A random "what if?"

Redux

I think the way it comes off Redux is that you're searching for a way that Bo would've succeeded here. Many of us are just glad he's gone and aren't interested in the few eventualities that may have led to him still being here. You haven't said you want Riley to fail but it is sort of implied when a person constantly denies how bad Pelini was and seems to be trying to find that magic moment where maybe everything would've been different. Sorry, that may not be it at all but, it sure can seem like that.

• Fire 1

Another what if......What if Bo had not told everyone to eff off? he told the fans, his bosses, the media, and some opposing coaches to eff off while he was here. if i walk into the office and tell my boss, my co-workers, our suppliers, and our customers all to eff off i would bet i get fired also. would he have done a better job if he hadn't whizzed in the well every chance he had? every time he got pissed off (quite often) he managed to piss off a lot of people who had supported him. eventually he had too few supporters left and he had to go. Although...maybe with that golden parachute he had he was trying to get fired.

I think the way it comes off Redux is that you're searching for a way that Bo would've succeeded here. Many of us are just glad he's gone and aren't interested in the few eventualities that may have led to him still being here. You haven't said you want Riley to fail but it is sort of implied when a person constantly denies how bad Pelini was and seems to be trying to find that magic moment where maybe everything would've been different. Sorry, that may not be it at all but, it sure can seem like that.

I get that a lot of posters here are jaded to the point they dont want to think about anything thats transpired over the last 7 years. But personally I think thats unfair to all the players that have come through here. There have been some pretty memorable events that happened under Bo's leadership whether you like him or not.

Its pretty commonly accepted that anything with a "what if" tag is just a hypothetical and nothing more. Had I started out saying "If only Bo had done this and this he would still be our coach and that would make me giddy!" THEN I could see why this topic may upset folks.

All in all, its pretty silly to get upset over a topic simply reminiscing what could have been. We all want trophies and greatness. Looking back wishing things could have gone differently doesnt change the future.

I get that a lot of posters here are jaded to the point they dont want to think about anything thats transpired over the last 7 years. But personally I think thats unfair to all the players that have come through here. There have been some pretty memorable events that happened under Bo's leadership whether you like him or not.

Its pretty commonly accepted that anything with a "what if" tag is just a hypothetical and nothing more. Had I started out saying "If only Bo had done this and this he would still be our coach and that would make me giddy!" THEN I could see why this topic may upset folks.

All in all, its pretty silly to get upset over a topic simply reminiscing what could have been. We all want trophies and greatness. Looking back wishing things could have gone differently doesnt change the future.

I agree with that. It isn't fair to all the players that came through the program during the Callahan and Pelini eras. I get it. But, it's not necessarily my job to be fair. I'm just being honest about my feelings on the matter. It really sucks for guys like Rex, Ameer, LaVonte, etc., awesome players and great people that had the misfortune of being here under the wrong leadership. And btw, I'm not upset, at all. I'm just filling dead time by commenting like everyone else. Hoping my outlook changes some once we start getting news from spring ball and start seeing some of the results of the Riley hire. I am very excited and hopeful that the program has finally turned a corner in the right direction. It's been way too long floundering in limbo and mediocrity.

Exactly, this limbo we are stuck in sucks. Main reason I spend more time than I should dreaming up scenarios.

Thats the point though. What would have happened had we turned in a championship caliber 2009 and or 2010? Would Bo have been fired? Would he have been hired away?

My take is that had any of that occured and he had stayed, SE still cans him after back to back disappointing seasons. They never saw eye to eye and the short comings are obvious. I think he gets hired away though and we are looking at a 2nd or 3rd year coach in 2015.

I liked the discussion. It actually reminded me of how close we were to winning. Unfortunately that was not the case.

If Bo had won some, most, or all those games he'd most likely still be here. But we'd probably have a conference championship or two. It didn't work out, but if it had we would still have Bo.

Some people don't like that idea.

Me? I want championships. I like the discussion because it states that NEBRASKA wins. Not Bo.

I'll take Nebraska wins every time, regardless of who is involved with the team. If anything, I think looking back shows that we competed with some good teams. Also, that we have/had the talent to do so. That's something good to look forward to.

