Disappointed with all the negativity

Beemer13

I feel out of place, being one of not many Husker fans who knew about Mike Riley. Which is mostly due to having a friend that went to OSU. He always gushed over Riley and talked about how well he would do at a big time program. I hope he's right.

I don't get this?

Most knowledgeable fan-base in college football? Huh?

I've been shocked that about only 20% of the people on here know about Mike Riley. He was only the coach of the Chargers 15 years ago...he was on everyone's top 3 list in coaching hires 10 years ago.

Is everyone on this board 7 years old??????

You left out that he works for FOX News. :confucius

Well, there's probably always a good chance that any coach that is hired will not move the needle much. Outside of a few elite coaches who aren't budging, there really are no sure things (and, btw, they weren't always elite or sure things ... they worked their way there).

I agree that I wasn't blown away with the hire when he was announced, mostly because of his results at Oregon St.

But you simply cannot extrapolate future results, based on prior ones at a completely different school, completely different league, completely different resources, completely different fan base, etc, etc.

Here's the deal -- he's part of the Nebraska family now. He's Head Coach, and he seems like a quality guy. That's not changing. And no one knows how that will translate into wins.

He deserves the benefit of the doubt, and he deserves our support. He hasn't led the team out of the tunnel even one time ever -- not even in practice.

I think most Husker fans will come around. But it hasn't even been a week since Bo was officially fired. Things will eventually calm down.

• Fire 3

If Einchorst wouldn't of said money is no object that i dont think alot of people would question his move. They would of questioned it to an extent but maybe been like well this is what he could get. But when you say money isnt an issue you think hes gonna throw the bank vault and Saban, or Miles, or even Tressel to get the job done here. He didnt do that so alot of people are taken back by it.

Right after he said that he also said that a lot of programs have thrown money at problems and it hasn't worked. He simply was saying they were going to get the right person and money wasn't an issue.

My guess is you will see some very well paid assistants on this staff

Sports Illustrated reported that Mike Cavanaugh, Mark Banker and Bruce Read were coming to Nebraska.

,its not starting well for a high end staff It wouldn't surprise me now we keep our OC

I am a Husker fan through and through, but I can't help but be disappointed (borderline disgusted) with this hire. We fire a coach that went 9-3 for a guy who went 5-7 this year and is barely above .500 career? It doesn't make any sense. All the talk about he didn't have the resources at OSU to be successful and blah blah blah, is just talk. When I look at this guy I don't see a future Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Carroll, Tressel, Bielma, or big time coach. I see a guy who is not suited for being in the spotlight of a big time program.

When SE fired Pelini, I was expecting a splash hire... Mullen, Addazio, Schiano, etc., but what I feel we got is a dud. And I feel as though his recent hires only confirm my concerns. I wish him the best and will root for the team regardless, but I have a strong feeling this won't end well.

• Fire 1

Look--I'll bite.

First, I have no qualms with Riley as a person. In fact, I like the stories that I've seen posted about him coming out of OSU.

Having said that, the man has little more than a decent, half-complete reclamation project to his name. If he were coming to DoNU to be a CEO Head Coach, with quality coordinators at the helm, I would be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to Riley and Eichorst.

As its already was stated, we're going to have a man almost run out of OSU at the helm of our defense.

Of the currency of faith, there is little to go around in Lincoln. Riley's position coaches and coordinators needed to be home runs, since he is not. Right now, we're looking, at best, at a bloop single.

If Einchorst wouldn't of said money is no object that i dont think alot of people would question his move. They would of questioned it to an extent but maybe been like well this is what he could get. But when you say money isnt an issue you think hes gonna throw the bank vault and Saban, or Miles, or even Tressel to get the job done here. He didnt do that so alot of people are taken back by it.

People would have bitched about whatever coach was hired whether it was Riley, Tressel, Saban or Meyer. People would have found a reason to bitch. It's the nature of Huskerboard. Eichorst, believe it or not, was in a lose-lose situation. He wasn't going to make everyone happy.

Actually it's just the nature of having different opinions. It's not like those upset with the hire would have been upset with any hire. We each had a list. Some are unhappy about the hire. That's okay. It really is. You can be disappointed all you want...a lot of people are feeling disappointed about the hire. So what. Deal with it.

