McKewon: 5 Recruiting Thoughts post-Warren

zoogs

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/mckewon-five-thoughts-on-warren-leaving-for-unc-and-recruiting/article_a90e0072-b48b-11e4-a883-db56c36fca4d.html

Another good piece by Sam, and the focus is not really on Warren in this one (though he does cite his three-year deal as a trend for assistants that bears watching).

Ultimately, Sam advocates for a "front office" in football, which I think is a great idea. It has never made that much sense to me why we keep talking about hey, this guy maybe isn't the greatest coach, but you know, he can recruit. Why is that a tradeoff any college football team has to make? It's odd.

Here's my favorite part, though:

3. Based on conversations I've had with many sources including some of Riley's own coaches working for Riley is a "gold" experience. He rigorously selects on the front end so he can give freedom on the back end, and he's loyal on top of that.

I think we'll be more than fine :thumbs Heck, I HOPE we have a lot of staff attrition in the coming years -- not only is it good for those guys, it's a great reflection on Riley and might draw more coaching talent in. And guys from Riley's tree that branch out might be in a position to give us good recommendations in the future -- or perhaps, even to come back as a head coach.

Also, the front office idea could help stem the "I signed to play for coach A". I feel really bad for the kids when a coach that recruited them bails and goes else where. However, if they were able too, wouldn't the same kid do the same thing if another school came calling with more to offer?? Finally, how does Bama get the front office staff? Is it allowed, but they are the only ones utilizing it?

Also, the front office idea could help stem the "I signed to play for coach A". I feel really bad for the kids when a coach that recruited them bails and goes else where. However, if they were able too, wouldn't the same kid do the same thing if another school came calling with more to offer?? Finally, how does Bama get the front office staff? Is it allowed, but they are the only ones utilizing it?

It hasn't been limited yet which is why Bama is taking full advantage of it. We are to an extent but not on Bamas level at all

What boggles my mind is that Pelini had a larger support staff than Riley does AND he went out and hired a consultant firm for recruiting in his first few years. Crazy to think about what the finished product was on the field.

For me, I thought it was very impressive that Riley came in with limited time, saved the class, and added a few well placed cogs all in the first few weeks. Hope he can build on it for next year.

Other than the first 2 to 2.5 classes under Bo, I honestly don't think he recruited bad. Sure, he could have recruited one or two positions such as LB better. But, in general, the last 3-4 classes were pretty good.

What he lacked is program management and situational management during big games.

Because of this, we have talent on the team. We need someone who understands how to manage a program and coaches that know what to do in the heat of the moment.

I think we have that along with a group that has the chance to improve recruiting even more.

I think recruiting and roster management go hand in hand. One or two more three stars or two stars per year probably would never have been reflected in the class rankings. Or, one or two three stars the coaches preferred, but then missed out on and replaced later with some other three star (there are a lot of three-stars), probably makes no dent in the rankings either way.

So the rankings I don't think were that much of a problem, but what has been allowed to happen at DE and at LB...yikes.

Other than the first 2 to 2.5 classes under Bo, I honestly don't think he recruited bad. Sure, he could have recruited one or two positions such as LB better. But, in general, the last 3-4 classes were pretty good.

Isn't that kinda the definition of bad recruiting?

Recruits brought in by anticipated position (rivals)

DE

2011 - Carter

2012 - McMullen, Moss

2013 - Gregory, Mixon, Natter, Suttles

2014 - Keels, King, Newell, Wills

LB

2011 - Pirman, Santos

2012 - Afalava, Anderson, Brown, Rose

2013 - Bandaras, Love, Newby

2014 - Walton

Add that up, and we have 4.5 DEs (depending if you count Newell) still in school over the last 4 classes. And there are 4.5 LBs still in school (depending if you count Pirman) over the last 4 classes.

Is some of it bad luck? Probably. But bringing in 1 DE in 2011 (and a Juco to boot) and 1 LB last year (when you knew that Pirman, Afalava, and Brown weren't panning out) isn't a sound strategy.

Also, for every late year find (Abdullah), there is a Mixon or a Suttles or a Wills. These are kids that you were only on for a handful of weeks, so there is not as much relationship building going on where you may be able to foresee problems in the future.

• Fire 2

Thanks for breaking it down. I had been wondering how the LB situation got to this point, since it felt like yesterday where the LB corps was burgeoning with promising young talent.

The last eight DE recruits...Gregory was a star and Keels another JUCO, but how much did will we get out of the other six? That seems like the result of 2011 recruiting at the position, but then it's compounded. Because now the numbers are flush, less scholarships for the '15 class for the position, but a whole bunch of guys in the same years. Gotta have a few guys really step up out of this group (and Daishon).

The consultant firm thing, I had never heard that before.

