OWH: High school coaches hoping in-state offers will increase with Mike Riley

zoogs

There are probably somewhere between 5-10 football players in the class C-D ranks that have the physical ability to play division 1 football. They have the measurable to play. The problem is that they are not nearly as developed as players from other states so because of that they are a much bigger risk.

A lot of these guys are 6'4" 240lb maybe played fullback or tailback, played linebacker in HS and were really good athletes but maybe not at the positions they played in HS. They may run a 4.8 forty, but that is not good enough to play those positions at the D-1 level. Put 50lbs on them and they have the potential to be solid d tackles or guards and centers on offense. Most these kids end up playing at div 2 or 1AA schools.

These guys can play they are just a big risk. That's why they want them to walk on.

The toughest part of projecting the success of Nebraska high school kids to the next level is the level of competition that they face each week, especially if the kid plays in the lower classes (C or D). Yes, it's tough to project high school kids anyway, but when there is a true lack of competition within the state, then a kid can stand out more than usual.

I don't know if Bo and his staff looked at kids in this state "fairly", but it looks like he had some misses with Drew Ott and Harrison Phillips. I would think that NU could get some good linemen (both offense and defense) within the state and bordering states. The tough part is to do with the skill players that come from Nebraska.

This is all something that somehow, TO really understood.

I firmly believe that if the Makovicka brothers were coming through school right now, they wouldn't even get looked at because they come from such a small school. Nebraska coaches that didn't grow up here and know the state just don't understand where and how to look for players in areas like that.

Yet, the Mackovicka brothers came to NU as walk-ons, and they played a position that is nearly extinct in today's football. Nowadays, those same kids that went to NU as walk-ons, are now going to Ohio or Wyoming or a FCS school because the cost of going to college is so expensive.

Those same players are recruited by Nebraska and play on special teams as well as two plays on Senior Day. Would a talented quarterback from Wood River still be recruited today? I'm thinking so.

Scott Frost was more than a "talented QB from Wood River". He was a special athlete, regardless of the size of town he was from. But, look at guys like Bronson Marsh from Millard South or that kid from Waverly that came to NU as QB's. Those guys dominated high school play, but didn't do anything at the college level.

There are probably somewhere between 5-10 football players in the class C-D ranks that have the physical ability to play division 1 football. They have the measurable to play. The problem is that they are not nearly as developed as players from other states so because of that they are a much bigger risk.

A lot of these guys are 6'4" 240lb maybe played fullback or tailback, played linebacker in HS and were really good athletes but maybe not at the positions they played in HS. They may run a 4.8 forty, but that is not good enough to play those positions at the D-1 level. Put 50lbs on them and they have the potential to be solid d tackles or guards and centers on offense. Most these kids end up playing at div 2 or 1AA schools.

These guys can play they are just a big risk. That's why they want them to walk on.

The toughest part of projecting the success of Nebraska high school kids to the next level is the level of competition that they face each week, especially if the kid plays in the lower classes (C or D). Yes, it's tough to project high school kids anyway, but when there is a true lack of competition within the state, then a kid can stand out more than usual.

I don't know if Bo and his staff looked at kids in this state "fairly", but it looks like he had some misses with Drew Ott and Harrison Phillips. I would think that NU could get some good linemen (both offense and defense) within the state and bordering states. The tough part is to do with the skill players that come from Nebraska.

This is all something that somehow, TO really understood.

I firmly believe that if the Makovicka brothers were coming through school right now, they wouldn't even get looked at because they come from such a small school. Nebraska coaches that didn't grow up here and know the state just don't understand where and how to look for players in areas like that.

Yet, the Mackovicka brothers came to NU as walk-ons, and they played a position that is nearly extinct in today's football. Nowadays, those same kids that went to NU as walk-ons, are now going to Ohio or Wyoming or a FCS school because the cost of going to college is so expensive.

Those same players are recruited by Nebraska and play on special teams as well as two plays on Senior Day. Would a talented quarterback from Wood River still be recruited today? I'm thinking so.

