A random "what if?"

Redux

AFhusker, Matt doesn't actually say anything specific about responsibilities; just that he remembers it a lot. Count is right - Bo himself said that it wasn't Matt's coverage.

Anyways, a lot of pieces are at play. Ndamukong Suh led the country, as a defensive tackle, in pass deflections after that game, because he had 4 of them. Should have had another sack or another deflection on that 3rd and 10 but got caught daring Tyrod to make a move instead of going after him. Ironically, the exact opposite behavior led to Texas getting :01 back, with Suh having got to McCoy just in time for the ball to land out of bounds with time left.

Also, Zac tore a tendon in his elbow during the Va Tech game. Yet another single play that would have won the game for us, if he is able to throw a decent ball to Currenski Gillyen down the sidelines he's still running. Or if Menelik Holt doesn't drop the ball rolling out of bounds on his missed touchdown, or if we don't hold on McNeill's double move touchdown (remember how we punted on 4th and goal??).

He admitted that he blew the coverage. Of course Bo is going to say that it wasn't just on him, that is his job as a head coach is to not lose the player for blowing one of the easiest coverages you can have as a safety. If it was just a miscommunication and it wasn't his man, he would have said it.

As I said before I blame that loss more on Bo for not going for it on 4th and1. With how much our defense was dominating that game, punting and gaining 25 yards (60 vs 85 yards) isn't a big deal when all you have to do is gain one yard and then you are in the victory formation.

I'll agree with you there. And not even just that one other play. There were plenty more opportunities to win that game to where them final minutes shouldnt have even been relevant. Like the rest of the 2009 and down the stretch of 2010, JUST SCORE A COUPLE OF FRICKIN TOUCHDOWNS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!

No more first and goal ending with a freaking punt.

That may be the single most dumbfounding thing of Bo's tenure.

The direct snap to the 300 lb. DT on the fake punt was pretty baffling. I can't really remember this first and goal ending in a punt scenario.

That'd be an interesting thread. Most dumbass things of the Bo Pelini era.

• Fire 3

To be fair, it only happened once.

I nominate the decision to use a backup offensive lineman to run a fake punt against UCLA as a close second.

Edit: Never mind. TRUE beat me to it lol

• Fire 1

The direct snap to the 300 lb. DT on the fake punt was pretty baffling. I can't really remember this first and goal ending in a punt scenario.

That'd be an interesting thread. Most dumbass things of the Bo Pelini era.

I think we appeared to have scored touchdowns at least twice on that drive. And then we punted. This was the VT game we've been discussing here.

Crazy, right? I was referencing Shick & Nick, for those who missed it:

These "what if" scenarios from the Callahan/Pelini years just don't interest me. I remember details, players, etc. from the 70's, 80's, & 90's no problem. But, when you start throwing out Ganz, Lee, Callahan, etc., sorry.........I was tuned way out, a direct result of the terrible product on the field. I watched all the games but the emotional investment was sorely lacking. I'm guessing the Pelini years will also quickly fade from memory as there just was not very much that was special or memorable. When the antics and outbursts of the coach are the first things that come to mind, well there's a problem. Here's hoping that Riley can bring back some mojo for the program.

• Fire 1

These "what if" scenarios from the Callahan/Pelini years just don't interest me. I remember details, players, etc. from the 70's, 80's, & 90's no problem. But, when you start throwing out Ganz, Lee, Callahan, etc., sorry.........I was tuned way out, a direct result of the terrible product on the field. I watched all the games but the emotional investment was sorely lacking. I'm guessing the Pelini years will also quickly fade from memory as there just was not very much that was special or memorable. When the antics and outbursts of the coach are the first things that come to mind, well there's a problem. Here's hoping that Riley can bring back some mojo for the program.

If you choose to focus on the bad thats your choice. But there were plenty memorable events that took place over the last 7 years, events that ascend past Bo himself. The battle is over, he is gone.

• Fire 2

If you choose to focus on the bad thats your choice. But there were plenty memorable events that took place over the last 7 years, events that ascend past Bo himself. The battle is over, he is gone.

I'm not focused on the bad or choosing to ignore the few good things that may have happened. But yeah, I sort of glaze over when somebody wants to go back 7 years, to a quite unmemorable year, and throws out a what if scenario that really was not going change the trajectory at all. Bo was still going to be Bo. One injury scenario or one game scenario change sure as hell was not going to change him into some kind of good coach and it wasn't going to have any meaningful impact on a team that had way more problems than 1 or 2 small scenario changes might fix. It's like some people still can't recognize how severe of a problem Pelini or Callahan were as HC's here. It's sad that anyone could think one injury in our favor or good bounce of the ball would've changed anything. It wouldn't and didn't. As far as what I'm focused on, that would be hoping and praying that Reilly can and will do a much better job than his predecessors. I am very confident he will. That seems a lot more productive than trying to construct a scenario where Bo could succeed when the essence of the problem was Bo himself.

• Fire 1

I think you are reading too much into the hypothetical. Its simple really. Had the 2009 season ended in a conference title and or better what kind of momentum would that have given us? Probably better recruiting which was desperately needed. We may not move to the Big Ten, huge difference considering Bo struggled here opposed to the Big 12. Simple hypothetical.

What drives me bonkers is how 6 months away from the season even beginning people get offended by hypothetical discussions. Its just a topic to discuss when theres not much to discuss.

I think you are reading too much into the hypothetical. Its simple really. Had the 2009 season ended in a conference title and or better what kind of momentum would that have given us? Probably better recruiting which was desperately needed. We may not move to the Big Ten, huge difference considering Bo struggled here opposed to the Big 12. Simple hypothetical.

What drives me bonkers is how 6 months away from the season even beginning people get offended by hypothetical discussions. Its just a topic to discuss when theres not much to discuss.

Sorry. You're right. I probably took it way too serious when it is just a filler topic while nothing is going on. I just really struggle to treat anything that happened from call to Bo as having the possibility of being special. Unfortunately that period of time is a rather large portion of our recent history and many younger posters don't have firsthand experience of truly glorious years. It makes me sad for them but maybe I should be sad for myself since I really can't appreciate the last 12 years.

• Fire 1

If's and butts.

If he had not lucked out on several games a couple of years ago, he would have been gone earlier. He got every opportunity. He sh#t the bed way more than cleaning it. The culture in the program was destroyed and will take years to overcome what he has done in his miserable 7 years. You can be happy with almost wins and wish he was still here. I see the worst losses in the modern history of Nebraska football, and normally good for one each year.

Had he left the team alone in 2003 and allowed Callahan to make his program without him talking to key defensive players on a regular basis, Callahan may have been the coach he could have been. We don't know. We do know that Bo gave us the worst reputation the program has ever had on a National basis. A laughing stock from coast to coast. A buffoon on National TV.

The turd has been flushed quit plunging it back up, please.

• Fire 1

Had he left the team alone in 2003 and allowed Callahan to make his program without him talking to key defensive players on a regular basis, Callahan may have been the coach he could have been. We don't know. We do know that Bo gave us the worst reputation the program has ever had on a National basis. A laughing stock from coast to coast.

Why+are+they+both+naked+the+entire+time+

• Fire 1