Anyone wanna bet Michigan IMPROVES and Nebraska

Husker Q

look, there is no denying we shopped at Wal Mart.......we never did shop at Macey's......we aimed low and this is what we got......maybe it will turn out to be a bargain, at least it doesn't say made in China! Michigan and Ohio State will get better coaches and better recruits.....get used to being number 3 and needing to get lucky to beat these guys........we just didn't spend the cash to be the best......we just didn't.

So Pelini won 9-10 games a year, so since Riley is a better coach that means he should win 11-12. Hoke went from 11-2 his first year at Michigan to 5-7 his last year. So Harbaugh should win at least 8-9 right? Or since Harbaugh is a "splash hire" that all the ladies in the knitting circle can talk about, then he should easily win 11 his first year.......

That's how this logic works, or am I missing something?

We don't talk about coaching transitions as in talent level, strengths and weaknesses of said talent, how that talent fits the new coaches schemes. Maybe a time period of learning a new system. Maybe a huge lack of depth on an offensive and defensive line. The loss of two record setting players at RB and WR. The lack of depth or experience developed by the previous staff. No........none of this matters.........

If coach A won 10 but coach B is a better coach than Coach A, then coach B should win a minimum of 11 in his first season.

Geez guys, if its that easy, what the hell am I working so hard for.

A "splash hire" can make a quick and significant difference on the recruiting trail immediately. There are some Husker fans who had to look up Mike Riley to see who he was. Urban Meyer obviously had no such issue when taking the Ohio State job. Neither does Harbaugh with Michigan.

Mike Riley has kept most of Bo's recruiting class intact, correct?

So what significant difference are you looking for? According to all reports he's hit recruiting pretty hard and done well so far. Even offered some elite talent the previous staff may not have even attempted to offer? If I'm wrong, correct me, I'm not huge on recruiting.

So that all said, we're you happy with this class when it was Bo's class? I have a feeling you were. Ive got a feeling that if Bo was still the coach, many of you would be raving about this staffs great effort in recruiting. I heard plenty of people bragging this class up prior to Bo being fired. So......is the class, which is mostly intact, suddenly not good enough now that Riley has been here for what......two or three weeks now?

Pelini had improved recruiting, yes. It was certainly a significant area of weakness. Riley is apparently known for talent development, especially at the quarterback position. We need it. Having Meyer and Harbaugh in the conference, though not in the division, has raised the stakes.

look, there is no denying we shopped at Wal Mart.......we never did shop at Macey's......we aimed low and this is what we got......maybe it will turn out to be a bargain, at least it doesn't say made in China! Michigan and Ohio State will get better coaches and better recruits.....get used to being number 3 and needing to get lucky to beat these guys........we just didn't spend the cash to be the best......we just didn't.

How much money did we throw at Devaney (sp) to get him to come to NE from WY?

So Pelini won 9-10 games a year, so since Riley is a better coach that means he should win 11-12. Hoke went from 11-2 his first year at Michigan to 5-7 his last year. So Harbaugh should win at least 8-9 right? Or since Harbaugh is a "splash hire" that all the ladies in the knitting circle can talk about, then he should easily win 11 his first year.......

That's how this logic works, or am I missing something?

We don't talk about coaching transitions as in talent level, strengths and weaknesses of said talent, how that talent fits the new coaches schemes. Maybe a time period of learning a new system. Maybe a huge lack of depth on an offensive and defensive line. The loss of two record setting players at RB and WR. The lack of depth or experience developed by the previous staff. No........none of this matters.........

If coach A won 10 but coach B is a better coach than Coach A, then coach B should win a minimum of 11 in his first season.

Geez guys, if its that easy, what the hell am I working so hard for.

A "splash hire" can make a quick and significant difference on the recruiting trail immediately. There are some Husker fans who had to look up Mike Riley to see who he was. Urban Meyer obviously had no such issue when taking the Ohio State job. Neither does Harbaugh with Michigan.

Mike Riley has kept most of Bo's recruiting class intact, correct?

So what significant difference are you looking for? According to all reports he's hit recruiting pretty hard and done well so far. Even offered some elite talent the previous staff may not have even attempted to offer? If I'm wrong, correct me, I'm not huge on recruiting.

So that all said, we're you happy with this class when it was Bo's class? I have a feeling you were. Ive got a feeling that if Bo was still the coach, many of you would be raving about this staffs great effort in recruiting. I heard plenty of people bragging this class up prior to Bo being fired. So......is the class, which is mostly intact, suddenly not good enough now that Riley has been here for what......two or three weeks now?

