OWH: High school coaches hoping in-state offers will increase with Mike Riley

zoogs

Could someone please tell me the D1 studs from Nebraska that the past coaching staff missed on? I no there was Drew Ott and a couple others but its not like they missed on guys every year. Starting at a Dakota school and starting at Nebraska in the Big Ten aren't the same. People would have a stroke if there were 20+ Nebraska scholarship players here warming the bench and complaining about wasted scholarships like with Tyler Evans, Collins okafor or Micah kreikemeier. I just have a hard time believing you can pull more than 4-5 guys from instate each year and that would still mean you're signing 15 out of state kids each year.

HuskerExtraBC Brian Christopherson

Omaha North's Larry Martin says the skill position players in-state are better than the recruiting attention they get http://t.co/EoRwIMi3PU

about 16 hours ago

HuskerExtraBC Brian Christopherson

Martin on Nebraska HS skill players: "If they were in the southern states, they would be recruited a lot heavier. I truly do believe it."

about 16 hours ago

I know we don't have much population. But, there is still room for improvement in this area.

Jason Ankrah@JAnkrah 11h

"@FootballScoop: Good info from Scout re: where D-1 signees come from http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1405582.html ">>on thecome up DC!

D-1 Signees Per Capita Leaders with (Population)

1. Alabama (4.8) 18.96
2. Louisiana (4.64) 18.28
3. Florida (19.5) 17.08
4. Hawaii (1.4) 17.07
5. Georgia (9.92) 17.06
6. D.C. (640K) 15.49
7. Mississippi (2.99) 14.85
8. Texas (26.1) 14.44
9. Ohio (11.6) 13.4
10. Oklahoma (3.81) 9.92

Problem is, there isn't one state anywhere close to us in the top 10.

• Fire 1

I know we don't have much population. But, there is still room for improvement in this area.

Jason Ankrah@JAnkrah 11h

"@FootballScoop: Good info from Scout re: where D-1 signees come from http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1405582.html ">>on thecome up DC!

D-1 Signees Per Capita Leaders with (Population)

1. Alabama (4.8) 18.96

2. Louisiana (4.64) 18.28

3. Florida (19.5) 17.08

4. Hawaii (1.4) 17.07

5. Georgia (9.92) 17.06

6. D.C. (640K) 15.49

7. Mississippi (2.99) 14.85

8. Texas (26.1) 14.44

9. Ohio (11.6) 13.4

10. Oklahoma (3.81) 9.92

Problem is, there isn't one state anywhere close to us in the top 10.

All you have to do is get those kids and their parents on a plane to Omaha, and then a short drive to Lincoln!!!

• 7 months later...

Bumped from Mavric's link in the Fant recruiting thread.

As the NCAA recruiting dead period lifted Thursday and Nebraska staffers spread out around the country, Husker head coach Mike Riley made the short but important drive up Interstate 80 to Omaha.

And Riley said later Thursday night that he came with a purpose.
Our goal for the future will be to own this state — and obviously that means Omaha,” Riley said at the Outland Trophy banquet. “I made my first visit to high schools today. Doing a couple home visits. This is the start for us. We’re just getting going. But that’s our intention.”
That kind of devotion would likely go over fine with Nebraska high school football coaches, several of whom told The World-Herald last month that they looked forward to a potential heavier Husker emphasis on in-state recruiting.
One thing, he told me, was that their No. 1 priority was the state of Nebraska,” Omaha Central coach Jay Ball said. “And on the first day available, being back here in Omaha, that says a lot.”

OWH

Obviously, there is still some work to do. I have faith they can get it done.

Seams like we were hearing the EXACT same thing when Bo was hired. We can "own" the state, but if the talent isn't here it doesn't make much of a difference. Bo certainly missed on a few that should have been offered though - but it's not as though it would have made that much of a difference in the end.

"at da endada day."