Isn't that kinda the definition of bad recruiting?

Recruits brought in by anticipated position (rivals)

DE

2011 - Carter

2012 - McMullen, Moss

2013 - Gregory, Mixon, Natter, Suttles

2014 - Keels, King, Newell, Wills

LB

2011 - Pirman, Santos

2012 - Afalava, Anderson, Brown, Rose

2013 - Bandaras, Love, Newby

2014 - Walton

Add that up, and we have 4.5 DEs (depending if you count Newell) still in school over the last 4 classes. And there are 4.5 LBs still in school (depending if you count Pirman) over the last 4 classes.

Is some of it bad luck? Probably. But bringing in 1 DE in 2011 (and a Juco to boot) and 1 LB last year (when you knew that Pirman, Afalava, and Brown weren't panning out) isn't a sound strategy.

Also, for every late year find (Abdullah), there is a Mixon or a Suttles or a Wills. These are kids that you were only on for a handful of weeks, so there is not as much relationship building going on where you may be able to foresee problems in the future.

It's part of the definition but not the entire definition.

We have some really good talent in many parts of the team. Dbs, WRs, RBs...etc. I even think we have a lot of good talent on the OL that just needs coached and developed. we have some really good talent in Dlinemen.

So, of the players they recruited, many of them are really good football players. Yes, part of what they did was bad in the DE and LB departments.

My point is, it's not like we have brought in nothing but a bunch of 2 star players and that is all they were able to convince to come here. We need to fix these two positions and continue to upgrade where we can.

Thanks for breaking it down. I had been wondering how the LB situation got to this point, since it felt like yesterday where the LB corps was burgeoning with promising young talent.The last eight DE recruits...Gregory was a star and Keels another JUCO, but how much did will we get out of the other six? That seems like the result of 2011 recruiting at the position, but then it's compounded. Because now the numbers are flush, less scholarships for the '15 class for the position, but a whole bunch of guys in the same years. Gotta have a few guys really step up out of this group (and Daishon).The consultant firm thing, I had never heard that before.

I remember it from when it happened but really can't remember the specifics of why he hired the firm.

The problem I've long had with recruiting from both Bo and Clownahan was the fact that they insisted on giving large quantities of scholarships to the skill positions while at the same time almost completely ignoring other positions. Clownahan's bread and butter in coaching was the OL. However, we for the most part enjoyed a poor to very poor OL nearly every year he was here. The same can be said with regards to Bo and the OL, LB, and DL positions. At one time, didn't we have like eight RB's on scholly? There was a time when we had like six QB's on scholly.

I don't think it took a rocket scientist to see the upcoming problem when Bo recruited the three RB's of Green, Heard, and Abdullah in the same class. I would say we have quite a bit of talent on the team in terms of the skill positions. However, Riley and staff have their work cut out for them with regards to winning in the trenches.

Thanks for breaking it down. I had been wondering how the LB situation got to this point, since it felt like yesterday where the LB corps was burgeoning with promising young talent.The last eight DE recruits...Gregory was a star and Keels another JUCO, but how much did will we get out of the other six? That seems like the result of 2011 recruiting at the position, but then it's compounded. Because now the numbers are flush, less scholarships for the '15 class for the position, but a whole bunch of guys in the same years. Gotta have a few guys really step up out of this group (and Daishon).The consultant firm thing, I had never heard that before.

I remember it from when it happened but really can't remember the specifics of why he hired the firm.

Wasn't the consulting firm brought in to help teach them ask the recruits specific questions so they could better gauge their behavioral characteristics? Maybe I am thinking of something else...

The problem I've long had with recruiting from both Bo and Clownahan was the fact that they insisted on giving large quantities of scholarships to the skill positions while at the same time almost completely ignoring other positions. Clownahan's bread and butter in coaching was the OL. However, we for the most part enjoyed a poor to very poor OL nearly every year he was here. The same can be said with regards to Bo and the OL, LB, and DL positions. At one time, didn't we have like eight RB's on scholly? There was a time when we had like six QB's on scholly.

I don't think it took a rocket scientist to see the upcoming problem when Bo recruited the three RB's of Green, Heard, and Abdullah in the same class. I would say we have quite a bit of talent on the team in terms of the skill positions. However, Riley and staff have their work cut out for them with regards to winning in the trenches.

I think you're right on point about your OL and DL talent. I also think it's something that Riley is cognizant of, as well. He said in his last press conference that the line is the most important part of the field. Look at OSU and the Patriots - great line play on both sides and both at the top of their sports.

I think Cav and Hughes have some tough sledding ahead of them but there is talent in these positions. It will be really cool to see how the Red shirt talent from last year (gates & farmer) make an impact with a year of good coaching.