Pelini had improved recruiting, yes. It was certainly a significant area of weakness. Riley is apparently known for talent development, especially at the quarterback position. We need it. Having Meyer and Harbaugh in the conference, though not in the division, has raised the stakes.

So there are really no recruiting concerns with Riley, and Riley is also known as a great developer of talent.

Sounds like a fantastic combination.

Thanks.

I'm a 49ers fan, and also got a lot of local Harbaugh scoop when he was at Stanford.

Between my Saturday and Sunday football loyalties, it was funny how often the criticism of Harbaugh echoed the criticism of Tim Beck: why doesn't he use Frank Gore more? Why does he go away from what's working? Why does he decide to get cute with his playcalling? Four straight passes inside the 10 yard line with Gore and Kaepernick in your backfield and the Super Bowl on the line?

And yeah, a few echoes between Harbaugh and Bo. Harbaugh would either gaslight, stonewall or openly mock reporters. Hated that part of the job, though he could be charming when he decided to be. His team was winning, so there was a lot of love to bask in, but Harbaugh still managed to instill a little bunker mentality in the team. Kaepernick took his cue and began to act as if he didn't need to answer to anyone outside the team. It looks like Harbaugh's "us against them" was directed mostly at management, and that's how the most successful rookie coach in NFL history got fired. There were folks at Stanford who considered him an a-hole, too. His MO was to always have his players' backs, to deflect all criticism for both their on- and off-the-field behavior and to save his berating for administration underlings. Not surprisingly, the players loved this about him.

Big difference between Harbaugh and Bo is that Harbaugh is an outstanding football coach with an outstanding defensive coordinator.

If Harbaugh doesn't turn Michigan around almost immediately, it will be the first time in his career.

If Riley doesn't succeed at Nebraska, it will be the first time in his career.

This thought process is totally inaccurate. It is quite clear that Eichorst was high on Riley.

To use a shopping analogy. My girlfriend received a watch that was bought at the mall that cost $99. Within a year it broke and had to be replaced. The watch went out of style and now occupies space in her drawer. I got a cheap watch from Wal-Mart to wear to work. It cost me $7.99 and looks decent. 3 years later and it is still working well and I wear the thing almost every day.

Could I have bought a more expensive watch? sure Did I?No

the reason I didn't buy a more expensive watch is because I didn't need to. Why spend more money just to buy a "name" when what you need is much more affordable and makes more sense.

And I believe you are wrong, we spent the amount of cash we needed to in order to be the best. Give Riley a chance.

• Fire 3

Is this a serious question?

• Fire 2

Is this a serious question?

Talk about a Wal Mart hire. Was Devaney know as a Macey hire? Ya I guess it is a serious question. I am just saying give the guy a chance.

Last 3 hires -

Solich

18 year assistant an significant role in 3 national championships

Cally

One year removed from coaching in the Super Bowl

Bolini

Came to Lincoln late because he was busy coordinating a defense to a national championship.

"Splash hire" is like a unicorn or perfect woman. There is no such thing.

wrong, JH was a true splash hire!

USC, UCLA and Alabama all approached Riley about becoming their head coach. Although he flew under our radar, Mike Riley is one of the most respected coaches in football, with friends, advocates and potential staff throughout the NCAA and NFL.

For some reason, apparently desiring a late-life challenge, Riley said yes to Nebraska. The move surprised and impressed almost everyone inside the college football community.

If you're willing to open your mind and squint your eyes a little, it's entirely possible that Shawn Eichorst scored a coup.

• Fire 8

USC, UCLA and Alabama all approached Riley about becoming their head coach. Although he flew under our radar, Mike Riley is one of the most respected coaches in football, with friends, advocates and potential staff throughout the NCAA and NFL.

For some reason, apparently desiring a late-life challenge, Riley said yes to Nebraska. The move surprised and impressed almost everyone inside the college football community.

If you're willing to open your mind and squint your eyes a little, it's entirely possible that Shawn Eichorst scored a coup.

I have absolutely no idea why some husker fans can't see that.

• Fire 1

I have absolutely no idea why some husker fans can't see that.

This. I am so sick of all of these negative posts towards a guy who hasn't coached a game here...

I gotta tell you, I was sick of the anti-Husker stuff when Bo was the coach. I thought it would end when he was let go. I was wrong. This place is really going down hill fast. I either have to get really committed to the ignore function or look for a new site.

• Fire 2