment?

You two have never supported Tommy at QB, and that's fine, its your prerogative. I'm not gonna tell you that you have to like him like people tried to tell me with Martinez. But fabricating these stories is just ridiculous.

Prepare yourselves too boys, I got my money on Tommy starting the rest of his career.

out-on-a-limb.gif

Just messin' with ya :wasted

out-on-a-limb.gif

Just messin' with ya :wasted

It's all good. Lord knows I've been on that limb before.

If he is the best QB on the roster then by all means he needs to start. I just dont like the way he forces passes. Some of his throws go too high and the receiver has to waste a second jumping for the ball, a few fall closer to the receivers feet. Not all QB's are perfect but with him I feel like the receiver has to try extra hard at half his throws.

I will say this, his motion is light years better than Taylors. He can even launch a pretty good deep ball. He holds himself well when the play requires him to tuck it and run. I support the kid but Id like to see a big step up if he is to be the starter next year, seniority wont be the lone factor any more.

If he is the best QB on the roster then by all means he needs to start. I just dont like the way he forces passes. Some of his throws go too high and the receiver has to waste a second jumping for the ball, a few fall closer to the receivers feet. Not all QB's are perfect but with him I feel like the receiver has to try extra hard at half his throws.

I will say this, his motion is light years better than Taylors. He can even launch a pretty good deep ball. He holds himself well when the play requires him to tuck it and run. I support the kid but Id like to see a big step up if he is to be the starter next year, seniority wont be the lone factor any more.

His throwing motion is better, but I'd still take Martinez as my QB ahead of Armstrong...