Which former program comes back to power first?

Drive1010

I can't even bring myself to read the thread in question.

I don't really get us being "gone forever" we may not be winning championships but we're not SMU either. That could always change and we could get really bad really fast if things don't work out with the new coach, but I wouldn't say we're "gone" yet.

As far as Miami, they could rebound, but they seem to lack fan support (from what I've seen). It's hard to turn a program when your stadium looks like a Marlins game.

Tennessee will get their turn at the top of the SEC Ferris wheel soon.

I have to agree with some of the points, but with Nebraska having winning records and in a much weaker division I would go with the Huskers, but Tennessee is drinking the Kool-aid with Butch right now and that momentum is huge. They have played a lot of talented Freshmen this year and have a top 10 class building again this year. Although I think Tennessee is a great program, I don't think I would use the word power house.. as Spurrier said," you can't spell Citrus with out the UT"

You are right.

They have a nice history and great stadium...but UT has never really been considered a king of CFB. Miami is new money but that new money was so dominant and flashy they immediately jumped into the top tier. I hate Miami but the talent in Florida and what they did...it's shocking they aren't always great...sort of like when USC sucked in the 90's...with all that talent in Cali.

It shows it all comes down to coaches and not your state and not your name. Nebraska can win Big10 titles and come back with the right coach and momentum and frenzy and coolness just like USC coming back with Pete Carroll. USC was dead and then caught fire. Name brands just need a spark...and Nebraska has that name brand...to be the cool place to go to again.

Here are the Kings as Stewart Mandel pointed out a few years ago:

USC, Alabama, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Texas.

All those above programs should always be great...(LSU is included just because of the talent in Louisiana - (Cali, Florida and Texas have the most) but per capita Louisiana has the most players in the NFL...there is no reason LSU should ever suck...they should have a better history but Saban woke up that state. But LSU isn't a true King in terms of history. They are a Baron.

USC, Alabama, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Nebraska and Oklahoma are the Kings.

No UT.

simply put, we are one of the bunch with a long way to go.....recruiting is key.

I think you are missing the point of that thread on the Misery Board.

The point is that they still harbor obsessive hate and envy for Nebraska. I would be more insulted if the Tigers STOPPED talking about us.

Its an LSU board. Not Missouri

crap.

Tiger Board, Tiger Droppings, ...

I get confused sometimes.

:dunno

The SEC should just change its name to "Tigers."

I think you are missing the point of that thread on the Misery Board.

The point is that they still harbor obsessive hate and envy for Nebraska. I would be more insulted if the Tigers STOPPED talking about us.

Its an LSU board. Not Missouri

They do not call Louisiana the "dirty boot" for nothing...

Tennessee is a long ways off, too much power surrounding their conference brethren.

Miami can only be good if everything falls into place at the same time.

Texas will be back in a year or two, everything except consistency is in place.

Nebraska has been more confusing than all of them combined. Give us a solid 2015 season and we could be back by 2016.

Does anyone else wonder how Miami is considered a traditional power when 90% of their history and existance was spent as pretty much irrelevant garbage?

Maybe because they have 5 National Championships...

well obviously.

but my question still stands. Do 5 titles in a span of 14 years, in two different eras, and having been completely irrelevant for the last decade completely erase their almost entire history as a non power? I mean, you look at programs like Oklahoma, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St, Bama, USC, Texas. Those are traditional powers. Theyre almost always good going back through history. I guess that's my point. Miami just doesnt belong in that category. Theyre so come and go.

Nebraska has the easiest road back to being elite because there is just one team to beat in the big 10 west. Miami doesn't have the fan base and has to compete against a.lot of instate in recruiting and FSU on the field. Tennessee is recruiting well and seems to have a pulse now but I'm not sure who slips for them to move up Alabama isn't going anywhere, LSU is young and should be great next year, Ole Miss and Arkansas are on the rise and ahead of them, just not sure where they fit in especially if Florida gets rolling again.

Does anyone else wonder how Miami is considered a traditional power when 90% of their history and existance was spent as pretty much irrelevant garbage?

well obviously.

but my question still stands. Do 5 titles in a span of 14 years, in two different eras, and having been completely irrelevant for the last decade completely erase their almost entire history as a non power? I mean, you look at programs like Oklahoma, Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio St, Bama, USC, Texas. Those are traditional powers. Theyre almost always good going back through history. I guess that's my point. Miami just doesnt belong in that category. Theyre so come and go.

you could probably throw out texas and usc based on that too though.

well obviously.

Probably. But, they were also almost always good LONG before this recent stretch too. That's just a result of the "what have you done for me lately" mindset I guess.

well obviously.

Huh? You don't know your history.

USC has an argument about being the GOAT program of all-time behind Oklahoma (which should be #1)

USC and ND - most Heismans, most NFL players (all time and currently USC still has the most players in the NFL), most CFB and NFL HOFers, most All-Americans, 11 National Championships each...etc, etc.

I think with this last decade USC has surpassed Notre Dame and is #2 all-time behind Oklahoma.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

ESPN's Prestige Rankings are a numerical method of ranking the best FBS college football programs since the 1936 season. Point values were assigned for certain successes (win a national title, earn 25 points) and failures (get your program banned from the postseason, lose two points). The research department ran all the numbers through the computer to come up with the No. 1 program (and Nos. 2 to 119) of the past 73 seasons.

USC #2 - With 513 points in 11 seasons (almost 100 more than its nearest competitor), the Trojans have been the undisputed king of the BCS era. USC's special 2004 season accounted for 118 points, which is one point shy of '93 Florida State's Prestige Rankings season record. It has enjoyed the services of an astounding 17 consensus All-Americans in the last seven seasons. USC has finished in the top 3 in annual Prestige Points in each of those seven seasons. USC also is the top-scoring program in the 1970s and is tied with Notre Dame and Ohio State for the most all-time Heisman winners with seven.

Through the decades: Through 1958: 8th | 1968: 5th | 1978: 3rd | 1988: 3rd | 1998: 5th

Did you know? If you altered our points system such that it did not include any points for best conference records or conference title game bonuses, USC would edge Oklahoma for the top spot by 11 points.

Nebraska #5 - which is a good fair ranking...based on history and the struggles in the 80's of winning bowl games.

• Fire 1

I suspect we'll be back quicker. I think wt new coaching staff we will be more consistent, have better player development and better recruits. I expect us to be back in the CCG next year or 2016 at latest.

It would be very :koolaid2: drinking to predict that we could dethrone OSU at this point and really be on top: :restore2 . We had the talent to be in the CCG this year but not the coaching IMHO.