So what stage are you in with the hire?

So what stage are we at with the hire?  

156 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Still hate it, even though I will root for MR. It is clear most fans are trying to rationalize this hire, which still makes no sense.

Important question: a couple weeks ago, would have picked to keep Bo or fire Bo and hire MR? The vast majority, imo, would have picked to keep Bo.

You should set up a poll, my guess is you'd be wrong.

I was fine with this hire as soon as looked at the big picture surrounding Riley.

Why do people keep saying "splash hire"?

There's only one Urban Meyer and Nick Saban walking around and they weren't leaving just like Malzhan...hell, none of the SEC coaches are coming to Nebraska and none of new Pac-12 coaches were leaving...Peterson, Rich Rod, Graham, Leach, Sark.

Riley left because he never tried anything else in college but Oregon State and wanted to see what he could do at a big program before he retires.

What worries me about Riley is his drive. He can always probably go back to OSU with his tail between his legs if it doesn't work out...or simply retire. He got really comfortable at fielding mediocre teams at OSU. I don't know what fight he has in him.

Maybe deep down (the reason he took the job) is to prove he can win big (although he already has the respect of his colleagues and the media).

I would have preferred someone with a chip on their shoulder (not Bo idiot chip - but hungry) and younger.

But I like the Riley hire...he's a really good coach...just hope he keeps the passion as a coaches son.

Still hate it, even though I will root for MR. It is clear most fans are trying to rationalize this hire, which still makes no sense.

Important question: a couple weeks ago, would have picked to keep Bo or fire Bo and hire MR? The vast majority, imo, would have picked to keep Bo.

You should set up a poll, my guess is you'd be wrong.

I was fine with this hire as soon as looked at the big picture surrounding Riley.

most everyone had seen enough of Bo........it was mutual, as well. Just a little fresh air will be a start.......

I think your personal opinion/feelings are affecting how you think "most" fans feel. That's pretty natural I suppose. I would guess that somewherE north of 70% of fans would take Riley over Bo without much thought involved. And this very poll shoots down your theory that fans are "rationalizing" this hire. Heck the bottom 4 options combined are barely 20%. Pretty sure you can't classify the top 2 answers as rationalizing. It's ok, I'm sure you'll come around.

Why do people keep saying "splash hire"?

There's only one Urban Meyer and Nick Saban walking around and they weren't leaving just like Malzhan...hell, none of the SEC coaches are coming to Nebraska and none of new Pac-12 coaches were leaving...Peterson, Rich Rod, Graham, Leach, Sark.

Riley left because he never tried anything else in college but Oregon State and wanted to see what he could do at a big program before he retires.

What worries me about Riley is his drive. He can always probably go back to OSU with his tail between his legs if it doesn't work out...or simply retire. He got really comfortable at fielding mediocre teams at OSU. I don't know what fight he has in him.

Maybe deep down (the reason he took the job) is to prove he can win big (although he already has the respect of his colleagues and the media).

I would have preferred someone with a chip on their shoulder (not Bo idiot chip - but hungry) and younger.

But I like the Riley hire...he's a really good coach...just hope he keeps the passion as a coaches son.

ask skersfan how much age can actually be a factor on drive and motivation. Just sayin.....
  • Fire 1

Using the steps of dealing with loss implies that this coaching change was a "loss." The real death of the Husker dynasty occurred long ago. And yes I went through the steps then and each time we lose to OU or Wis. I definitely start at denial. I am now in "acceptance" of the fact that dominance will probably never again be the norm at NU. We will occasionally be relevant unless we get lucky and find a "Bob Stoops" type guy. I dont think OU would have returned to a high level without him. Riley is a nice guy and a good coach. He will probly have one maybe two good years (10 wins) at NU interspersed with some 8-9 win seasons. Then its off to some sunshine and we are back at square one again. I hope next time they get a younger prospect with intelligence, principles, in state ties and something to prove.

In acceptance. It was a head scratcher at first, but then you think about the positives you hear and think Hmmmmm, maybe this guy is just missing the centerpiece for becoming a title type coach. That center piece being Nebraska and its resources.

Lets see what happens. I am more interested in what we see two years and even 3 years from now. I want to see him with what he recruits first.

We all watched Bo coach up what Callahan left here. Actually was some of the best talent Bo coached. Really, I just said that, but other than SUH, it might not have been much better.

I am more interested in what we see two years and even 3 years from now. I want to see him with what he recruits first.

I am hoping those standard rules of coaching change don't apply here. MR's pattern has been to maximize the results with the talent you have. At least on offense he has shown flexibility in order to get the talent on the field, and get them the ball. Cally's offense and Bo's defense seemed to be far less flexible.

I would give him a couple of years to show results, but I don't think he will need that long

Here's some positive perspective. 16 years removed from our last national championship, I still think we have better fans and are a better destination overall than say... Wisconsin on their best day! You've got a heck of a program when you can "float" for 16 years and still be up at the top! GO HUSKERS!