Go Mike Riley! GBR!

• Fire 1

You bring up the close games that he lost. You do not bring the skull draggings that we endured through his tenure. Some could have been even worse. Two years ago, if you play the same game of what ifs, we could have went 6-6. He was a good coach with Callahans players, He moved backwards every year as far as quality product on the field. It was always next year.

Look back at your posts, you have supported the guy from day one, and in the post it seems to me like you wish he was still here. Could be wrong, but I am tired of hearing about him. He is gone, we have a new coach. Much rather know more about him, his ideas, his plans, practice than discussing something removed. You think he is good guy. I know he isn't. He should never have been here. For many reasons, but money normally wins out in the end.

We really do not know if the kids have bought in. We won't know until the first tough game. Me against the world is hard to change. I think coach Riley can make the change, but some are expecting it too soon, expect too much too quickly.

All of us want what is best for Nebraska, Bo being gone is about as good as it gets for a lot of fans. We were sick of hearing about how great he was, how every school in the country was trying to steal him from Nebraska, how he hated the fans. So hearing about how he might have managed to hang on longer is not positive talk about the program.

And my guess if we had won those games, it would have been in spite of the coach.

Some maybe here through the spring, and decide to transfer. But them not transferring out says something to. Either they really like Coach Riley, or have come to the realization that things could have and should have been better here.

I am hoping for the positive, want to forget about the negatives, and bringing Bo up on a constant basis just makes it worse.

skersfan please understand this,

If you would have noticed that fairly early on last season my confidence in Bo's tenure fell pretty hard. Then it basically vanished. Soon I was among the crowd ready for a change. You likely didnt notice because instead of looking at the bigger picture it was easier to drop the "YOURE A BO LOVER" rant.

So basically to appease you we cant mention anything thats happened over the last 7 years? Its stricken from the records of acceptable discussion?

Jack Hoffmans family would probably think thats unfortunate.

Rex Burkhead, Roy Helu, Kenny Bell, Taylor Martinez etc. with new records would think thats unfortunate.

Nebraska is bigger than Pelini. Please accept that. By discussing things that happened under his reign isnt blasphemy. If you dont want to participate in the hypothetical game, dont enter the thread. No, instead you flood it with long posts that are redundant since nobody here DOESNT know you hate Bo.

• Fire 1

Sorry but I never saw your posts regarding your change in heart.

Its like when your married and keep brining up the old girlfriend. That always works out well.

No I do not like him, I did prior to his departure the first time. Wanted him as the head coach, but then saw the ugly side, the vicious side of him. The hate he had for Nebraska, the manipulation of players that he had relationships with while at Oklahoma. It was poison, cancerous. He went out of his way to hurt this program, as I am sure he is doing now.

Nebraska had some great games while he was here, all for the kids and the records they set. But if you truly believe he lead them to that okay. I think he was lost from the first day, never developed a staff, never had a direction for the program. The kids deserved better, Nebraska deserved better, and we as fans deserved better.

I listened to everyone's rants about how good he was, and it was endless until last year. Think about that for awhile. He wasn't the great guy, the guy on the white horse an white cowboy hat. He was man overwhelmed, unqualified and lost. With a terrible attitude about life in general. This fan base generally loved him, he did everything he could to piss in our cornflakes every day, and again on the day he left. Having respect for him, is something I can not do, nor can I hope or wish for anything that might have extended his stay.

We have a clean slate, A new coach who is far more interesting that the past one. Far more talented and truly appears to want to be here. That is important to me.

What the hell is going on in here?

Basically I started a topic filler to fill the gap until Spring practice. I committed a sin by mentioning he who shall not be named version 2.0. And in the end we got derailed by Bo hate, just like the old days. Ah memories.

• Fire 1

Dude, you started a thread on a hypothetical what if in regards to the Bo era, which obviously transpired into a Bo discussion. So why is the Bo-hate out of place? I think it's perfectly inline for you and skersfan to be going at it as you are.

Because instead of offering an opinion on the hypothetical he jumped in with the same tired "screw Bo" rant that went obsolete in December. Basically saying that to even mention his name is taboo.

• Fire 1