Mike Riley's performance so far

Dagerow

I'd rate his performance as fantastic with a side of poop. He's going out, talking to recruits, saying the right things, being a coach yada yada. And that's great because it's been awhile to see an actual coach for once.

But he is being poopy in regards to hiring a staff. Nebraska being thrifty and cheap. Overall id rate his staff 4 out of 5 poops. 5 poops being very very poopy.

• Fire 1

Mike Riley just secured the commitments of 3 players tonight.

Eric Lee

Avery Anderson

Stanley Morgan

But yeah, he sucks.

You beat me to it. Riley is on a roll. For all of those worried about who all his assistants are, please realize that this is his last week he can make in home visits until January, and I would rather him spend his time/energy firming up our recruits, and then get to finalizing his staff next week.

On a more serious note, Mike Riley was hired as the head coach of the University of Nebraska last Thursday. He's had to uproot his family on a short notice and move them to Lincoln and he has started to assemble the staff he feels will produce quality football here at NU. He has also started to contact recruits. All that in 5 days is pretty f'ing good if you ask me. Let's calm it down, okay?

Pretty good if you ask me, too. It's interesting the amount of hand wringing that's happening with regards to contacting recruits (especially when they tend to be contacted within the next 24 or 48 hours).

Since meeting with the team and being introduced at his presser, in the five days that have elapsed since then, I don't know how many hours Mike Riley could possibly have slept.

He's gone back to Oregon State, secured staff members. He's interviewing more staff members. He's hit the recruiting trail, calling and visiting recruits. He's as of day 5, secured three key recruits 100% to Nebraska. This time last week he didn't even know he was going to be our head coach. What's he doing next, I wonder?

gTFbEfDL_normal.jpegMike Riley @Coach_Riley[/size] · 30m30 minutes ago

Had a great time in Colorado with @AveryAnderson1 and @elee22_21! Next stop, HUGE stop, Missouri x2!!! #GBR

I wonder, when Bo Pelini was hired and still had to concentrate on LSU bowl prep through the month of December, how our recruiting follow-up was going then. Yet there ended up being plenty of time.

We're a few days away from a dead period and everything so far has been going at a sprint. These recruits are all going to get the new coaches' full attention before it's all said and done. I'd also hope that for every recruit, when they are called, the coaches actually have something substantive to say.

• Fire 1

Don't hate me all at once...But I've been wondering how much he'll be able to see his grandson...Sounds like it's an important part of his daily routine and as much as his wife and kids seem to love the Corvallis area, I imagine it will always be "home" for his immediate and extended family...Is his Son and/or Daughter moving to Lincoln too?

• Fire 2