Gary Anderson leaves Wisconsin to replace Mike Riley at Oregon State

knapplc

Gary Andersen admits to @dennisdoddcbs that Wisconsin’s admissions standards played role in his exit to Oregon St: http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24982746/wisconsins-admission-standards-pushed-gary-andersen-to-oregon-state

Before Gary Andersen goes on, he wants to make one thing clear.

A part of his surprising departure from Wisconsin had to do with admission standards.
"It's been well [documented] there were some kids I couldn't get in school," the Badgers' former coach said. "That was highly frustrating to me. I lost some guys, and I told them I wasn't going to lose them.
"I think they did what they were supposed to do [academically] and they still couldn't get in. That was really hard to deal with."
Until this recent moment in Andersen's new Oregon State office, even that much wasn't certain. It had been referred to, but not out loud by Anderson, as the reason he left a Top 25 Big Ten gig for a Pac-12 bottom feeder.
Now we know. Admissions was probably the reason the 50-year-old Andersen arguably caused the biggest stir of the coaching silly season.
"That's not Wisconsin's fault," Andersen added. "That's Wisconsin's deal ... I want to surround myself with those kids I can get in school."

Bielema and Alvarez sure didn't show many problems on the field with their academic standards

I wouldn't say gary Anderson did bad either. Coaches want their own kids. He couldn't get the types of players he wants because of academics. That isn't the university's fault but if I couldn't get a bunch of very talented kids in who were interested because of academics then I would be pissed too. Just think of how many kids are in that pool of poor academics.

Bielema and Alvarez sure didn't show many problems on the field with their academic standards

I wouldn't say gary Anderson did bad either. Coaches want their own kids. He couldn't get the types of players he wants because of academics. That isn't the university's fault but if I couldn't get a bunch of very talented kids in who were interested because of academics then I would be pissed too. Just think of how many kids are in that pool of poor academics.

I didn't say he did bad either. I said the other 2 coaches did very well despite the standard

did he not know the standard when he took the job?

This is the $64,000 question.

I'm guessing that the academic standard thing is a BS answer. Reporters kept pressing him for why he left. He gave an answer that didn't make the University look bad, and didn't piss anyone off. I suspect he gave that answer to get reporters off his back and make the issue go away. IMHO.

I'm guessing that the academic standard thing is a BS answer. Reporters kept pressing him for why he left. He gave an answer that didn't make the University look bad, and didn't piss anyone off. I suspect he gave that answer to get reporters off his back and make the issue go away. IMHO.

Wisky is closer to NW when it comes to admissions. And Alvarez did say that you can forget about JUCOs, He also said it was clear when he offered the job. If I'm making a guess, he does not feel he can compete with OSU with the admissions limits.

Now as to why he thinks he can get better recruits to go to Oregon State is an interesting question. Sure, getting kids in is easier, but who will even answer the phone is much more limited.

Wisky is closer to NW when it comes to admissions. And Alvarez did say that you can forget about JUCOs, He also said it was clear when he offered the job. If I'm making a guess, he does not feel he can compete with OSU with the admissions limits.

Now as to why he thinks he can get better recruits to go to Oregon State is an interesting question. Sure, getting kids in is easier, but who will even answer the phone is much more limited.

I find that surprising. I mean, some of the Wisconsin grads I knowoye!

I find that surprising. I mean, some of the Wisconsin grads I knowoye!

Yeah, surprised me too, but they one of the hardest public colleges to get into, I have no idea on the logic behind it. I'm guessing for the grads, all the booze they drink over the 4 or 5 years might be the culprit there, leave with a fraction of the brain cells they went in with.

I kinda assumed his response was a prepared one as well. You accept the job offered, there has to be an underlying reason he took a downgrade. Either he did something bad and was allowed to go with dignity or he uncovered a dirty truth but doesnt want to be the rat.

i think there are other options.

I kinda assumed his response was a prepared one as well. You accept the job offered, there has to be an underlying reason he took a downgrade. Either he did something bad and was allowed to go with dignity or he uncovered a dirty truth but doesnt want to be the rat.

i think there are other options.

Yes there are. The UW administration discovered that he signed his name Gary 'Derson and decided an appostrophist was not appropriate HC material.