I'm with you Beemer. New coach, new hope. Big programs have wanted him. I see no value in anything but full support. If he does well, Eichorst is a genius. If he does fair, at least we won't be embarrassed by a temper tantrum throwing coach. If he fails, we'll try again, maybe with a new AD. But it's going to be good. Have a bit of patience for the turnover to the new staff, and I'll bet he takes us higher than we got with Bo or Cally.

I want to be with you, but then I get that vision of his record. I read more positives, then I get that vision of his record, more positives, more visions. One thing I am proud of is being part of the Husker fan family. Can't family members talk among themselves?

I suppose, but this is kind of like bitching and moaning about family members while sitting in a restaurant or at the mall or anywhere else in public, rather than in private. Anyone can hear you, and it just doesn't seem productive. Maybe there's nothing really wrong with it, but why start the new staff off on the wrong foot, and rub new recruits and current team members the wrong way? The guy has been hired, so there's nothing really to be done other than to support it, or at least wait and see, or to just stop following the Huskers, which you don't seem to want to do. Complaining about it is another clear option, but like I said, that doesn't seem productive, or fun. Put the scarlet colored glasses on for the off season, is my opinion.

I feel out of place, being one of not many Husker fans who knew about Mike Riley. Which is mostly due to having a friend that went to OSU. He always gushed over Riley and talked about how well he would do at a big time program. I hope he's right.

I don't get this?

Most knowledgeable fan-base in college football? Huh?

I've been shocked that about only 20% of the people on here know about Mike Riley. He was only the coach of the Chargers 15 years ago...he was on everyone's top 3 list in coaching hires 10 years ago.

Is everyone on this board 7 years old??????

Typically when the "most knowledgeable fans" phrase gets tossed around, it is in regard to things like strategy and team depth. Talking to lots of Nebraska fans over the years, about half of them never watch any non-Nebraska games, and their knowledge of the college football landscape primarily comes from long standing reputations of programs, and what they see from in game highlights. Add in that Pac12 games often start after the older people have been in bed for a couple of hours, the ignorance is easy to understand.

Its the unwillingness to learn and change ideas that is the aggravating part.

• Fire 2

Just a little side deal here. I saw how many posts there were about getting Tressel in here. I mean the sock puppet thread got me all kinds of feeling good. I know every program wants a "splash" hire or w/e the kids are calling it these days. Moreover, I know the blue bloods want splash hires even more than other programs, think they deserve them, and I get it.

But one must remember when OSU hired Tressel (after we just fired a hall of fame coach mind you because he couldn't beat Michigan, and he followed a hall of fame coach that got fired as well), he was coaching FCS team in NE Ohio; he wasn't a splash hire. Sure he had won many games there, but he was no where near a splash when we hired him--most people outside of Ohio had no idea who he even was. The guy's job who he took came over from Arizona State (again, he ended up in the hall of fame).

A program like Nebraska doesn't need a BS splash hire to have a hall of fame coach on its hands, just as your blue blood cousin OSU didn't. GBR

• Fire 3

I was one who was not pleased with the hire. You know what, thank goodness for disagreement!

Sports fans will always argue, debate, bitch and opine about their teams, and everyone else's teams. Its part of what makes it fun. Much of ESPN and sports talk radio revolves around programing that not only inspires discussion, but disagreement. Heck, this board would be boring as hell if we all agreed and had the same opinion on every topic. We spend some time here because we don't.

The bottom line is wins make people happy. We can try to create some artificial comfort in thinking it is different in Nebraska, but it isn't. If this coach wins, people will love him. If he wins less than nine games, or especially if he has losing seasons, there will be cries from Omaha to Scotts Bluff for the AD and coach to both be fired. That doesn't mean we have less pride, but the culture and history of this program has created expectations, and they are not going away. Thank goodness for that, I say.

Nebraska fans are very special. We travel as well as any in this great nation, we show up to home games and we are generally well informed about the game. We are passionate! Just don't think it is necessary to support every move with a blinders on without allowing that passion to voice its disapproval or disagreement once in a while. Times of change breed uncertainty and questions. How these questions will be answered will be up to the new coach, and I can't wait.

During the bowl, recruiting, and staff hiring, there will be more controversy coming soon. But make no mistake about it, we are all scarlet and cream. Life is good.