Did Bo concentrate too much on scheme?

Haspula

Gotta have guys play within the system, period.

When Bo had the horses, his defenses were absolutely SICK. There were games and whole stretches of seasons where his defenses just crushed opponents. His scheme was solid and earned him respect and a pretty penny.

Personally I believe that unless he had the right horses, his scheme could be exposed. Or, if a matchup on a certain player favored the opposition it was exposed. If a player busted a play, it was exposed.

In college ball, a missed assignment will happen quite often; or a player might not have a good matchup. So yeah, Bo's scheme was brilliant and Bo's scheme was suspect. When it was on, it was juice. When it was off--- he gets fired.

He needed the horses and at times he had em and it was fun. But in college you have too much turnover for his scheme.

• Fire 1

trust me, you would know if it was a personal attack.

Just tired of the Botick comments. That turd has reached the ocean by now, well at least Youngstown. His name should never be spoken here, Callahan should be in the Nebraska hall of fame compared to him. But we still have to have the 4 loss king posts day after day after day.

Then we better get better horses, because Wisconsin owned his ass, horse, buggy and tractor. And the defensive guru had no idea how to stop the play after how many butt kickings. Any time the team had a pulse he got his ass handed to him. Yea his scheme was great, how do I get to the next big job and get the hell out of Nebraska. And make millions doing it, screw the fans and laugh all the way to the bank, and they still love me. That was his scheme. Some after he is gone are still swallowing it. Poor Bo

His name should never be spoken here, Callahan should be in the Nebraska hall of fame compared to him.

You're bordering on the absurd.......and I'm not sure any poster on here mentions Pelini more than you. And by the way, it just came out that Osborne was an excellent reference for Pelini when Tressel called Osborne about him. I guess it's not that hard to reach Osborne by phone after all.

• Fire 2

trust me, you would know if it was a personal attack.Just tired of the Botick comments. That turd has reached the ocean by now, well at least Youngstown. His name should never be spoken here, Callahan should be in the Nebraska hall of fame compared to him. But we still have to have the 4 loss king posts day after day after day.Then we better get better horses, because Wisconsin owned his ass, horse, buggy and tractor. And the defensive guru had no idea how to stop the play after how many butt kickings. Any time the team had a pulse he got his ass handed to him. Yea his scheme was great, how do I get to the next big job and get the hell out of Nebraska. And make millions doing it, screw the fans and laugh all the way to the bank, and they still love me. That was his scheme. Some after he is gone are still swallowing it. Poor Bo

It was a discussion about him concentrating too much on the scheme. For some reason you took a personal offense.

You dont HAVE to come in these threads and spew hate everywhere. He got fired man. Now everytime you see someone mention him you feel obligated to call that poster a "Bo Nut-hugger". I'm glad we moved on to a new era and I dont think he is Satan, crazy how I can be both at the same time huh?

• Fire 1

When Bo had the horses, his defenses were absolutely SICK. There were games and whole stretches of seasons where his defenses just crushed opponents. His scheme was solid and earned him respect and a pretty penny.

Personally I believe that unless he had the right horses, his scheme could be exposed. Or, if a matchup on a certain player favored the opposition it was exposed. If a player busted a play, it was exposed.

In college ball, a missed assignment will happen quite often; or a player might not have a good matchup. So yeah, Bo's scheme was brilliant and Bo's scheme was suspect. When it was on, it was juice. When it was off--- he gets fired.

He needed the horses and at times he had em and it was fun. But in college you have too much turnover for his scheme.

I think it was just simply easier for Bo to coach defense in the Big 12. Think about this. He realy expertise is secondary play and coverage. And in the Big 12 you could focus your energy on that aspect 75% of the time and get away with it. Remember how stout are defense was in 2010 as well, but that it was also pretty susceptible to the run. But no one ran it. The game changed in 2011 drastically. I thought it was talent. Then i thought it was personell. Honestly, it was just uncomfortable for Bo. Even in 2003, it was the balanced offenses implementing legit qb run game that killed him. In 2011, we got blown up by Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Michigan but dominated Michigan St, Penn St, and Iowa. The Ohio St game changed on a dime when their qb run threat left and they had to go conventional. This trend remained for the next 3 years.

