ESPN Recruiting Nation Class Rankings

Also count billity I feel your way off base. Have you ever been to Corvallis, Oregon? Please explain why you called it a poophole? It's an hour from the Ocean. It's got two mountain ranges in either direction. Have you ever been to an Oregon State football game? I'm sorry but the line the national media is singing is untrue and very offensive to Oregon State students and alumni. Coach Anderson will do damage in the Pac 12 at Oregon State because he will run the football with big lineman and play defense. Im so sick of the excuses of doing more with less. Really if Oregon State is such a dump and so disadvantaged for recruiting how did they role into Omaha a few years back and win the College World Series in baseball? I'll tell you how with coaching and great players recruited.

You can't possibly say that with any confidence.... The town of Corvallis may be wonderful, but the program is an outlier. It just is. Andersen better be the next Bill Snyder if that program has any hope of crawling out of the Pac-12 cellar. It's going to take a miracle to turn that thing around, and I should say another miracle, because Riley already performed one by making that program respectible most years.....

Oregon, and Nike have that progam under their thumb. That isn't likely to change.

I'm of the mind that there was a reason USC, and Alabama wanted Riley at one time... They must of known what he was up against in Corvallis.

Coincidentally convenient how TheSker starts of his record rabbling right after Riley's more successful time when he went 8-5, 9-4, 9-4,10-4, 5-6, 7-5, and 8-5.

No coincidence about it Count. I posted it because there's discussion about how Riley did "more with less" or however someone wants to term it.....and I don't see that to be true. His past 5 seasons are red flags. I fail to see how someone who "develops talent" has a 3-9 season, and 3 of 5 losing seasons.

Notice how the last 5 years also coincides with Oregon "coming online" so to speak. I bet if you analyze the recruiting and such of Oregon St prior to '09 and since '09, I bet you would see a pretty clear pattern.

As someone myself that used to all the time, and for someone as yourself that apparently still does, in in give Bo the benefit of the doubt in anything with excuse after excuse and reason upon reason for "failing", i"m really shocked that you of all folks is using a win-loss record at a shithole like Oregon St as an end-all be-all determining factor in a guy's ability. Dont forget, he was hired by an NFL team, and courted by Bama, USC, and UCLA at one time too. Obviously there are folks out there who also see his ability. Why didnt he leave then then? Well, hometown like Corvallis was at the time is a tough thing to leave. Not to mention until 2009, he was really REALLY close to gettin Oregon St "over the hump". They had played for a trip to the Rose Bowl on a few occasions in the last game of the year. But at some point, you wind up fighting a no-win type of battle. Things got burned out. Then Oregon started to explode. it became too much and at some point you get burned out fighing that constant unwinnable situation.

Honestly, I dont see how it's in any way difficult to understand all the circumstances around this.

A few points. First, my post has nothing to do with Pelini. Seriously, it doesn't. I'm fine with him being gone and after hearing the Pelini audio it's obvious he wanted to be gone. Fine. Done deal. And Oregon coming on strong is not a valid excuse for continued losing seasons. Harbaugh was in the same conference....for a much shorter period of time.....and did better than Riley. As for being hired by an NFL team....umm yeah.....those results were not exactly resume building material either. I do think the assistant coaching staff as a whole is a good upgrade. I'm just not a fan of the Riley hire and don't believe he has the type of resume at this point in his coaching career that should have caught Nebraska's eye.

So we're going to sink Riley because of how he did at the Chargers? I mean come on. He was hamstrung with Ryan Leaf for crying out loud. Are we not going to give him credit while he was there in drafting a pretty solid NFL QB like Drew Brees who has won a Super Bowl? How about drafting Tomlinson? If he were given more time with the guys he drafted, he would have had a much better record. While some like to $hit all over his accomplishments in the Canadian League, he did win it twice.

This is one of the reasons I find it a bit humorous when I hear Nebraska fans claim to be the most football educated fans in college football. Establishments like Alabama and USC don't exactly try to hire deadbeat coaches. I would have included UCLA in there, but they are the ones who hired PRick Nudeheisel.

There's already a thread about how Oregon State performed fourth best in the country given their recruiting rankings. One can look at this one of two ways: either Riley is a very good coach who was limited by the resources at Oregon State, or he's just a $hitty recruiter. Personally, I believe he's the first one. Oregon State had already cut his football budget. They weren't willing to put the money into their football program. This is more than likely the reason Riley finally had enough and was willing to make a change even though he'd been courted many times before.

