A random "what if?"

Redux

Okay, Callahan may never have been good. The rest is fact Saunders, one of my main reasons for hating the piece of crap from day one. And I bet a dollar to a donut it is going on as we speak.

Callahan was a failure with the Raiders, so yes, I'm sure he wouldn't have succeeded here. As for "our" reputation, that's your opinion. Bo may have been a dick, but most people nationally care about wins. I guarantee it's better than it was when we had losing seasons.

Had he left the team alone in 2003 and allowed Callahan to make his program without him talking to key defensive players on a regular basis, Callahan may have been the coach he could have been. We don't know. We do know that Bo gave us the worst reputation the program has ever had on a National basis. A laughing stock from coast to coast. A buffoon on National TV.

Posts like this are way more of a laughing stock than our program is or has been.

Thanks for your opinion. I value it greatly. Mine must be somewhat closer to correct. The university fired him, not for wins or losses, but the embarrassment he was. Not allowed to communicate with the team. If some of you knew the crap he did when left the first time, you would be very concerned about him this time. As knapplc says, the payoff may keep his mouth shut, but I doubt it. Bury your head in the sand, Bo is a great guy. I get that, so sorry to have him gone. IF only Bo were here. So amazed he was not snapped up by a major program to lead them. He displayed his leadership in an exemplary way.

• Fire 1

No more first and goal ending with a freaking punt.

That may be the single most dumbfounding thing of Bo's tenure.

If that's the VT game, I remember a really nice Zac Lee touchdown pass that got called back on a BS call (the same BS call that cost Dallas a TD against Green Bay this year), a couple BS delay of game penalties when the Blacksburg crowd got deafening. Certainly a bit of a meltdown, but that maligned offense actually did what it needed to do to win that day. And so did the defense, except for two total meltdown plays of their own to finish the game. Somewhere in there Lee had another perfect TD pass called back.

In hindsight, that 2009 team was mentally tougher than the Bo teams that followed. Say all you want about the :01 against Texas, but Nebraska was supposed to be out of its league in that game, but they played big when it mattered and had Texas on the ropes.

• Fire 1

The culture in the program was destroyed and will take years to overcome what he has done in his miserable 7 years.

Years to overcome?

We have a new coach. He's totally different. The staff, the players the recruits and the fans have already bought in.

The results will be displayed on the field, as always. They will be compared to Bo Pelini's results -- for better or worse -- as Bo was compared to the coaches before him. Just the way it happens at every football program.

It's okay to mention his name. He's not exactly Voldemort.

The culture recovered when Shawn Eichorst finally dropped the hammer. Many embraced the change within seconds. Some took a few days. Or weeks. But we're all feeling better about Nebraska football right now. Come join us.

• Fire 1

We don't know if the players have bought in. That will be put to the test -- especially the first time a Michigan State or Ohio State hangs 45 on us.

I think they will, eventually for sure, but currently they're still griping about the AD communicating with them via e-mail. That's what their leaders did.

but currently they're still griping about the AD communicating with them via e-mail. That's what their leaders did.

And some were griping about the fans via Twitter.

If we're talking about repairing the Nebraska culture, I'd rather have the players griping about the suits in the AD office than blaming the fans in the stands.

Eichorst blowback will help some players defend Pelini and support Riley at the same time. It's not a troubling sign.

To my eye, the players had already bought in at the Holiday Bowl.

I bought in the second he was fired. Anything or anyone would be an improvement. I have followed Mike Riley some, living in the Pac12 area and working for an SC alum.

As zoog says, we will see if things have changed, but we lost a lot of time and credibility with him on the side line. He was a far larger embarrassment for those out of the state than in state I think.

Some fans seemed to be happy with him after the Arizona game, others thought his sideline actions were over the top. No matter how good they thought he might have been doing, the sideline stuff always came up.

His contacting the players, trying to turn them against Nebraska the first time is one of the main reasons I dislike the guy. His lack of control in San Antonio, with coach Snyder all played parts for me.

I truly believe a lot more is going to come out, things that I did not even hear about. Time will tell, but Nebraska made a great hire as far as I am concerned, Kermit the frog would have been an improvement for me.

These kind of posts seem like the individual is hoping for Riley to fail. What purpose does this post serve other than to drag up crap.

He lost games maybe he should have won, he won some he should not have, and he got blown out far worse the Callahan.

Callahan left quietly never a negative word about the program or Nebraska. Bo has tried to stick in our back at every opportunity, the first time and this time. Snakes never change.

• Fire 1

No more first and goal ending with a freaking punt.

That may be the single most dumbfounding thing of Bo's tenure.

If that's the VT game, I remember a really nice Zac Lee touchdown pass that got called back on a BS call (the same BS call that cost Dallas a TD against Green Bay this year), a couple BS delay of game penalties when the Blacksburg crowd got deafening. Certainly a bit of a meltdown, but that maligned offense actually did what it needed to do to win that day. And so did the defense, except for two total meltdown plays of their own to finish the game. Somewhere in there Lee had another perfect TD pass called back.

No it didn't. The first one Menelik Holt didn't complete the catch out of bounds, which he should have, and it wasn't a touchdown. The second one our line held.

These kind of posts seem like the individual is hoping for Riley to fail. What purpose does this post serve other than to drag up crap.

Where exactly does my original post even mention Mike Riley? Where does it say I want him to fail? That couldnt be further from the truth. You jaded fans all think alike, simply mentioning Bo's name means you are a Bo lover not a Husker fan. Its quite literally time for you guys to move on, Im excited to see what Coach Riley brings to the table and I have no interest in YSU.

The purpose of this post, which has been mentioned multiple times is that it is currently the offseason. Not much to talk about. Its space filler. Its discussion. Nothing more. Quit reading into things. I bring these things up based on my fandom of Nebraska, not of Bo Pelini.