A look at Mike Riley's offense

papersun87

I think the main point that is trying to be made is that a QB who is a passer first, who can move and run if needed is what is desired. What we have been trying to do for too long is drop a great athlete into the QB position and try to teach them to throw. That is a high school mentality. (Does make sense, our last OC was a former high school head coach) Being able to run is always a good thing to have, but a QB needs to be able to throw the ball accurately in this era of college football if you really want to win at a high level.

• Fire 2

i would hope we could get a true decent passing qb eventually, its not whether we run from a pro set or out of the gun or the spread........but most top teams have a kid who can first and foremost throw the ball for 60% or better and are good game managers........running qbs who are undependable passers and are not respected by the D's is what we have most recently put on the field.....say what you want, but that has to change......

I've always said that we HAVE to be able to pass. Keithen McCant anyone? Mickey Joseph? Jamal Lord? Even the vaunted Tommy Frazier was only adequate as a passer.

I read that we offered a 4* QB today. Pro-style, number 13 in the country. Harbaugh wants this kid too.

To me, I really don't care what is going on in the NFL. Ever since I started watching football, the college game has been completely different than the NFL. Success at one, does not mean success at the other. And, just because something doesn't work in the NFL doesn't mean it can't be extremely successful in the college game.

True. And that's great if success in the college game is all you ask in life.

But for the handful of college players being scouted for professional careers, it's pretty important that their skillset translates to the NFL. One of the reasons few college teams run the triple-option anymore is that it required different disciplines and reps of the QB, the RBs and the Offensive Line. Good for a season of college glory, but makes you a question mark coming into the NFL. Some highly touted recruits may avoid a college program that runs a college-only offense.

That is all I ask in life unless you end up on my fantasy football team. At that point, I really don't care even what college you went to.

I just hope there's less passing on 3rd and short...

As I recall, you lean towards zero percent passing on 3rd and short.

Depends on your definition of "short" but every successful football coach has multiple passing and running options for third and short, and running the ball does not enjoy a statistical advantage.

• Fire 1

Andrew Luck has the perfect blend of skills and athleticism. The play against the broncos in the playoffs was cold. Pocket collapses he ducks up inside splits to his right, extending the play threw on the run to a cross receiver. Perfect like Montana.

I saw a clip TA can throw on run. IMO, he should watch qbs who resemble his athleticism Elway, Newton, Vick, Brees , ect . That is a pronounced style and very effective look to defenses.

feet are important , but should not confine or define a quarterback . I'm sorry , things breakdown and get crowded. I want the jive back there whatever it takes is acceptable.

It's deception that makes a qb. The NFL runs heavy play action a skill and value the fits former qbs and values

I just hope there's less passing on 3rd and short...

As I recall, you lean towards zero percent passing on 3rd and short.

Depends on your definition of "short" but every successful football coach has multiple passing and running options for third and short, and running the ball does not enjoy a statistical advantage.

Yeah, it is not that easy to "just gain a yard." The ability to do so hinges on the defense not knowing exactly what you are going to do.

It's kind of a rock paper scissors thing. On 3rd & 1 the defense kinda has to gamble on something; if they never do, they always lose. So make them think, "Most of the time I have to play paper. But then what if the offense goes scissors?"

Fun facts from the Super Bowl and Pete Carroll's worst-call-in-the-history-of-sports:

During the regular season, Marshawn Lynch had five carries from the one yard line. He got one touchdown, two no gains, and two tackles for losses.

During the entire 2014 season and post-season, 66 touchdown passes were thrown from the one yard line. Only one pass from the one yard line was intercepted, and that was in the Super Bowl.

• Fire 4

Andrew Luck has the perfect blend of skills and athleticism. The play against the broncos in the playoffs was cold. Pocket collapses he ducks up inside splits to his right, extending the play threw on the run to a cross receiver. Perfect like Montana.

I saw a clip TA can throw on run. IMO, he should watch qbs who resemble his athleticism Elway, Newton, Vick, Brees , ect . That is a pronounced style and very effective look to defenses.

feet are important , but should not confine or define a quarterback . I'm sorry , things breakdown and get crowded. I want the jive back there whatever it takes is acceptable.

It's deception that makes a qb. The NFL runs heavy play action a skill and value the fits former qbs and values

feet are everything, they are the base from which you throw........nervous feet or throwing off the back foot will get you nowhere.

But weren't we supposed to have a monster O line coming back, so wouldn't we want to run the ball to move the chains to keep our "questionable" defense off of the field?

Just because you want a sustained drive rushing the ball doesn't mean the opposing defense is going to let you.

You can go three and out running the ball, too, especially if you announce your intention to do so.

When Armstrong burned Miami with a long ball early, Miami refused to commit to a run defense. So Nebraska ran wild that game.

Most coaches, yes, even Tim Beck, would love to run the ball and exhaust the defense, but good defenses adjust to that. And we don't have the Monster O that lets you exert your will, regardless.

• Fire 2

But weren't we supposed to have a monster O line coming back, so wouldn't we want to run the ball to move the chains to keep our "questionable" defense off of the field?

Just because you want a sustained drive rushing the ball doesn't mean the opposing defense is going to let you.

You can go three and out running the ball, too, especially if you announce your intention to do so.

When Armstrong burned Miami with a long ball early, Miami refused to commit to a run defense. So Nebraska ran wild that game.

Most coaches, yes, even Tim Beck, would love to run the ball and exhaust the defense, but good defenses adjust to that. And we don't have the Monster O that lets you exert your will, regardless.

At least if you go 3 and out rush the ball, your D will get a little more of a breather than going 3 and out with incompletions...

I thought the O line was going to be one of our strong points?

At least if you go 3 and out rush the ball, your D will get a little more of a breather than going 3 and out with incompletions...

I thought the O line was going to be one of our strong points?

3 plays are just 3 plays. The only difference between 3 pass plays and 3 run plays is that the latter takes more time off the game clock, the time translating into the amount of time off the field had the offense completed 3 passes yet still went 3 and out.

• Fire 1