• Fire 1

So we're going to sink Riley because of how he did at the Chargers? I mean come on. He was hamstrung with Ryan Leaf for crying out loud. Are we not going to give him credit while he was there in drafting a pretty solid NFL QB like Drew Brees who has won a Super Bowl? How about drafting Tomlinson? If he were given more time with the guys he drafted, he would have had a much better record. While some like to $hit all over his accomplishments in the Canadian League, he did win it twice.

This is one of the reasons I find it a bit humorous when I hear Nebraska fans claim to be the most football educated fans in college football. Establishments like Alabama and USC don't exactly try to hire deadbeat coaches. I would have included UCLA in there, but they are the ones who hired PRick Nudeheisel.

There's already a thread about how Oregon State performed fourth best in the country given their recruiting rankings. One can look at this one of two ways: either Riley is a very good coach who was limited by the resources at Oregon State, or he's just a $hitty recruiter. Personally, I believe he's the first one. Oregon State had already cut his football budget. They weren't willing to put the money into their football program. This is more than likely the reason Riley finally had enough and was willing to make a change even though he'd been courted many times before.

Don't discount the fact that Riley clearly feels that he has something to prove before he's done coaching. You know the guy is motivated by this challenge. Personally, I can't wait to see what kind of success Riley has at DONU.

• Fire 3

Also count billity I feel your way off base. Have you ever been to Corvallis, Oregon? Please explain why you called it a poophole? It's an hour from the Ocean. It's got two mountain ranges in either direction.

Lincoln, Nebraska has mountain ranges in either direction. It's less than a half-hour to Linoma Beach and only an hour's flight to the excitement of Chicago!

Also count billity I feel your way off base. Have you ever been to Corvallis, Oregon? Please explain why you called it a poophole? It's an hour from the Ocean. It's got two mountain ranges in either direction.

Lincoln, Nebraska has mountain ranges in either direction. It's less than a half-hour to Linoma Beach and only an hour's flight to the excitement of Chicago!

Dont forget about the zoo damnit. Everyone loves the zoo.

Riley hasn't even coached his first game for Nebraska and the negative nannies are out in force.

Let's just nip that in the bud. The negative nannies are not out "in force." It's a handful of skeptics, and they're not entirely wrong, given that nothing can be remotely proven yet.

After a bumpy initial 48 hours when nobody knew who in the hell Mike Riley was, I'd say the reaction to his hire has been extremely positive and getting better by the week.

I have no problem with the speculation that he could fail. it's a pretty legit possibility. What I'm a little confused by is how a lot of us (i say US, cuz it included me) just spent the better part of 7 years giving someone the benefit of the doubt and a laundry list of excuses, but some dont wanna do the same for Riley. He failed at a much tougher place to win than what Nebraska will ever be, but some are using that as cut-and-dried evidence that Nebraska is beyond doomed. Me? I'm just excited for a new face and a change and am hoping (and actually think it will) it ends up in an improvement of our program. Both in on the field performance and perception on a national scale.

• Fire 1

Riley hasn't even coached his first game for Nebraska and the negative nannies are out in force.

Let's just nip that in the bud. The negative nannies are not out "in force." It's a handful of skeptics, and they're not entirely wrong, given that nothing can be remotely proven yet.

After a bumpy initial 48 hours when nobody knew who in the hell Mike Riley was, I'd say the reaction to his hire has been extremely positive and getting better by the week.

If anybody didn't know "who in the hell Mike Riley was" then they're an idiot and hasn't paid attention to college football the past decade.

If anybody didn't know "who in the hell Mike Riley was" then they're an idiot and hasn't paid attention to college football the past decade.

So you're calling the majority of Husker fans idiots?

Can you walk me through every Pac 12 coach right now, off the top of your head?

Well good for you.

Was Riley on your candidates list? Cause according to every professional NCAA analyst, he wasn't on anyone's radar.

"Who the Hell is Mike Riley" was a trending topic, Ed.

Glad you're on top of things, chief, but you may want to walk back the idiot talk.

• Fire 3

And at least 3 "Popeyes Chicken" that I know of.

Don't discount the fact that Riley clearly feels that he has something to prove before he's done coaching. You know the guy is motivated by this challenge. Personally, I can't wait to see what kind of success Riley has at DONU.

I couldn't agree more. I think that he feels that he has something to prove before he hangs up the headset. He knows that he has more coaching years behind him than in front, and he sees Nebraska as a place where he could go out with a statement. That's probably the only way we pried him out of OSU. We're going to get this guy's absolute best effort. He's not going out without a fight. Buckle up.

I couldn't agree more. I think that he feels that he has something to prove before he hangs up the headset. He knows that he has more coaching years behind him than in front, and he sees Nebraska as a place where he could go out with a statement. That's probably the only way we pried him out of OSU. We're going to get this guy's absolute best effort. He's not going out without a fight. Buckle up.

Amen