Does the Pelini Era cast the Callahan Era in a different light?

knapplc

If you're gonna be a bad coach, better to have it be revealed quickly. Don't try and turn the fanbase on itself, or the players against the fans, media, administration, former players, and everyone else. Recruit your tail off.

Time heals all wounds, though. It did not take long for 2007 to become just a blip in the radar. And thanks to Coach Riley, the Bo Pelini era is already fast fading to dust.

Mickey, I feel the same way! I really liked Bo initially, but it was really hard to root for him by the end.

Thanks man.

This reminds me of something Peter said a long long time ago when he had a radio show here in town. At the time he was talking about Callahan but I find it fitting all these years later. He said "You can be a jerk and be a head coach, but as soon as things turn bad you will be gone in a hurry" or something to that effect.

By all accounts Nick Saban is the biggest jerk in College Football but you can't argue with his results.

If it wasnt for his piss poor attitude towards the administration and at times the fans, the apologist camp would be pretty strong for Bo and Co.

Im not going to pretend the end was what any of us hoped for but Im never going to look back and say "Ya know, in comparison Cally did a much better job than Bo".

With little experience, questionable staff, and lackluster recruiting Bo was able to compile a respectable record. With more experience, non yes men assistants, and superior recruiting Callahan provide seasons that sunk a once proud university.

Their respective attitudes are the last thing I think about.

• Fire 2

If you guys remember our old resident poster pillen, who walked on to the team in 2007 and stayed through Bo's first year, he said there wasn't much difference between the two.

We had a pretty good conversation a long time back where he expressed that he didn't get how people were so much more excited for Bo, because from his perspective as a player it wasn't really any different.

• Fire 1

I would say they are totally different and one doesn't affect how I feel about the other. With Callahan it was obvious by the end of his final season that it was time for him to go. With Bo, not quite as obvious just because of the win-loss record. I do think that if you switch the records but keep the personalities; Bo would have been gone quicker than Bill with Bill's record, and Bill would still be here with Bo's record. At least that's my opinion now, perhaps time has made me forget what Callahan's personality was like.

I never really minded Callahan that bad, he was kinda a douche but I'd take his douchey personality over Bo. If he had hired a competent defensive coordinator I think he would of lasted a few more years.

Boy whay a goal that would be, last a few more years while giving us the same or worse record we got with Bo!

Callahan didnt care about this place and it showed on the field. Bo did care but was at ends with the administration and in over his head in select areas and it showed on the field.

My ass Bo cared about this place. He saw it as a way station to future glory. Otherwise he might have gave an ounce of a sh#t about recruiting his first few years here. And he damn sure wouldn't have said what he said after OSU 2001 or acted like a desperate contestant on The Bachelor every time a job like Miami or Arkansas came up.

Bo should write Callahan a thank you note, one for handing him teams with more talent he could ever get here and the other for driving the bar so low there are still Bo supporters here.

Oh and Callahan was bad also.

• Fire 6

If it wasnt for his piss poor attitude towards the administration and at times the fans, the apologist camp would be pretty strong for Bo and Co.

Im not going to pretend the end was what any of us hoped for but Im never going to look back and say "Ya know, in comparison Cally did a much better job than Bo".

With little experience, questionable staff, and lackluster recruiting Bo was able to compile a respectable record. With more experience, non yes men assistants, and superior recruiting Callahan provide seasons that sunk a once proud university.

Their respective attitudes are the last thing I think about.

Go back and listen to and watch some of the public appearences of Callahan when he took the job. The HuskerNation tour. In my opinion, Callahan was much more happy-go-luck and embracing of some things than Bo was. Callahan was much more positive and media savy (the same things we're drooling over Riley for) than Bo every wouldve dreamed of being. Obviously, Bo was well-like as the shiny new toy with a hardass demeanor that we seemed to miss, but looking back, it wasnt pretty. Bo couldve done much MUCH better.

• Fire 1

just for perspective on the record argument, bo's 2014 team is mince meat against callahan's 2007 schedule. even if 2014 was preseason SOS 18th (lulz!).

Probably true; but at some point it does come down to wins and losses.

it really is an apples and oranges argument. they were both bad fits here, but callahan's stay was short and we got over it quickly.

but bo's tenure leaves a worse taste in my mouth. probably because of the hope and initial success, then it became a purgatory, then it ended badly; and if you look at the whole of it, there really are not too many bright spots ('08 clemson win, '09 mizzou game and ccg, '10 mizzou game, big comebacks in '11, '12, win at mich. '13), and quite a few low lights, and overall just many unimpressive seasons that could have been special.

Even as staunch a Pelini guy as I've been until the bitter end, you guys preaching about losing records are missing the point. And let's face it, had Bo been forced to coach a team in one of the top 2 conferences in the country in his last 4 years, it's quite possible, even probably, he'd a had 2, maybe even 3 losing seasons as well.

Let's not act like Bill faced that 2007 competition year in and year out. In 2004, we played one ranked team and still managed to go 5-6. We lost to Southen Miss at home.

I never really minded Callahan that bad, he was kinda a douche but I'd take his douchey personality over Bo. If he had hired a competent defensive coordinator I think he would of lasted a few more years.

Boy whay a goal that would be, last a few more years while giving us the same or worse record we got with Bo!

Callahan didnt care about this place and it showed on the field. Bo did care but was at ends with the administration and in over his head in select areas and it showed on the field.

My ass Bo cared about this place. He saw it as a way station to future glory. Otherwise he might have gave an ounce of a sh#t about recruiting his first few years here. And he damn sure wouldn't have said what he said after OSU 2001 or acted like a desperate contestant on The Bachelor every time a job like Miami or Arkansas came up.

Bo should write Callahan a thank you note, one for handing him teams with more talent he could ever get here and the other for driving the bar so low there are still Bo supporters here.

Oh and Callahan was bad also.

Just in argument, I think at first Bo did care. I think he got a short good taste of how neat it really is here in 2003. But as time wore on and he continued to come up short year after year, and pressure got to him, his true colors showed. He began to want out.

If you guys remember our old resident poster pillen, who walked on to the team in 2007 and stayed through Bo's first year, he said there wasn't much difference between the two.

We had a pretty good conversation a long time back where he expressed that he didn't get how people were so much more excited for Bo, because from his perspective as a player it wasn't really any different.

I think the excitement over Bo (myself included) was mostly due to it's who most wanted as the next man in 2003, after rallying the team to a bowl win after the turmoil, and improving the defense etc.

• Fire 1

The only vision I have is the fans walking out on a Callahan coached team at halftime in Lincoln no less. I don't think anything can be compared to that. While he didn't swear at the media, but he told them they didn't know anything about football and he was doing a great job week in and week out which was hilarious. Almost as good as "I point the thumb"

There was one strange similarity and that was both coaches hitched their wagons to one QB. Keller for Bill and Taylor for Bo. I would still like to know why Taylor played the Minnesota game in 2013 but we'll never know.

I dont think anybody would argue Bo could have been better in most areas. But I think some of his anger came from the fact he did want to be here and it was becoming clear that would soon end.

But I refuse to go back and watch that nonsense knowing the outcome. It would be like hating the end of LOST but going back and watching the pilot.