Scott Frost was more than a "talented QB from Wood River". He was a special athlete, regardless of the size of town he was from. But, look at guys like Bronson Marsh from Millard South or that kid from Waverly that came to NU as QB's. Those guys dominated high school play, but didn't do anything at the college level.

Come to think of it, Osborne lost Frost to Stanford.....that guy really let us down with the instate recruiting. Hehe.

I played class D. There are nowhere near ten D1 football athletes yearly in those ranks. The thing about C-D schools is you do everything. Football, basketball, track, baseball, wrestling, choir, band etc. Most students in these schools are too busy to focus solely on football. The amount of development time most would need would be much greater than from some 4A Texas school where he plays football year round. FWIW, a 4.8 forty is probably pretty fast for a RB in a class D school.

I said C and D that makes a lot bigger pool than just D ball. I also said 5-10 not at least 10. A 4.8 forty isn't even that fast in 8 man football. My point was is that it is tough to project these kids to D-1 level, and there is a lot more that goes into it than physical ability.

I have a friend who's kid walked on at Nebraska and was on the team for the first 4 years of Pelini's tenure. He was 6'4" about 240 coming out of high school. Very smart tested very well athletically, but didn't really have the desire/mean streak/killer instinct to really go to the level to actually get any playing time. Basically he was too nice . Got his weight up to about 285 and played guard. Was a valued part of the scout team, because he was so smart and could pick up the other teams offense easily. He was athletic enough to play at that level, but didn't have the intangibles.

Hope they don't.......we hear these homer stories every time, as if the championship teams were made up of mostly locals and walkons. Better recruit the populated areas instead and quit all this nostalgia and wishful thinking.

There are Nebraska kids playing football for better and higher ranked teams than the Huskers. Stanford has a good one right now. Kansas St. doesn't mind poaching our best players.

The best players in this state should be playing for Nebraska.

We aren't talking about all out devotion to recruiting this state. It's our own back yard! It's easy to know where the best players are and to evaluate them. Quit bitching about access to a private plane and just get in a car, drive an hour, and check out a game.

Secondly, why do we act like we are recruiting ready to play all stars? The college game is where these kids are developed. Were we not able to evaluate the basic strengths of a player such as footwork and upper body strength? Hand strength? Or maybe, just maybe we knew player development wasn't a strong suit.

I don't know. I'm glad the circus tents are gone and the show has left town.

Everything we've heard about Riley says he's a talent evaluator, teacher and developer. Not a doubt in my mind he knows how to spot teachable kids and mold them. I know it's kind of a new concept for some of you. It's been awhile since we developed a player. Obviously recruiting Texas and Cali's three and four star players has just been miraculous for the former staff.....#9wins.

So you're saying Bo didn't recruit Nebraska players? Seems like we hear that line of bull from the local sports writers who are perpetually desperate for a story every time there's a coaching change. The only one I know who missed big time was Callahan (and to some extent Solich) who thought Danny Woodhead wasn't big enough. I'm all for recruiting locals and the walkon program, but let's not turn it into some big failure of the former staff just because we're hurting for a story. And another thing, let's not act like we're the only program in the country that encourages walkons and develops unrecruited no-star players.......every school does.

Oh, and Callahan more than made up for missing Woodhead when he got back to the NFL.

I never said Bo didn't recruit Nebraska. Maybe he just didn't recruit Nebraska well enough. The whole premise of this topic is that coaches just want to see an increase in in-state offers.

The author didn't just make this up out of thin air. There's a lot of people who don't think the best players in this state we're given a very hard look. Obviously this article is based off the opinions of some local HS coaches. So who knows better than those guys if their players were even scouted or noticed by the former staff? These coaches know. And they're the ones saying it. The writer just wrote the article.

