Riley's "Smorgasbord" Offense

Mavric

He didn't say multiple because he didn't mean multiple. He doesn't run a mishmash of various offensive philosophies.

its another way to say .......multiple, but he needs to establish a core philosophy, i think, for the offense...i have a wait and see attitude, relax everyone.

he knows enough to avoid the "m" word!

He didn't say multiple because he didn't mean multiple. He doesn't run a mishmash of various offensive philosophies.

its another way to say .......multiple, but he needs to establish a core philosophy, i think, for the offense...i have a wait and see attitude, relax everyone.

Context is important. He even went on to explain what he meant, there's no need to try to interpret it differently.

Context is important. He even went on to explain what he meant, there's no need to try to interpret it differently.

Well I was crackin a joke to begin with,

And trust me. i've watched enough Oregon St video since the Riley hire to know that yeah, he tailors his offense from time to time based on his personell. Does a good job to get his guys in position to play to their strengths and be successful. He doesnt necessarily change from year to year, but I say 3 predominantly different overall offensive philosophies over the past 12 years at oregon St. Yeah, at least in any particular season, his offense did have that identity they leaned. It's not multiple. it's not the quagmeyer of mediocre crap we've had over the past few years.

And this leads to the qb position. Im not yet ready to write of Armstrong just because. If he proves himself to be the best qb again, you can bet your ass that Riley and his OC will be able to implement read option and qb run into the offense to suplement TA passing. Because that's his strengths. And not to mention, Stanton has some pretty legit running ability as well. So the percpetion of a pro style offense under Riley that we wont see no qb run game is kinda ridiculous. However, I do think we'll see a drastic shift in the overall direction of our qb's. I think the coaching will be impressive and develop these qbs to where they are pocket qb's first, and theyre running ability is a supplement, as opposed to it being the other way around like it's been the last 3-5 years.

Just an observation - last year when Tommy A rolled out to the left, his passes seemed to be always way of the mark. When he rolled right, his passes were much more accurate. Yet someone (Beck?) kept TA using a roll out pass to the left side late into the season (Iowa).

I just hope Riley puts our players into positions where their strength shows thru, not their weaknesses.

We'll see how that plays with the "identity" crowd.

Would you care to expound upon what exactly was wrong with our offense this season, then? The offense that only scored 16 points of offense against Michigan State and 17 points of offense against Minnesota? I'm genuinely curious to hear your take.