Steele Contacted About Returning to Huskers

Mavric

I am certainly not qualified to select coaches, but have to admit I am underwhelmed with this hire. If Coach Riley brings his whole staff, I will be very concerned.

Need quality recruiters more than anything else, talent makes coaches.

Bray was ranked as the 25th best recruiter in the country.

Harper and Rowan were big gets. Literally.

Sucks! RT @OWHbigred: Alabama LB coach Kevin Steele, a former #Huskers assistant, is no longe. http://t.co/CDK7fIGOl1 pic.twitter.com/fgZkjJoFpw

— Mike'l Severe (@MikelSevere) December 9, 2014

well sh#t...

Probably wanted the DC job

should have been given it IMO. not real thrilled with banker but we'll see how everything plays out.

Kevin Steele's track record as a DC is no better

True. My fix on Steele was recruiting based. We lack the big-time recruiter we need at this point. Orgeron, Frost, Steele, Lupoi, etc. We need one or two of those type of guys to put Nebraska firmly in the top 15-20 and give Riley a chance of competing with OSU.

The money is there, we certainly haven't broke the bank yet. I'd have to think they will eventually.

Sucks! RT @OWHbigred: Alabama LB coach Kevin Steele, a former #Huskers assistant, is no longe. http://t.co/CDK7fIGOl1 pic.twitter.com/fgZkjJoFpw Mike'l Severe (@MikelSevere) December 9, 2014

well sh#t...

Probably wanted the DC job
should have been given it IMO. not real thrilled with banker but we'll see how everything plays out.

Ones been fired and one hasn't.. Id say its worse.

Do not want my comments taken wrong. I am happy with the hiring of Coach Riley. I am very aware of all the things he has accomplished in a very tough conference. He will do a good job here. My concern is more with time lost.

I could NOT care less if Steele can coach a second. He runs Alabama's recruiting. That alone would make him worth as much as a DC or OC, for me about double. You can not win with out talent, no matter how good the coaching is.

Very disappointed in not getting Steele. Really did not think we would though, why would you leave Bama, top two in recruiting for the last 5 years. Past history would indicate they set up for another 3 NC in the next 5 years.

The splash hire is echoing in the media/coaching world, but is it in the recruiting area. Kids know about Oregon, do they even know Oregon State exists. He can get them to play whe they arrive, make stars out of above average kids, but to be on par with the National powers we are going to need more than that.

Still time left to make some great hires, but each day without them, makes getting top kids harder.

Not disappointed in the coaches, more so the claim that was made, and what we are seeing. I think Coach Riley is a good coach, but to get 5 star athletes in here, he is going to need help. Not saying we only need 5 star kids, but having a few looking at us and coming would help.

I am giving it a couple of years at the minimum, before I will worry about it too much.

Tom thought we paid too much when we hired Bo. I am wondering if Eichorst is still stuck in that money mode.

And I really wish it would move forward now. We are losing valuable recruiting time, we only have so many days left. A day lost is a catastrophe in recruiting. First, best, consistent and continuous conversation with the recruit. I think we may have dropped the ball there, from hearing from the kids. Not sure, not condemning by any means.

Get the hiring overwith, and get on the road. Is all I want.

It all boils down to what Nebraska wants to be. National Power, Relevant, or status quo. At this point, I honestly do not see a push to make Nebraska the best team in the land by Eichorst. If that is his choice or someone above who knows.

• Fire 3

Do not want my comments taken wrong. I am happy with the hiring of Coach Riley. I am very aware of all the things he has accomplished in a very tough conference. He will do a good job here. My concern is more with time lost.

I could NOT care less if Steele can coach a second. He runs Alabama's recruiting. That alone would make him worth as much as a DC or OC, for me about double. You can not win with out talent, no matter how good the coaching is.

Very disappointed in not getting Steele. Really did not think we would though, why would you leave Bama, top two in recruiting for the last 5 years. Past history would indicate they set up for another 3 NC in the next 5 years.

The splash hire is echoing in the media/coaching world, but is it in the recruiting area. Kids know about Oregon, do they even know Oregon State exists. He can get them to play whe they arrive, make stars out of above average kids, but to be on par with the National powers we are going to need more than that.

Still time left to make some great hires, but each day without them, makes getting top kids harder.

Not disappointed in the coaches, more so the claim that was made, and what we are seeing. I think Coach Riley is a good coach, but to get 5 star athletes in here, he is going to need help. Not saying we only need 5 star kids, but having a few looking at us and coming would help.

I am giving it a couple of years at the minimum, before I will worry about it too much.

Tom thought we paid too much when we hired Bo. I am wondering if Eichorst is still stuck in that money mode.

And I really wish it would move forward now. We are losing valuable recruiting time, we only have so many days left. A day lost is a catastrophe in recruiting. First, best, consistent and continuous conversation with the recruit. I think we may have dropped the ball there, from hearing from the kids. Not sure, not condemning by any means.

Get the hiring overwith, and get on the road. Is all I want.

It all boils down to what Nebraska wants to be. National Power, Relevant, or status quo. At this point, I honestly do not see a push to make Nebraska the best team in the land by Eichorst. If that is his choice or someone above who knows.

Great last line. I couldn't agree more.

I know on the board it seems that I'm anti Riley, I want to make it clear that I'm not anti MR. I actually think MR is going to be a solid coach for Nebraska, but selecting him forced Nebraska to bring in quality assistants to get him over the hump. Sure, coach Riley can coach us to victories, but we have to bring in better talent to push into 'National Power' territory.

If MR wants to bring in his old staff, that's fine. But it's a statement that Nebraska is hovering much closer to 'status quo' territory with the goal of getting into 'Relevant'. We needed great assistants to move into 'National Power' territory, and I feel like there was an opportunity for that to happen with this coaching change. So far, however, I feel like that opportunity is being lost. THAT is my biggest issue.

• Fire 2
  • 1 month later...

Obviously he didn't return this time but with this career track......

BREAKING: Per @BamaOnline247, Alabama linebackers coach Kevin Steele expected to be next #LSU defensive coordinator: http://lsu.247sports.com/Bolt/BREAKING-LSU-lands-Kevin-Steele-34719759

I was hoping he was an option here after his name was floated. Recruiting ties and such. Maybe we get him here someday.