Yeah, when he had a Suh or an NFL secondary, it was awesome, but, we still have to look at the overall defensive philosophy and the types of offenses we had to defend. The scheme would still have been rather vulnerable in today's Big Ten. Obviously not as bad with the likes of a Suh or Dennard or Prince and so on and so on, but I doubt we woulda seen the types of defensive performances and consistency that we saw in the Big 12.

• Fire 1

Was it that the scheme was perfect or that the players were just good enough that they could cover the holes in the scheme? Pretty sure that Suh would have made any defense that much better no matter the scheme.

The '09 defense was sick. To be honest though do you think it would have been any different had they played straight man coverage & brought more pressure? Something more like what Michigan St plays. My guess is they would have been just as good.

His name should never be spoken here, Callahan should be in the Nebraska hall of fame compared to him.

You're bordering on the absurd.......and I'm not sure any poster on here mentions Pelini more than you. And by the way, it just came out that Osborne was an excellent reference for Pelini when Tressel called Osborne about him. I guess it's not that hard to reach Osborne by phone after all.

trust me, you would know if it was a personal attack.Just tired of the Botick comments. That turd has reached the ocean by now, well at least Youngstown. His name should never be spoken here, Callahan should be in the Nebraska hall of fame compared to him. But we still have to have the 4 loss king posts day after day after day.Then we better get better horses, because Wisconsin owned his ass, horse, buggy and tractor. And the defensive guru had no idea how to stop the play after how many butt kickings. Any time the team had a pulse he got his ass handed to him. Yea his scheme was great, how do I get to the next big job and get the hell out of Nebraska. And make millions doing it, screw the fans and laugh all the way to the bank, and they still love me. That was his scheme. Some after he is gone are still swallowing it. Poor Bo

It was a discussion about him concentrating too much on the scheme. For some reason you took a personal offense.

You dont HAVE to come in these threads and spew hate everywhere. He got fired man. Now everytime you see someone mention him you feel obligated to call that poster a "Bo Nut-hugger". I'm glad we moved on to a new era and I dont think he is Satan, crazy how I can be both at the same time huh?

This is a fun little game everyone is playing.

Start a thread about Bo.

Wait for someone who doesn't like Bo.

Play the "let it go, he's gone!" card. Even though you started the thread.

It's a nice troll, done by good trolls.

• Fire 1

The point is, I heard about how great he was from the days Callahan was failing, what a great catch he would be. I knew the things he did when he left the first time, absolutely nothing positive towards Nebraska, then for seven years how great he was, up until the last month he walked on water around here. Even though he had stated numerous times how much he hated being here, the fans, the administration, the pressure, and in some ways the traditions. Had allowed some of the worst defeats this program has ever seen. Far worse than his predecessor.

Yet every single day, we see posts about the guy, how things could have been. Some are like girlfriends dropped, if I had only been better, I might still have such and such. He is gone. WE have a new coach, discuss the positive, move forward. He brought us absolutely nothing in the long run of things. Unless you consider a lot of hate, discontent, and a huge public black eye.

Time to move on to our new coach. Bo is not coming back, EVER!

Embrace the new coach, the old one had way more than a fair chance. He blew it. Move on.

Stop the poor we miss Bo threads, talk about something interesting that moves the program forward out of this mess, quit rolling in it.

• Fire 2

Saunders, I made it clear from the fist day, I hated the hire. Never wanted him on the campus again. Steadfast in it until last year. I truly wanted him to succeed. We needed it. It did not happen. His departure, was similar to his first one, just not as wide sweeping at this point.

I am about the program, the university, never the coach. He is a small part. Now of course there are exceptions to that thinking.

Will I ever wish him luck, never. He certainly left here, not wishing Nebraska luck. I wish the kids that play at Youngstown state luck and the program. I think it is more in his wheelhouse. He is home, hard to hate home. My guess is he will do a good job there. He should have learned a lot about running a program here. For those around him, I hope he did.