Steele Contacted About Returning to Huskers

Mavric

Kevin Steele, currently the linebackers coach and special assistant to the head coach at Alabama, has been contacted through intermediaries to gauge his interest in returning to Nebraska, a source with direct knowledge said.

Steele, unavailable for comment, was the linebackers coach at NU from 1989 to 1994. He tutored first-team All-American Ed Stewart, while also having influence on the Huskers’ move to the 4-3 defense and practicing more 1s vs. 1s.

But Steele is best remembered as the recruiter of quarterback Tommie Frazier out of Florida, sparking the run toward three national championships.

The combination of defensive prowess and recruiting chops makes Steele a potential rock-star addition to Riley’s inner circle.

Steele, in his second stint at Alabama, was on the ground floor in 2007 putting together coach Nick Saban’s recruiting infrastructure. Steele returned to Alabama in 2013 as director of player personnel when NCAA rules were relaxed on hiring a recruiting staff. Steele added linebacker duties last February.

OWH

what would be his role on this team/staff? the only coaching position open is Wide Receivers.. would love to have him here, just curious what his role would be.

Kevin Steele, currently the linebackers coach and special assistant to the head coach at Alabama, has been contacted through intermediaries to gauge his interest in returning to Nebraska, a source with direct knowledge said.

Steele, unavailable for comment, was the linebackers coach at NU from 1989 to 1994. He tutored first-team All-American Ed Stewart, while also having influence on the Huskers move to the 4-3 defense and practicing more 1s vs. 1s.

But Steele is best remembered as the recruiter of quarterback Tommie Frazier out of Florida, sparking the run toward three national championships.

The combination of defensive prowess and recruiting chops makes Steele a potential rock-star addition to Rileys inner circle.

Steele, in his second stint at Alabama, was on the ground floor in 2007 putting together coach Nick Sabans recruiting infrastructure. Steele returned to Alabama in 2013 as director of player personnel when NCAA rules were relaxed on hiring a recruiting staff. Steele added linebacker duties last February.

OWH

what would be his role on this team/staff? the only coaching position open is Wide Receivers.. would love to have him here, just curious what his role would be.
Did you look at the date that that was posted? I'm guessing not

Steele, unavailable for comment, was the linebackers coach at NU from 1989 to 1994. He tutored first-team All-American Ed Stewart, while also having influence on the Huskers move to the 4-3 defense and practicing more 1s vs. 1s.

The combination of defensive prowess and recruiting chops makes Steele a potential rock-star addition to Rileys inner circle.

Steele, in his second stint at Alabama, was on the ground floor in 2007 putting together coach Nick Sabans recruiting infrastructure. Steele returned to Alabama in 2013 as director of player personnel when NCAA rules were relaxed on hiring a recruiting staff. Steele added linebacker duties last February.

OWH

Did you look at the date that that was posted? I'm guessing not

I always start at the beginning of the thread so I can follow conversation, missed that posting date. my bad..

Grant Muessel @Muessel 1m1 minute ago

A source told @brandonlvogel that Kevin Steele would've loved to coach the DL at Nebraska. Now he's the DC at LSU. Things worked out for Kev

I certainly hope things go well for him too but I was nervous about Neb hiring him as DC and that's not the hire I'd make if I'm LSU. Zook was rumored for the job, I'd have take him. When Steele got a defense to himself at Clemson it fizzled.