OWH: High school coaches hoping in-state offers will increase with Mike Riley

zoogs

I don't totally understand why this is an issue...The staff...any staff...is going to try and take the best players that they can to fill the holes that they have. Do they miss on some, of course...

The second part and this one always bothers me...but this idea that a small town Nebraska kid will work harder or would "die" for the chance is a bit overblown. These guys are D1 players...they work hard...their time is accounted for and they are pretty much all busting their ass.

I think if you see "slacking" it is going to be at the end of the junior year and heading into the senior year, when you have not played at all and you know you are not going to play...you basically just start going through the motions.

I had a "friend" that walked on as a lineman...he did his time and never played but was on the team for 4 years...said he HATED it by the end...hated the practices the lifting the time commitment...said he would never workout again and he was totally over it. He was a Nebraska kid. But he said by the end, his last year, it was just a matter of counting down the days. He had NOTHING bad to say about the coaches or the program he was just done with it.

Here is the issue with me. The staff needs to be working with HS coaches to develop these kids the right way. Are Nebraska HS coaches well schooled in how to coach linemen? Receivers? QBs?

It seems like ever since TO/Solich left, there has been a distancing of the staff from Nebraska HS coaches because BC and BP didn't find any value in developing that relationship and building an asset here.

when TO was the coach, most schools in the state ran some type of option offense. This developed the linemen, QBs, WRs, RBs...etc. to run that type of offense.

Now, take someone like Fyfe. What if his HS coach was working closely with a really good coach at the Huskers teaching him the right techniques of throwing, reading defenses, understanding a passing attack. Think about how much more developed he would have been once he got to Nebraska and ready to compete with these kids from Texas and California.

It's a little bit like writing off our current QBs claiming they have no talent and they should all just sit the bench because next year's recruit is going to be so much better. Meanwhile, they haven't received the proper coaching that develops them into what they potentially could be.

I disagree that the NU coaches need to work with the HS coaches to develop the kids. The NU coaches have enough on their plate to worry about what the high school teams are doing in the state. Also, the high school coaches are going to run things the way they see fit.

The reason most teams in high school ran "the same offense" as Nebraska, is because that was the thought of the day. That was 20 years ago. Today, high school coaches now think that running a spread offense, where they can control the play calling from the sidelines is the easiest thing to do. The high school coaches are trying to win games and develop kids. It's not their job to send kids off to play at Nebraska.

I disagree that the NU coaches need to work with the HS coaches to develop the kids. The NU coaches have enough on their plate to worry about what the high school teams are doing in the state. Also, the high school coaches are going to run things the way they see fit.

The reason most teams in high school ran "the same offense" as Nebraska, is because that was the thought of the day. That was 20 years ago. Today, high school coaches now think that running a spread offense, where they can control the play calling from the sidelines is the easiest thing to do. The high school coaches are trying to win games and develop kids. It's not their job to send kids off to play at Nebraska.

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm not saying they need to be at their practices...etc. But, coaches camps, clinics, teaching podcasts...etc. don't take that much time and it develops relationships that can foster future talent to the team.

Another thing that wouldn't take much time is if the staff would explain to the NSAA how important spring ball would be to developing that talent. How about NSAA sponsoring 7 on 7 leagues in the summer? These are all things the staff can help develop for the state and in turn, help feed talent to the program.

How about the University program holding a 7 on 7 tournament for Nebraska HS teams in maybe July? Work on this through the NSAA.

I'm not saying they need to be at their practices...etc. But, coaches camps, clinics, teaching podcasts...etc. don't take that much time and it develops relationships that can foster future talent to the team.

Another thing that wouldn't take much time is if the staff would explain to the NSAA how important spring ball would be to developing that talent. How about NSAA sponsoring 7 on 7 leagues in the summer? These are all things the staff can help develop for the state and in turn, help feed talent to the program.

How about the University program holding a 7 on 7 tournament for Nebraska HS teams in maybe July? Work on this through the NSAA.

They have 7 on 7 leagues/camps...Not at NU for some reason (or, not that I know of) but at UNK

There is no spring ball but most teams are working year round, most, not all.

I think a 7 on 7 tourney at UNL would be very cool...that is a good idea.

I don't like the idea of working with NU coaches, for the reasons that ColoHusker said...the NU coaches don't have the time and most high school coaches don't want it done that way. They like getting some drills and practice ideas but that is about it.

I don't totally understand why this is an issue...The staff...any staff...is going to try and take the best players that they can to fill the holes that they have. Do they miss on some, of course...

