A look at Mike Riley's offense

papersun87

I'd like to see running quarterbacks utilized the way they were before people called them Dual Threats.

Give the ball to your running back on running plays. Drop back to pass on pass plays.

But if you look up and see 10+ yards of wide open space, you take it. Quickly and decisively. Hook slide if you need to, but you're not afraid to cut inside and take (or give) a hit, because you're tough as nails yourself.

Not a designed play, but not a scramble. The quarterback makes a defense pay for sagging coverage. Just do it a couple times in the first half and you've helped both the running and passing game, and the QB might not have to run much at all.

• Fire 1

I'd like to see running quarterbacks utilized the way they were before people called them Dual Threats.

Give the ball to your running back on running plays. Drop back to pass on pass plays.

But if you look up and see 10+ yards of wide open space, you take it. Quickly and decisively. Hook slide if you need to, but you're not afraid to cut inside and take (or give) a hit, because you're tough as nails yourself.

Not a designed play, but not a scramble. The quarterback makes a defense pay for sagging coverage. Just do it a couple times in the first half and you've helped both the running and passing game, and the QB might not have to run much at all.

100 % agree

A lot of times the past few years, even with Martinez IMO, that the QB just stayed in the pocket or backfield instead of hammering down. It was as if Bo and co had no faith in the backups and told them not to run. (IMO).

I would like Riley to give the green light to tuck and run if its open. I am hoping that Langsdorf can help with this. Kind of hard to see the open expanse of the field when our QB's have seemed ill equipped to even make reads. A QB who can keep the D honest with their feet can really open up the game for us.

This is the way God intended football to be played.

To me I guess that's just more common sense than anything. That's football.

Every other team in the freaking country has QB's who understand this. Gabbert, Hundley, Miller, Wilson, so on.....they've all burned us with these exact type of runs. Tommy is as capable or more capable runner than most of them except maybe Wilson.

I don't think we've had the offensive line at most times in recent history for a QB to even get that level of comfort.

Taylor and Tommy have been either running on designed runs like the zone read, or they've been running for their lives when the pocket collapses all around them. There has been few times where they've been able to scan the field, watch the holes open up in the defense, and then take off downfield if there's noting open. This requires quite a bit of protection. We've not truly had that consistently in a long time.

This didn't change in four years with Taylor, and it didn't change in two years with Tommy. I think our offensive line really hurt this offense a lot. It needs to get better or nothing else will matter. Period.

• Fire 1

100 % agree

+1

To me I guess that's just more common sense than anything. That's football.

Every other team in the freaking country has QB's who understand this. Gabbert, Hundley, Miller, Wilson, so on.....they've all burned us with these exact type of runs. Tommy is as capable or more capable runner than most of them except maybe Wilson.

I don't think we've had the offensive line at most times in recent history for a QB to even get that level of comfort.

Taylor and Tommy have been either running on designed runs like the zone read, or they've been running for their lives when the pocket collapses all around them. There has been few times where they've been able to scan the field, watch the holes open up in the defense, and then take off downfield if there's noting open. This requires quite a bit of protection. We've not truly had that consistently in a long time.

This didn't change in four years with Taylor, and it didn't change in two years with Tommy. I think our offensive line really hurt this offense a lot. It needs to get better or nothing else will matter. Period.

This^ So much this. Our OL has been pathetic against equal or better competition. I am ready for the pipe line to return. A good to great OL, can make an average QB look like a world beater........ AA was phenomenal, IMO, in spite of the OL play. He was incredible in accomplishing what he did. Kind of like Barry Sanders at Detroit......

A lot of times the past few years, even with Martinez IMO, that the QB just stayed in the pocket or backfield instead of hammering down. It was as if Bo and co had no faith in the backups and told them not to run. (IMO).

I would like Riley to give the green light to tuck and run if its open. I am hoping that Langsdorf can help with this. Kind of hard to see the open expanse of the field when our QB's have seemed ill equipped to even make reads. A QB who can keep the D honest with their feet can really open up the game for us.

They didn't tell Martinez not to run. He had 1,300 years in 2012.

But they did tell him not to get hurt, which made it even weirder.

That's when you saw Martinez hit wide open field and instead of turning on the burners he started anticipating the safest place to go down.

So, the option where the QB has the option to keep the ball and run with it is a horrible offense that we should never run because nobody would ever win a championship doing that.

Got it.

I think the issue is that the zone read option has gotten so popular that it's earned the full attention of every defensive coordinator in football, and they've gotten better at defending it.

A great weapon, still, but maybe not your bread and butter.

If you're referring to the Nebraska glory days of the 1990s, that was a perfect storm of talented skill players and a sh#t-canning offensive line. Even then, I think 20 years of stronger, faster defenses would make it hard for that vintage Nebraska offense to dominate as it once did.

Im referring to any school who has had a dual threat QB and ran designed option plays and won. There have been teams doing it for decades and they will continue doing it and be successful.

Now, it has to evolve just like any other offense. Oregon's offense isn't like our 90s offense and in 10-15 years there will be a new variety that is successful.

It's no different than anything else in that you have to have the players and be good at doing it.

So, the option where the QB has the option to keep the ball and run with it is a horrible offense that we should never run because nobody would ever win a championship doing that.

Got it.

I'm trying to find where anyone said that? am I missing something?
Comments like " a dual threat QB experiment has been a failure".

Or..."God intended football to be played...." Without designed QB runs or option plays.

There are lots of comments in this thread indicating that people just want the QB to pass the ball, hand it off or only run if the play breaks down and there are 10 yards of open space. Anything else is stupid and not going to work.

• Fire 1

Got it.

I'm trying to find where anyone said that? am I missing something?
Comments like " a dual threat QB experiment has been a failure".

Or..."God intended football to be played...." Without designed QB runs or option plays.

There are lots of comments in this thread indicating that people just want the QB to pass the ball, hand it off or only run if the play breaks down and there are 10 yards of open space. Anything else is stupid and not going to work.

Yeah, our offense has only produced four of the Top 10 all-time Husker rushers in the last four years. Definitely a failure.