New NU Offensive Line Coach Mike Cavanaugh

Does anyone know what their pass to run ratio was at OSU? Just read an article that said Oregon State has ranked in rushing offense the past six years: No. 113; No. 118, No. 101, No. 118, No. 96, No. 67. That us terrible even if you throw it all over the yard most plays. Is this because their running backs have been terrible? It just doesn't seem like his offensive lines have been opening up to many holes

They are maybe THE most pass happy attack in CFB. His O-Line is consistently top 5 to top 10 in Pass protection. Didn't OSU set a record for pass attempts in a game this year?
not sure about that but it will be interesting who he picks for an OC so we can get an idea of what kind of offense to expect, personally I don't think Riley having a June Jones like game plan will work very well in the cold weather big 10

He had two NFL QBs running the show in Sean Glennon and Sean Mannion. The guy tailors his offense to the personnel he has. He was much more run heavy when he had Steven Jackson at OSU. I wouldn't worry about it.

Glennon didn't go to OSU. As for their running game, their backs aren't good at all. Storm Woods and the other guy stink.

Did OSU set a record for pass attempts? No, you're thinking WAZZU.

I really like Coach Cav's personality as well. Like others have said he seems like he will fit right in in Nebraska. In one of the videos of him on Youtube the reporter asks him about turning down the USC job in 2013 so that is in addition to Alabama asking him if he had any interest. So yeah I'd say he's well thought of.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the assistants that Riley has kept in place around him are much like the staff that TO had in place. It seems like a bunch of guys who are just very loyal to Coach Riley and don't have dreams of being head coaches some day but just love coaching the positions they've always coached but are really good at what they do. Like TO's staff there is something to be said for that kind of continuity. I believe it was integral to us winning 3 of 4 during TO's last years. And nobody would have called those guys like Darlington and McBride and Tenopir and Solich hot coaching names for head coaching positions. Most of them didn't hit there stride until the last 10 or 15 years.

I really feel like we are getting pretty lucky bringing in this much coaching experience and continuity into our program. With the new level of talent these guys will have at their disposal and the walk-on program I could just see this thing explode.

• Fire 4

With the high level of OL talent we have brought in the last 2 years including this year and next you have to think coach Cav can put one Hell of a unit on the field

This is exactly what irked me about the previous staff and another of the key reasons I was just done with them. For all the talent we've brought in on the OL since Bo took over, for whatever reason it never translated into dominating OLs. Our best OL may have been 2011 that featured two walk-on starters. That just reeks of inability to develop your linemen.

Can't wait to see what this guy can do. Seems like a tough son of a gun!

I really like Coach Cav's personality as well. Like others have said he seems like he will fit right in in Nebraska. In one of the videos of him on Youtube the reporter asks him about turning down the USC job in 2013 so that is in addition to Alabama asking him if he had any interest. So yeah I'd say he's well thought of.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the assistants that Riley has kept in place around him are much like the staff that TO had in place. It seems like a bunch of guys who are just very loyal to Coach Riley and don't have dreams of being head coaches some day but just love coaching the positions they've always coached but are really good at what they do. Like TO's staff there is something to be said for that kind of continuity. I believe it was integral to us winning 3 of 4 during TO's last years. And nobody would have called those guys like Darlington and McBride and Tenopir and Solich hot coaching names for head coaching positions. Most of them didn't hit there stride until the last 10 or 15 years.

I really feel like we are getting pretty lucky bringing in this much coaching experience and continuity into our program. With the new level of talent these guys will have at their disposal and the walk-on program I could just see this thing explode.

Good post.

We'd better hope so. The alternative is that they're like... The staff Bo assembled. :o

Read some OSU fans comments and they were happy to see him go, they didn't like his recruiting or the fact that the o-line committed too many penalties.

Couldn't be any worse then what we have had. You know its bad when a stiff breeze causes a false start on your oline.

• Fire 1

I liked that video. I would line up and play my tail off for this guy and work with my teammates to become the best line in the conference.

Not to be misunderstood though. I wouldn't fight for him at the gates of hell because, well, that place just aint my thing.

http://m.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-huskers-overcame-iowa-with-talent-which-mike-riley-can/article_4073f302-c390-5090-af76-3ead0b2407f9.html?mode=jqm

36: Sacks Oregon State’s offensive line gave up this year, which ranked 109th nationally. In five years, Oregon State gave up 31.2 sacks per year and a sack once every 16.88 pass attempts. In that same span, Nebraska gave up an average of 24.2 sacks per year and a sack once every 14.5 pass attempts.