Offense Huskers SHOULD Run?

How about a simple out route or curl route to the TE?

More timing routes. Tommy seems to make those throws really well.

Designed plays where the WR's run specific routes, not this you make a read, I make a read, we all make different reads garbage.

Move the pocket. Roll Tommy out. He seems more comfortable on the move. It displays his natural abilities as a playmaker.

Hat on a hat blocking. Get to the next level. Commit more blockers to the point of attack.

Faster developing run plays. Get under center.

North and South run game. If the coaches feel like the players are more suited to the zone read option, then can they please make sure the QB is actually making a read and has an option?

Run an offense where the offensive line actually blocks somebody. There shouldn't be guys standing around doing nothing. It appeared to be a key theme of the former offense. Maybe it was a way the coaches would give different players breaks during the game but it seemed like each guy just took their turn doing nothing.

Block somebody.

Play action passing. Not the, hey every play action pass we run has to e a 50 yard hoe run ball type of play action. Just the normal, fast developing, quick throws that everyone else seems to be able to do.

North and south run game.

Block somebody o-line.

Also, I'd like to see the offensive line block somebody.

Utilize matchups! It seemed like a philosophy lost on the last guy. If the QB sees one on one coverage on Pierson El, then get Pierson El the ball. If a linebacker is in man coverage on the running back, then check into a dump off pass to the RB or send your RB on a crossing route across the middle of the field. You know....the same way everyone else burned our defense.

• Fire 2

Nebraska certainly isn't going to out-talent a lot of teams, especially many in the Top 25. That's why I've never been crazy about going to a heavy passing attack. I think they just to develop an identity and recruit to it.

A lot of that falls on coaching I think. Player development and forming an identity seemed to always be lacking under the previous staff. I do think, however, Nebraska always needs to be a place that relies on recruiting/developing a powerful OL and running backs. I think that always needs to be a priority, because it's what we're good at doing and recruiting to. I don't think it's a coincidence that Nebraska hasn't had a conference title and hasn't had much better than an above average offensive line in the last 15 years. Success at Nebraska has always pretty much relied on having great line play and I don't think that will ever change, or can ever change.

I think Riley is going to transition to what he wants to do while relying on what our current players are good at, too. If TA is the starter, he probably won't turn into gunslinger and I'm sure MR realizes that.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Nebraska hasn't had a conference title and hasn't had much better than an above average offensive line in the last 15 years. Success at Nebraska has always pretty much relied on having great line play and I don't think that will ever change, or can ever change.

You're not wrong, but this is literally the case for everyone.

The teams with the best offensive lines are the ones winning Championships. Period. Has been and always will be.

When people say, "it all starts in the trenches", they're not just talking to talk. It's a fact.

• Fire 1

I don't think it's a coincidence that Nebraska hasn't had a conference title and hasn't had much better than an above average offensive line in the last 15 years. Success at Nebraska has always pretty much relied on having great line play and I don't think that will ever change, or can ever change.

The teams with the best offensive lines are the ones winning Championships. Period. Has been and always will be.

When people say, "it all starts in the trenches", they're not just talking to talk. It's a fact.

I think there are several teams over the last 15-to-20 years who won conference titles and championships without great line play. I think you're right in that what I said is kind of 'well, duh', but, I also feel there are a lot of teams out there with much better skill position players than what Nebraska will likely ever have.

So, what I'm saying is that I don't think Nebraska has or will ever have enough great enough skill position players across the field to make up for an offensive line that isn't one of the best in the country, if that makes sense.

I think there are several teams over the last 15-to-20 years who won conference titles and championships without great line play. I think you're right in that what I said is kind of 'well, duh', but, I also feel there are a lot of teams out there with much better skill position players than what Nebraska will likely ever have.

So, what I'm saying is that I don't think Nebraska has or will ever have enough great enough skill position players across the field to make up for an offensive line that isn't one of the best in the country, if that makes sense.

I didn't say "well duh". I was agreeing with your point, just elaborating that great offensive line play is pretty much a foundation. It's a prerequisite. I was simply saying your right, and that goes for everybody.

You've peaked my interest now though. I love asking questions around here. My last question got such great response. What teams do you feel have won championships without top notch line play? Just curious.

I guess as far as your other point, I'm saying no team will have enough skill players to overcome horrible offensive line play. It's not just Nebraska. Eventually every team's weakness gets exposed. That's why wining a championship is so difficult.

You say Nebraska can't compete with the top dogs as far as skill players but I wonder about that. Kenny Bell, Jordan Westerkamp, D'Mornay Pierson El or Ameer Abdullah would probably be welcomed additions to any squad in the country.

Still, with subpar QB play and inconsistent offensive line play, you'd never be able to tell how talented those guys were. I think Nebraska has been doing really well at skill positions as of late. We've lacked consistency at QB and offensive line. That's where you start to wonder if QB inefficiency and offensive line play are directly related. I say yes, they are.

Enhance has some great points. I didn't/ haven't followed OSU to know if the whole "develop talent" is true for Riley or the perception as his less talented teams have upset some highly ranked goes.

From past classes, it appears to can recruit some highly rated RB's, some DL and secondary. Other positions, not as much. With this in mind, develop a system around what we can recruit, not what we want to recruit. IMO, that was Becks downfall. He continued to call and O he wanted vs what we had. Develop an identity and recruit for it. TO had a system and it showeD. Urban has a system (and talent) and it showed using a 3rd string qb to win the CCG, playoff and MNC. It also allows him to recruit specific guys as he looks for specifics instead of guys who are "jacks of all trades". If you look at the top teams today, they have a definitive system and recruit accordingly.

Other than Taylor or Ganz, unsure if we will find another QB who can pass well enough for that to be NU's calling card.

Scheme to what we have and scheme/design to what we can recruit.

Obviously, I would love a power game with pa. Go back to traps and counters. But if our OL continues to stink, no system, regardless of qb play will succeed......

One that uses the talent we have on hand. Not trying to pound a square peg in a round hole. One in which the oc calls plays the guys can execute. One that is clearly defined ie spread, zone read, power......not multiple....

I'm happy with pro style. Carolina, Dallas and Seattle have a pro style with power run. Carolina, because of Cam, has elements of the zone game......

I could care less what it's called. Just make it reliable and fundamentally sound ie lessen penalties, fumbles (especially center qb).

Umm yea. One of the teams going to the Super Bowl had 900 yards rushing this season.

We should run the one Urban Meyer likes, where he can start his 3rd string QB and still put up 40 a game. I'd like that one.

Bothers me that Urban Meyer is probably one of the top college coaches opted to hire Tim Beck as an offensive coordinator. Beck must have been better than we thought.