2014 College Football Playoff

Mavric

This thread is getting pretty long. What's the argument against just taking the P5 conference champs and maybe adding a qualified independent (or two...or three?) from the rest of the 128-team FBS teams?

A team that can't win its conference doesn't deserve to play for a national title.

A smaller team shouldn't be left out if its deserving. An undefeated Boise State should get a chance to play for all the marbles, too, for example. If we're going to have a system like that, the power 5 teams should break away from the rest of the FBS (or Division 1 or whatever we're supposed to refer to it as anymore). Considering the number of new Texas teams alone, the break makes more sense every year.

p.s. - I like to fool with stats and determine spreads from them. I had the winner right, using this method, for every CFP game. If I put TCU up against the playoff teams, the only one they wouldn't be favored against (in terms of my spread calculation) is Ohio State BUT that would have been the smallest spread of all the potential Ohio State games. If I put Baylor against them all, the result was the same but the spread in favor of Ohio State would have been slightly greater. This is not to say that the two Big XII teams that were left out were the legitimate #2 and #3 teams in the nation but that's just how it looks on paper to me.

To pick on my method, in hopes of showing it's a bit silly, I'll take this a step farther. If we just wanted to throw out records and take the teams that posted the best numbers, one from each P5 conference and one at-large team from outside the P5, the playoff would have included these teams (in descending order):

Michigan State

TCU

Georgia

Memphis

Clemson

Oregon

That's without weighting any stats nor applying any factor to account for strength of schedule. It's just the result of a straight evaluation of all the figures posted within nine categories - pass d/o, rush d/o, scoring d/o, total d/o, and turnover margin.

The top 25, by the rationale described above, is as follows:

Michigan State

Ohio State

TCU

Wisconsin

Baylor

Georgia

Mississippi State

Alabama

Memphis

Marshall

Boise State