The second part and this one always bothers me...but this idea that a small town Nebraska kid will work harder or would "die" for the chance is a bit overblown. These guys are D1 players...they work hard...their time is accounted for and they are pretty much all busting their ass.

I think if you see "slacking" it is going to be at the end of the junior year and heading into the senior year, when you have not played at all and you know you are not going to play...you basically just start going through the motions.

I had a "friend" that walked on as a lineman...he did his time and never played but was on the team for 4 years...said he HATED it by the end...hated the practices the lifting the time commitment...said he would never workout again and he was totally over it. He was a Nebraska kid. But he said by the end, his last year, it was just a matter of counting down the days. He had NOTHING bad to say about the coaches or the program he was just done with it.

makes perfect sense, work hard, knowing only an injury will get you playing time........sucks.

Yeah, and this kid was like...8th string center

They have 7 on 7 leagues/camps...Not at NU for some reason (or, not that I know of) but at UNK

I don't like the idea of working with NU coaches, for the reasons that ColoHusker said...the NU coaches don't have the time and most high school coaches don't want it done that way. They like getting some drills and practice ideas but that is about it.

That makes no sense to me. You have the best coaching staff in the state and you don't want them at least trying to teach the HS coaches how to properly coach these kids.

No wonder we don't develop football talent in this state.

That makes no sense to me. You have the best coaching staff in the state and you don't want them at least trying to teach the HS coaches how to properly coach these kids.

+1

How? Where? When?

Like I said, they (we) enjoy getting drills and practice ideas, but, what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. When are all these high school coaches going to Lincoln, for how long?

Number of Nebraska players signed by the Huskers (Rivals' web site goes back to 2002):

2014 - 3

2013 - 1

2012 - 1

2011 - 4

2010 - 4

2009 - 2

2008 - 5

2007 - 2

2006 - 4

2005 - 3

2004 - 5

2003 - 5

2002 - 7

So in-state guys definitely declined under Pelini. But there were a lot of busts in those previous years guys: Cory Timm, Dane Todd, Andy Birkel, Brandon Teamer, Andy Christensen, Clayton Sievers, Robert Rands, Jeff Souder, DJ Jones, Ben Martin and Corey Young under Solich and Callahan plus Micah Kreikmeier, John Levorson and Collins Okafor in the broken class of 2008. That's a lot of misses.

I'd say 2-3 is pretty realistic for most years from in-state. There just isn't enough talent to justify more than that. Pelini averaged 2.5 per year in the classes he got to recruit the full class. And only the years where he took four did he really have misses indicating he took too many.

Bo took some some marginal guys as walk-ons who ended up working out very well - Burtch, Reilly, Gangwish, Janovich - so the opportunity is there if they guys will take it. But, as was mentioned, the only guys we really should have offered but didn't are Ott and probably Phillips. We offered Phillips but after Stanford did and Ott was in a small class where we took McMullen and Moss so it's not like we didn't do well recruiting DEs that year. Two guys we should have had but didn't is pretty small compared to the number of guys who we took but should have passed on in previous years.

You almost need to subtract the 3 Cottons, or at least * them, who likely wouldn't have been here without the connection.

Ott, Phillips. I'd throw in that Lechner (sp?) kid that went to Ohio - and the Cambridge wrestler. Hopefully Vick/Johnson don't prove to be recent misses, but I think they might.

Shoff is the kid from Cambridge. He ended up going to SDSU and was/is their starting center. I would have taken him over any of the others that we "might" have missed on from Nebraska. Best athlete IMO to come out of Nebraska in the last couple years.

So far we have:

Drew Ott

Harrison Phillips

Derrius Vick

CJ Johnson

Kyle Emanuel

RJ Urzendowski

Trey Carr

Mike Shoff

Jon Lechner

I would say that is some pretty big misses. Anybody else?

And how many play for a D1 school...3-4?

Lets not act like SDSU or any of the other schools are the same as Nebraska. Shoff wasn't offered because the coaches were worried about his knee that he had surgery and had him perform at camp. He also wanted to wrestle in college and the coaches didn't like that idea. That is why he didn't go to Iowa either because they weren't going to allow it.

The jury is still out on Johnson and Phillips.

If you can start at NDSU over the last 4 years, I like your chances at Nebraska.

LOL...Okay

NDSU has been a good/great program the last 4-5 yrs but lets not act like it is the same as playing for Nebraska. You act like these kids were top rated talent in the state that Nebraska over looked and you are wrong. I have no issue offering the best kids in state but that is as far as we should go. If we are going to take a chance on a kid, I would rather grab a kid from a HS that produces D1 players regularly from out of state over some kid in Nebraska that comes from a school that might produce 1-2 players over a number of years. Why do you think top college coaches continually go to powerhouse high schools across the nation to get kids and those kids don't have to be the best on their respected teams.

