Riley's "Smorgasbord" Offense

Mavric

No, no, no. He said they've been a smorgasbord over the years changing the offense to fit personnel. Not a smorgasbord within one season.

yeah. I said that already. Thanks.

So because you said it then nobody else can? Well, la tee da. I guess everybody else should just stop posting and breathlessly await your take on all things Huskers. Sorry I spoke out of turn.

If you watch enough OSU games, the primary theme he has had over the years is a focus on getting the ball to the playmakers. When he had NFL running backs, they ran more, and the last couple years with a NFL QB and a 1st round WR, he threw the ball more, and would have been a fool not too.

People really do need to move past the run,run,run,run with an occasional play action pass, as being the only offense that we can run here. That was not always the offense that was run here,(Johnny Rogers anyone?) its just was was run during the era that most people still remember. The triple option is never coming back, nor should it. Outside the service academies and GT, no one runs that anymore. A 'pro style' can work here (it did in the past, and does in many other northern schools, like Mich) as long as the coach knows what he is doing and can develop a QB. Seriously, with good QB play, especially in the passing game, that puts this team at an advantage that most other B1G schools do not have.

No, no, no. He said they've been a smorgasbord over the years changing the offense to fit personnel. Not a smorgasbord within one season.

yeah. I said that already. Thanks.

So because you said it then nobody else can? Well, la tee da. I guess everybody else should just stop posting and breathlessly await your take on all things Huskers. Sorry I spoke out of turn.

bad day? Yeesh

Here's the deal with "Identity" and our recent problem with that word.

The problem is that Beck couldn't even explain his offense. I think the one thing I took from him explaining it was that he wanted the players to react. Often saying how they don't "run plays".

So because of that, our identity has consistently been one thing:

"Inconsistent"

Well, maybe two thing if you want to add:

"Mistake-prone"

I learned a lot watching Minnesota. Their scheme is FAR from being anything special. They actually "ran plays". And that to me is special. Why? Because those kids know the plays. They know their assignment, and they've run that play 1000 times.

Beck's offense was often times dependent on what the defense showed. And that is where I think the problems stem from. When you don't run plays 1000 times, how do you expect a team to execute?

The difference that made Minnesota's not-at-all special offense successful two years in a row against us was one thing. EXECUTION.

We heard that word a MILLION times, but that's the difference. Minnesota beat us because they have a coach that coaches execution by just plain making those players know their assignments on their plays. Nebraska kept making mistakes because Beck had a problem with "running plays".

Oklahoma became successful under Bob Stoops almost over night due to the Air Raid. Guess what they do. They just run plays. Mike Leach then took that to Texas Tech and took some less talented players and made Tech a force in the Big 12. Then he got fired, but took it to Wazzu. Guess what, the Air Raid works there too. At flippin' Wazzu.

Oregon got successful because Chip Kelly has that mentality of running a play 1000 times in practice so that your players know wtf they are doing. Because when the game comes down to the wire, your players better damn well know what they are doing.

We blew our chance at a come back victory vs MSU this year due to poor route running and timing by WR's. Tommy threw a pick. I guarantee those players never ran that play in practice. I don't know if I ever saw that same play previously or since.

Screw what we do. I don't care what you want to call it, as long as you coach those players to flippin' execute the way I saw some less-talented Minnesota team beat our Huskers twice.

The problem is that Beck couldn't even explain his offense. I think the one thing I took from him explaining it was that he wanted the players to react. Often saying how they don't "run plays".

"Inconsistent"

"Mistake-prone"

I learned a lot watching Minnesota. Their scheme is FAR from being anything special. They actually "ran plays". And that to me is special. Why? Because those kids know the plays. They know their assignment, and they've run that play 1000 times.

Beck's offense was often times dependent on what the defense showed. And that is where I think the problems stem from. When you don't run plays 1000 times, how do you expect a team to execute?

The difference that made Minnesota's not-at-all special offense successful two years in a row against us was one thing. EXECUTION.

We heard that word a MILLION times, but that's the difference. Minnesota beat us because they have a coach that coaches execution by just plain making those players know their assignments on their plays. Nebraska kept making mistakes because Beck had a problem with "running plays".

Oklahoma became successful under Bob Stoops almost over night due to the Air Raid. Guess what they do. They just run plays. Mike Leach then took that to Texas Tech and took some less talented players and made Tech a force in the Big 12. Then he got fired, but took it to Wazzu. Guess what, the Air Raid works there too. At flippin' Wazzu.

Oregon got successful because Chip Kelly has that mentality of running a play 1000 times in practice so that your players know wtf they are doing. Because when the game comes down to the wire, your players better damn well know what they are doing.

We blew our chance at a come back victory vs MSU this year due to poor route running and timing by WR's. Tommy threw a pick. I guarantee those players never ran that play in practice. I don't know if I ever saw that same play previously or since.

Screw what we do. I don't care what you want to call it, as long as you coach those players to flippin' execute the way I saw some less-talented Minnesota team beat our Huskers twice.

The cliffsnotes version? They pick a few things they like, and get really REALLY good at 'em.

Nice analysis. It's spot on.

"Inconsistent"

"Mistake-prone"

The cliffsnotes version? They pick a few things they like, and get really REALLY good at 'em.

Nice analysis. It's spot on.

Beck was truly lost in his thinking, will be interesting to see where he lands and if he can change his ways....

If coaching doesn't work out he could be a politician. He's very good at saying a bunch of popular sounding things without actually saying anything. We'll see his offense on the field next year......then we'll know what it is.

I dunno. I sort of like Riley's style. It's a vast improvement over the last guy. Pelini seemed to treat the media and fans like we were the enemy. Well, that's what it seemed like the first couple of years under Pelini anyway. He got a little better towards the end.

Beck was truly lost in his thinking, will be interesting to see where he lands and if he can change his ways....

We said that about Watson too - I'd say there was an outside influence that was counter-productive to their vision.

maybe in Watson's case...........for Beck? there were times when i would have requested a drug test for the guy.......wow

Beck could very well be a type of guy that would make a much better head coach than a coordinator. As a playcaller, he always seemed to be looking at a big picture. It always felt he was planning to far ahead, and got caught up in his own genius. He's got skills in play design. We've seen it. But over and over and over a big picture plan would get himself in trouble on saturday, in the moment.

• Fire 1