Mike Riley's performance so far

Dagerow

It seems to me that the persistent whining about Riley is coming from a small contingent, most of which were Bo supporters. They are upset Bo was fired for his results on the field at Nebraska, not winning a conference championship despite having 7 years to do so. Because they are upset, they are unwilling to give the new coach his due time to produce ON THE FIELD. He will need time to instill his system with the existing set of players, while also building a team in the future (recruits in the next couple years) to align with his core coaching philosophies. I don't know many fans out there that were not willing to give Bo a fair shake when he arrived, and the same should be given for Riley.

I havent read any of the responses in this thread yet so as not to influence my honest opinion. As you can tell from my posts I have been highly critical of this hire. While Mike seems to have a calming effect on the program at this point, he also hasnt done anything that shows any of us his ability to actually be successful. Now that might not be fair because he hasnt had a chance to even field a team. But, hiring a bunch of cronies from your old gig does not do anything to convince me this is anything more than him just getting paid. SE stated resources were not an issue. Neither Mike nor SE have done anything since to prove that is actually the case. I'm not saying you just have to spend a bunch of money, because you dont and you need the right guys more than anything. However, I think we can all agree there were/are better hires out there.

Can you cite an example where an established coach went to a different school and didn't take members of his staff? I am interested and I expect that list to be either quite short or non-existent. Until then, calm down.

• Fire 1

To the OP. No this is what you want and maybe some other fans want. That is not what is necessarily best for the program or the coaching staff. He has to have guys he can trust and are going to be all in for his coaching style. Way to early to judge this guy at all.

I must have been inarticulate in my original post as many have misinterpreted what I meant to say. I agree that he needs to do what he thinks is best, and this wasn't meant to be s judgment on him generally, but rather raising a concern about the timeliness of his attempts to contact recruits. There's not much else to talk about right now (no one is addressing the bowl game), so I started a thread.

I havent read any of the responses in this thread yet so as not to influence my honest opinion. As you can tell from my posts I have been highly critical of this hire. While Mike seems to have a calming effect on the program at this point, he also hasnt done anything that shows any of us his ability to actually be successful. Now that might not be fair because he hasnt had a chance to even field a team. But, hiring a bunch of cronies from your old gig does not do anything to convince me this is anything more than him just getting paid. SE stated resources were not an issue. Neither Mike nor SE have done anything since to prove that is actually the case. I'm not saying you just have to spend a bunch of money, because you dont and you need the right guys more than anything. However, I think we can all agree there were/are better hires out there.

In order:

You're correct, to say he hasn't done anything to prove he's a good hire is unfair, borderline insane.

Cronies are guys like old golf coaches picked from the high school scrap heap. Some of these guys were entertaining offers from USC in the last.

We cannot all agree that there are better hires, this may be the best hire.

This board has lost it's mind.

So this is what its like when you defend a coach. (wipes tear from cheek)

• Fire 2

It appears that everyone got caught up in the stupid idea Jim Tressel would even be approached for this job. That idea that started was so unrealistic. His show cause hearing stuff was a downer from the start. People come on. Tressel is making alot of money from Ohio ST and now Youngstown ST. Ohio St payed him off "hush money". Why would he come to Nebraska and coach. Why would a fan base want a coach who isn't hungry to win. WHY.........

Riley I feel will bring in some great talent. He will find some hidden gems that end up Draft picks. He will build up QB's. He will recruit legit WR's. Offensive linemen that can actually block for longer than 1/10 of a second.

Despite what we think, its a done deal. No going back to BO or Tom. Move forward and for crying out loud, forget the 80's and 90's. No one is still living in those decades anymore. Football programs have evolved everywhere, except for maybe in this state.

It seems to me that the persistent whining about Riley is coming from a small contingent, most of which were Bo supporters.

And therefore living in denial...expecting Saban or Malzhan to come here.

It's difficult to coach in the Midwest these days. The talent is in the South and on the Coasts...and that's why the Pac-12 has gotten a bunch of hot coaches flocking to the conference.

Nebraska is lucky to have Riley. I'm surprised he left Oregon State...I think his style of O fits in well with the Big10 while it was starting to not fit in well with the hyper-aggressive Pac-12 (UCLA, Arizona, Oregon, ASU, hell even USC now)

Riley is safe personality-wise and not caustic...and he just might win football games. But there's no way in hell the administration was going to replace Bo with someone like Leach or anyone controversial...and Nebraska wasn't getting a "splash hire" whatever that means. A lot has changed in 20 years in CFB.

• Fire 1

In order:

You're correct, to say he hasn't done anything to prove he's a good hire is unfair, borderline insane.

Cronies are guys like old golf coaches picked from the high school scrap heap. Some of these guys were entertaining offers from USC in the last.

We cannot all agree that there are better hires, this may be the best hire.

This board has lost it's mind.

funny how people make a big deal about riley being ahead of the curve with social media when he basically just tweets. which is great, but not that impressive.

just like people are so impressed with chip kelley for speeding up the game. i know kelley is an offensive genius and everything, but they make such a big deal about the no huddle. football is an old game, and just now someone figured out that speeding up the pace is an advantage.

what i am saying is that football and advancements of the game sometimes seem pretty obvious after they occur.

but more on topic, i think we get a pretty good class yet this year.

What do you expect with MR this early in the game? The man has just been hired and is off and running with recruiting. He doesn't have all his coaches in place. I think some of you have unrealistic expectations for Nebraska. He may not have been first choice but it's a done deal. Let's give him, the coach's, and the team some time to adapt to a new system/program and after that let the criticisms fly. Until then, it is pure speculative!

What do you expect with MR this early in the game? The man has just been hired and is off and running with recruiting. He doesn't have all his coaches in place. I think some of you have unrealistic expectations for Nebraska. He may not have been first choice but it's a done deal. Let's give him, the coach's, and the team some time to adapt to a new system/program and after that let the criticisms fly. Until then, it is pure speculative!

I ask you what more should MR have done and successfully at Nebraska so far? C'mon really.