Again, We do need to keep the best kids in state and grab the best ones from the surrounding states but that is about it.

Last I checked, NU still holds coaching clinics for local and national HS coaches. It should be those HS coaches duties to past that knowledge on to their players.

Last I checked, NU still holds coaching clinics for local and national HS coaches. It should be those HS coaches duties to past that knowledge on to their players.

Exactly! Lots of guys I know get coaching drills and ideas from the clinics...I don't know how much more people want? Perhaps we can all pull a Joe Moglia and join the staff as an unpaid intern...while still teaching and coaching at our schools...so that we can learn more.

Now, it is not our "duty" to pass it along to our players because there are only so many things we use and/or need. But the stuff that is useful to each coach/school is going to be taught.

Number of Nebraska players signed by the Huskers (Rivals' web site goes back to 2002):

2014 - 3

2013 - 1

2012 - 1

2011 - 4

2010 - 4

2009 - 2

2008 - 5

2007 - 2

2006 - 4

2005 - 3

2004 - 5

2003 - 5

2002 - 7

So in-state guys definitely declined under Pelini. But there were a lot of busts in those previous years guys: Cory Timm, Dane Todd, Andy Birkel, Brandon Teamer, Andy Christensen, Clayton Sievers, Robert Rands, Jeff Souder, DJ Jones, Ben Martin and Corey Young under Solich and Callahan plus Micah Kreikmeier, John Levorson and Collins Okafor in the broken class of 2008. That's a lot of misses.

I'd say 2-3 is pretty realistic for most years from in-state. There just isn't enough talent to justify more than that. Pelini averaged 2.5 per year in the classes he got to recruit the full class. And only the years where he took four did he really have misses indicating he took too many.

Bo took some some marginal guys as walk-ons who ended up working out very well - Burtch, Reilly, Gangwish, Janovich - so the opportunity is there if they guys will take it. But, as was mentioned, the only guys we really should have offered but didn't are Ott and probably Phillips. We offered Phillips but after Stanford did and Ott was in a small class where we took McMullen and Moss so it's not like we didn't do well recruiting DEs that year. Two guys we should have had but didn't is pretty small compared to the number of guys who we took but should have passed on in previous years.

You almost need to subtract the 3 Cottons, or at least * them, who likely wouldn't have been here without the connection.

Ott, Phillips. I'd throw in that Lechner (sp?) kid that went to Ohio - and the Cambridge wrestler. Hopefully Vick/Johnson don't prove to be recent misses, but I think they might.

Shoff is the kid from Cambridge. He ended up going to SDSU and was/is their starting center. I would have taken him over any of the others that we "might" have missed on from Nebraska. Best athlete IMO to come out of Nebraska in the last couple years.

So far we have:

Drew Ott

Harrison Phillips

Derrius Vick

CJ Johnson

Kyle Emanuel

RJ Urzendowski

Trey Carr

Mike Shoff

Jon Lechner

I would say that is some pretty big misses. Anybody else?

And how many play for a D1 school...3-4?

Lets not act like SDSU or any of the other schools are the same as Nebraska. Shoff wasn't offered because the coaches were worried about his knee that he had surgery and had him perform at camp. He also wanted to wrestle in college and the coaches didn't like that idea. That is why he didn't go to Iowa either because they weren't going to allow it.

The jury is still out on Johnson and Phillips.

If you can start at NDSU over the last 4 years, I like your chances at Nebraska.

LOL...Okay

NDSU has been a good/great program the last 4-5 yrs but lets not act like it is the same as playing for Nebraska. You act like these kids were top rated talent in the state that Nebraska over looked and you are wrong. I have no issue offering the best kids in state but that is as far as we should go. If we are going to take a chance on a kid, I would rather grab a kid from a HS that produces D1 players regularly from out of state over some kid in Nebraska that comes from a school that might produce 1-2 players over a number of years. Why do you think top college coaches continually go to powerhouse high schools across the nation to get kids and those kids don't have to be the best on their respected teams.

Again, We do need to keep the best kids in state and grab the best ones from the surrounding states but that is about it.

Last year's Super 6 included both Urzendowski and Carr...

You just don't see it the way I do, and that's okay. I have a little bit of "insider" knowledge on this subject, thought I would share it. Coaches are hoping for more contact and respect from this staff. They have more contact from Wisconsin, Oregon, and Kansas State than Nebraska about kids in their programs. All teams that have been far better than NU on the field recently.

It is just nice to be excited about our program again.