Riley Interviewed by Mandel, Feldman

Mavric

Listening to him talk about Armstrong and watching him get ready for the bowl game something dawned on me.

In the bowl game, Beck called more pass plays than he had all year by far. He no longer had a HC above him dictating what he wanted done.

HOWEVER, Armstrong also knew his HC is now more of a passing offense HC. I'm wondering if there were any discussions between Beck and Armstrong with Armstrong saying..."hey.....my new coach is going to want me to pass. Let's open it up and show him we can win with me doing that."

Listening to him talk about Armstrong and watching him get ready for the bowl game something dawned on me.

In the bowl game, Beck called more pass plays than he had all year by far. He no longer had a HC above him dictating what he wanted done.

HOWEVER, Armstrong also knew his HC is now more of a passing offense HC. I'm wondering if there were any discussions between Beck and Armstrong with Armstrong saying..."hey.....my new coach is going to want me to pass. Let's open it up and show him we can win with me doing that."

I would have my doubts that Beck would all of a sudden defer to TA on the game plan......

A good interview.

As is usually the case with just about every interview I've heard with him, I'm especially pleased with his flexibility. He seems to be coming in here and is willing to adjust to the personel he has. Saying things like we'd like to have lots of personell groupings but we may not be able to. Or in the passed we always went after passing QB but it may be beneficial to go after QBs who are mobile as well.

In short, he isn't coming saying, this is my system, we will run my system come hell or high water. Instead, we'll go with what works, and I have ideas on what to change if things aren't working. All of this before a single snap has occurred.

I'm not saying this Mike Reilly thing will work out for sure, but I like what I'm hearing.

i think it was more of what USC was giving us.........TA still needs coached up, stares down his receivers and throws into coverage......he needs work and Riley sees it....

i think it was more of what USC was giving us.........TA still needs coached up, stares down his receivers and throws into coverage......he needs work and Riley sees it....

Absolutely no question about that and nothing I said contradicts that at all.

I would have my doubts that Beck would all of a sudden defer to TA on the game plan......

Beck always wanted to open it up anyway.

Beck always wanted to open it up anyway.

Yeah, that's been the "after the fact" rumor .............but do we really know if that's accurate? Or is it just post fact posturing?

I confess I really don't know......

That was a solid interview. I loved what Coach Riley said about using Pierson-El this year on Fly Sweeps, Reverses, along with play-action passes downfield off of those plays. I'm already looking forward to the Spring Game.

Yeah, that caught my attention too. Can't wait to see how DPE is utilized in the offense this year. I think we'll be seeing more of him in special sets designed to get the ball in his hands. :thumbs:

I honestly don't think Bo's absence in the Bowl game had anything to do with the extra passing. As noted, USC allowed it and we took advantage.

Beck knew he was coaching his last game as OC so putting on a pageant for Riley seems unlikely.

Plus, Bo wasn't really that hands on of an Offnesive Coach. I mean he knew what typenof offense he wanted to run, he approved the plays but ultimately he had to put a lot of trust in to what Beck would call.

That was a solid interview. I loved what Coach Riley said about using Pierson-El this year on Fly Sweeps, Reverses, along with play-action passes downfield off of those plays. I'm already looking forward to the Spring Game.

Yeah, that caught my attention too. Can't wait to see how DPE is utilized in the offense this year. I think we'll be seeing more of him in special sets designed to get the ball in his hands. :thumbs:

He could really be the difference maker when you really get down to it. He has the ability to make the deep catches. He can fly on special teams. And if Riley wants to use him on sweeps he becomes as running threat as well.

Give the kid some passing snaps and he could knock Tommy down the lineup. I kid of course but I won't put it past him, that talented.