GT: Nebraska at Minnesota - 5PM - BTN

3XvPSRV.pngyTluqZt.pngj87Km2I.png

January 31, 2015

5pm CT - BTN

Williams Arena - Minneapolis, MN

Nebraska Cornhuskers 12-8, 4-4 (Last: 58-44 L vs Michigan)

vs

Minnesota Golden Gophers 13-9, 2-7 (Last: 63-58 L vs Penn State)

Big Ten Standings

Wisconsin 6-1, 18-2

Maryland 6-3, 18-4

Ohio State 6-3, 17-5

Michigan 6-3, 13-8

Indiana 5-3, 15-6

Michigan State 5-3, 14-7

Purdue 5-3, 13-8

Iowa 4-3, 13-7

Nebraska 4-4, 12-8

Illinois 3-5, 13-8

Penn State 2-6, 14-7

Minnesota 2-7, 13-9

Rutgers 2-7, 10-12

Northwestern 1-6, 10-10

Head Coaches

Nebraska Tim Miles (329-259, 46-39 at Nebraska)

Minnesota Richard Pitino (56-36, 38-22 at Minnesota)

Injury Report

Nebraska

No injuries to report

Minnesota

F - Gaston Diedhiou - Leg - Out indefinitely

Scouting Minnesota

Second-year Coach Richard Pitino and the Gophers enter Saturday’s game with a 12-9 record, including a 2-7 Big Ten mark. Pitino, who coached at Florida International for a season before taking the Minnesota job, guided the Golden Gophers to a 25-13 record and the NIT title in 2013-14. Minnesota, which returned four starters from last year, went 11-2 in non-conference action with the only losses coming at St. John’s in preseason NIT and against Louisville.

Minnesota dropped its first five Big Ten games, including four by five points or less, before going 2-2 in its last two conference games, earning home victories over Rutgers (89-80) and Illinois (79-71). On Wednesday, the Gophers erased a 13-point second-half deficit before falling 63-58 at Penn State.

Minnesota thrives on its defense, as the Gophers average a Big Ten-leading 10.6 steals per game and force more than 18 turnovers per game. Senior Andre Hollins averages 14.6 points per game and has a team-high 60 3-pointers. Hollins has been on a tear as of late, averaging 24.3 points per game over the Gophers’ last four contests He is one of three Gophers in double figures, as Carlos Morris averages 12.5 points per game while Maurice Walker is at 11.9 points and a team-high 6.6 rebounds per outing.

So after struggling against the zone last game, we get to see if this team had figured out how to advance the ball against full court pressure then if successful go against more zone. Double Whammy

You have to be able to shoot from outside to beat a zone consistently. We can hope for improvement, but I don't know if it's realistic to expect that this year....

They need this win as bad as anything. If we can't beat the 12th place team on the road. We don't belong in the tourney. The next 3 games are very winnable. They just got to go out and take care of business.

On the subject of bigTen road games. Last week from Saturday to Thursday. The road teams were just 2-11. The only wins coming from Michigan State at Rutgers and Wisconsin at Michigan. And Wisconsin needed OT. Ouch.

I'd like to see some of our guys work to get the ball to the hoop today, especially Terran. So many times, I feel like this team settles for jump shots when they could drive and get an easy bucket or else open up the passing lanes for shooters on the perimeter. One thing that also drives me crazy that I would like to see stop is relaxing at the top of the key until late in the shot clock. It almost always seems like our offensive set starts with around 15 seconds on the shot clock. With that being said, this is a must-win to get back on track along with the next couple games. Time to get some momentum going moving into the latter part of the schedule.