Johnny Stanton

I don't care if the QB is a terrible runner...I want a QB that can get rid of the ball quickly & make smart, accurate passes to receivers

I'm not saying I want us to never recruit dual threat QBs...just saying IMO good decision making, accuracy, & not turning the ball over are way more important at QB than whether or not he is a running threat

The quarterback doesn't need to be a running threat...that is the running backs job.

The quarterback's job is to command the offense & get the ball in the hands of the teams playmakers, make smart decisions & avoid turnovers. If the QB can do all these things & also be a running threat, awesome!

Exactly.

When you recruit a QB, you recruit a guy that can throw the damn ball. If he can run also, brilliant. But it should always be pass first.

I still think Tommy is a great passer, just needs some work. I think Stanton slingsit pretty well too. Bonus for Stanton is that he can put touch on the ball too. Tommy seems to struggle with touch passes. I hear a ton of good stuff about A.J. Bush from all the radio guys. Some say Bush might be the best passer of all of them. Stanton seems like the more powerful runner. Armstrong is kind of a true dual threat IMO.

Isn't it going to be amazing to see these,guys get some coaching and have their QB skills developed? It could shake up the entire position group. Hell, this whole depth chart could look different next year. I can't wait.

The quarterback doesn't need to be a running threat...that is the running backs job.

The quarterback's job is to command the offense & get the ball in the hands of the teams playmakers, make smart decisions & avoid turnovers. If the QB can do all these things & also be a running threat, awesome!

Amen

*looks at 3 of the 4 teams in the cfb playoff..*

Mariota - runner

Sims - runner

OSUs top 3 QBS - runner

Jameis - just good. Hasn't lost.

Petty - Passer

Boykin - runner..

All mobile QBs except Jameis..who can actually run if absolutely necessary and has been hobbled..

I'd say a dual threat QB, who is more of a passer first, is ideal. Too hard to stop in the college game.

For those people trying to claim that there was no favoritism shown at the QB spot - explain Ryker Fyfe getting pulled against Michigan State after scoring our (at the time) only TD on his first drive. Explain why Pelini never pulled Armstrong against Wisconsin

Fyfe may have snuck one in from the 20 or whatever, but at no time did I think he looked comfortable at QB and his passing was not accurate considering all the fuss some people were making about him. He looked to me like a good candidate to start for UN-Kearney. I still believe he was put at number two because they didn't want a quarterback controversy.......or the other two ,Stanton and Darlington, were injured and considered a risk.....or both.

Amen

Mariota - runner

Sims - runner

OSUs top 3 QBS - runner

Petty - Passer

Boykin - runner..

All mobile QBs except Jameis..who can actually run if absolutely necessary and has been hobbled..

I'd say a dual threat QB, who is more of a passer first, is ideal. Too hard to stop in the college game.

Note though, that all of those QBs are lethal passers who can run when needed. No one is saying mobility is a bad thing, but Bama and FSU are much more or a pro style system than a read option system. And while running QBs win lots of games, most who win National Titles are NFL caliber QB's, and more often than not, run systems that have a pro lean.

Onviously i agree thats its better to have a pass first qb. I know that. But if you got a qb that can run, to have the luxury of being able to sprinkle in designed qb runs and read options is exactly that. A luxury. Esp if riley can develop these into the good passers we need them to be. My issue with the past few years is that taylor and armstrong were not great passers, yet Beck at tomes would go full beck as is he had Tom Brady back there, and didnt nearly enough utilize the qb run game. Read option shoulda been our identity. That and play to the tight end down the seam.

Onviously i agree thats its better to have a pass first qb. I know that. But if you got a qb that can run, to have the luxury of being able to sprinkle in designed qb runs and read options is exactly that. A luxury. Esp if riley can develop these into the good passers we need them to be. My issue with the past few years is that taylor and armstrong were not great passers, yet Beck at tomes would go full beck as is he had Tom Brady back there, and didnt nearly enough utilize the qb run game. Read option shoulda been our identity. That and play to the tight end down the seam.

Throw to the tight end?! What madness is this?!

I don't know as read option is something you just sprinkle in. Draws, or bootlegs with a run/pass option are better suited to the pro-style offenses. Read option is one of those things that you really need to run a lot to get and keep a good feel for it.

Throw to the tight end?! What madness is this?!

I don't know as read option is something you just sprinkle in. Draws, or bootlegs with a run/pass option are better suited to the pro-style offenses. Read option is one of those things that you really need to run a lot to get and keep a good feel for it.

not necessarily.

Amen

Mariota - runner

Sims - runner

OSUs top 3 QBS - runner

Petty - Passer

Boykin - runner..

Note though, that all of those QBs are lethal passers who can run when needed. No one is saying mobility is a bad thing, but Bama and FSU are much more or a pro style system than a read option system. And while running QBs win lots of games, most who win National Titles are NFL caliber QB's, and more often than not, run systems that have a pro lean.

Thus....they are a threat to run. All defenses struggle against good passers that can kill you with thd run if needed.

Amen

Mariota - runner

Sims - runner

OSUs top 3 QBS - runner

Petty - Passer

Boykin - runner..

Thus....they are a threat to run. All defenses struggle against good passers that can kill you with thd run if needed.

Exactly. The threat to run = Less man to man coverage, more zone coverage. Easier to play QB when the looks they give you as a QB are not varied as greatly because zone allows defenders to look back at the QB, making it less likely for them to take off. Not to say it always works because you can still run against a zone, it just makes it harder.

Pelini's defense ate immobile NFL level QBs alive, in part, because we didn't have to worry about the run option. It's a nice option to have.

Its cool sock. I forgive you. Frost better be coming as OC still. : }

The Sock will do what he can. (Which is absolutely nothing fyi).
Sock you don't give yourself enough credit. You made this board quite interesting and probably set a record for the most activity in one thread

I recall a certain poster here named I Bleed Red that no doubt has that record locked up.

My take is that, like any new regime, a certain amount of "house cleaning" will be in order, within hours of the bowl game no doubt.

Every AD, head coach, etc will want to have 'their guy' while the old 'their guy' will not have as long a leash. While Stanton surely isn't MR's guy as of yet, like others have said, does have at least a connection there. Whereas Armstrong, who certainly wins his fair share of games is decidedly the former coaches' "guy".

It'll be interesting to see of there is a real competiton moving forward. Especially if they are really being coached up and evaluated on footwork, release point, accuracy, reads, absorption, leadership, attitude, toughness, poise, and all the other things a QB is supposed to be evaluated on---not since Z Taylor was here do I think we've had THAT type of guy.