Anyone wanna bet Michigan IMPROVES and Nebraska

Husker Q

Wow, you know as well as I do that the best candiate on the board was Harbaugh, whether he came here or not. I would want our AD to at least reach out to his agent and try and set up some kind of meeting. I get the feeling that some on this board are downplaying what Harbaugh is now, because he is on the other side. Everyone knows he was the superstar head coaching hire of the year.

I personally don't care if we didn't go after Harbaugh, but feel that Riley was not the first person contacted about this job. That is why there was not a hiring firm involved. Hiring firms have to many leaks about who is being approached for the job. Eichorst did all of this himself to avoid any slash back of fans knowing who and how many were approached, and how many said no. This is my opinion, no facts, no common knowledge, just I would think that if our resources are what we think they are, we at least made attempts to get the strongest person who might be available. Thats all I am saying. Should have not made the comment about "guaranteed" , but feel strongly that Riley was not the only coach we went after. He is the one who said yes.

Does anyone else feel like Harbaugh's hype, at least as a college coach, may be out of proportion to his actual record? I think he's a good coach. But he's got some weird personality quirks, has trouble playing well with others, and gets bored with his current job easily.

So I'm not as sure he's a slam dunk hire as some here seem to be.

Does anyone else feel like Harbaugh's hype, at least as a college coach, may be out of proportion to his actual record? I think he's a good coach. But he's got some weird personality quirks, has trouble playing well with others, and gets bored with his current job easily.

So I'm not sure he's a slam dunk hire as some here seem to be.

I think a little bit, sure...but Stanford was a freaking joke when he took over and in 4 years they were 12-1. But yeah, I think there is a ton of hype around him

So I'm not sure he's a slam dunk hire as some here seem to be.

I guess I'm not here to diminish Riley or Harbaugh. To me they are both good coaches. This thread started as a guy saying Michigan will improve and Nebraska won't. I disagree. I think both teams will improve. If I had to say who does it faster, I'd say Nebraska will.

I don't think we have to diminish one to somehow make the other appear better. Both have fairly strong resume's.

As far as personality goes, I'd take Riley's mindset over Harbaughs. This is not to say that I don't think Riley is as competitive as Harbaugh, he is just as competitive, I just think he has more control over his outward emotions. Harbaugh acts like a raving child on the sidelines sometimes and frankly, I'm pretty tired of that crap. I don't think Harbaugh gets bored though. I think he's highly motivated. I just wonder what his motivation is sometimes. If it is money, or just the challenge of building a competitive team. I can't say he is motivated by building a champion because he left San Francisco before he accomplished that. Maybe he just felt like that would never happen due to some circumstances there. At Michigan he will have more control over his situation. We'll have to see how it works out.

Personally I think Nebraska and Michigan got slam dunk hires. Again, we haven't played a single game yet, nor have they, but I really like these coaches so far at Nebraska and I believe we have a bright future with them.

harbaugh hire will get michigan back into the elite status within a few years imo. They have talent...they have lacked coaching and scheme. Michigan will again become a smash mouth pro style offense under him I think. Everywhere Harbaugh has been he has had success in turning programs around. I think college works better for him and his style (after 3-4 years the players move on and new recruits come in)...can likely only take getting berated and beat down so much....but always having new players coming into the system will help that. No doubt in mind Michigan will be challenging for B1G championships sooner rather than later (2-3 years).

As for our Huskers, I think the new hires will prove to be good....biggest thing is recruiting elite talent (aka D lineman) and then molding them...you can only coach up a 260lb D lineman with average speed so much...need a few more of Collins like players...ideally 6 of them or so. I think Huskers go as far as their offense and defensive lines take them...great lines allow you to do a lot of different things on both sides of the ball

harbaugh hire will get michigan back into the elite status within a few years imo. They have talent...they have lacked coaching and scheme. Michigan will again become a smash mouth pro style offense under him I think. Everywhere Harbaugh has been he has had success in turning programs around. I think college works better for him and his style (after 3-4 years the players move on and new recruits come in)...can likely only take getting berated and beat down so much....but always having new players coming into the system will help that. No doubt in mind Michigan will be challenging for B1G championships sooner rather than later (2-3 years).

As for our Huskers, I think the new hires will prove to be good....biggest thing is recruiting elite talent (aka D lineman) and then molding them...you can only coach up a 260lb D lineman with average speed so much...need a few more of Collins like players...ideally 6 of them or so. I think Huskers go as far as their offense and defensive lines take them...great lines allow you to do a lot of different things on both sides of the ball

Collins should see a huge benefit in getting some real coaching.........he only showed a few flashes this season.

Vince Marrow was offered by Michigan for either the TE or RB coaching position.

@JW_Mason: This is going to suck for #Huskers & B1G. RT @Mark__Snyder: Report: U-M offers position to Kentucky's Vince Marrow http://t.co/oTWtj7ShyY

Could you explain that to me? How is this going to suck for Huskers & B1G?

VM is a strong recruiter. Already doing work in the B1G footprint at Kentucky, and now that he could return to the B1G, his impact may be felt that much more.

Vince Marrow was offered by Michigan for either the TE or RB coaching position.

@JW_Mason: This is going to suck for #Huskers & B1G. RT @Mark__Snyder: Report: U-M offers position to Kentucky's Vince Marrow http://t.co/oTWtj7ShyY

Could you explain that to me? How is this going to suck for Huskers & B1G?

VM is a strong recruiter. Already doing work in the B1G footprint at Kentucky, and now that he could return to the B1G, his impact may be felt that much more.

I see. Thanks.