I like the talent on the team right now. All I said was that I'd like to see the best players in this state stay in this state. These HS coaches feel like there wasn't a lot of effort from the previous staff in making sure that happened. I think it's something the next staff should try to do if possible. I wouldn't ask them to pass on a more talented player at the same position just because the other player is from Nebraska.

Hope they don't.......we hear these homer stories every time, as if the championship teams were made up of mostly locals and walkons. Better recruit the populated areas instead and quit all this nostalgia and wishful thinking.

There are Nebraska kids playing football for better and higher ranked teams than the Huskers. Stanford has a good one right now. Kansas St. doesn't mind poaching our best players.

The best players in this state should be playing for Nebraska.

We aren't talking about all out devotion to recruiting this state. It's our own back yard! It's easy to know where the best players are and to evaluate them. Quit bitching about access to a private plane and just get in a car, drive an hour, and check out a game.

Secondly, why do we act like we are recruiting ready to play all stars? The college game is where these kids are developed. Were we not able to evaluate the basic strengths of a player such as footwork and upper body strength? Hand strength? Or maybe, just maybe we knew player development wasn't a strong suit.

I don't know. I'm glad the circus tents are gone and the show has left town.

Everything we've heard about Riley says he's a talent evaluator, teacher and developer. Not a doubt in my mind he knows how to spot teachable kids and mold them. I know it's kind of a new concept for some of you. It's been awhile since we developed a player. Obviously recruiting Texas and Cali's three and four star players has just been miraculous for the former staff.....#9wins.

So you're saying Bo didn't recruit Nebraska players? Seems like we hear that line of bull from the local sports writers who are perpetually desperate for a story every time there's a coaching change. The only one I know who missed big time was Callahan (and to some extent Solich) who thought Danny Woodhead wasn't big enough. I'm all for recruiting locals and the walkon program, but let's not turn it into some big failure of the former staff just because we're hurting for a story. And another thing, let's not act like we're the only program in the country that encourages walkons and develops unrecruited no-star players.......every school does.

Oh, and Callahan more than made up for missing Woodhead when he got back to the NFL.

I never said Bo didn't recruit Nebraska. Maybe he just didn't recruit Nebraska well enough. The whole premise of this topic is that coaches just want to see an increase in in-state offers.

The author didn't just make this up out of thin air. There's a lot of people who don't think the best players in this state we're given a very hard look. Obviously this article is based off the opinions of some local HS coaches. So who knows better than those guys if their players were even scouted or noticed by the former staff? These coaches know. And they're the ones saying it. The writer just wrote the article.

I like the talent on the team right now. All I said was that I'd like to see the best players in this state stay in this state. These HS coaches feel like there wasn't a lot of effort from the previous staff in making sure that happened. I think it's something the next staff should try to do if possible. I wouldn't ask them to pass on a more talented player at the same position just because the other player is from Nebraska.

Fair enough......let's keep track of this and see what difference it makes.

I played class D. There are nowhere near ten D1 football athletes yearly in those ranks. The thing about C-D schools is you do everything. Football, basketball, track, baseball, wrestling, choir, band etc. Most students in these schools are too busy to focus solely on football. The amount of development time most would need would be much greater than from some 4A Texas school where he plays football year round. FWIW, a 4.8 forty is probably pretty fast for a RB in a class D school.

No it isn't.

No it isn't.

Are we talking hand held or electronic times?

The thing that stands out to me is that a HS player from Nebraska has dreamed his whole life of putting on that helmet and competing as a Husker. I have no doubt that these guys will bust their tails off every day all year for a chance to be among the 2 depth. I hope we can bring in more Nebraskans into the program going forward. They might not turn into starters among skill players or the quarterbacks, but they will find a place with that extra effort in special teams, lineman, or whatever positions that need competition pushed to the highest level. Husker kids will do that to out of state commits.

The current roster has 43% from the state of Nebraska (59 out of 136)

1997-98 team had 58% from the state. More players back then (110 Neb out of 188)

We do need the best players we can get, but sometimes those guys just don't pan out as much as they were hyped.