A look at Mike Riley's offense

papersun87

with Rileys team cuz Riley got an NFL job ge did so well.

So Riley's best team is one he didn't coach. Comforting.
or he may have won the national title with that team. We can go back and forth on this petty bullsh#t all day. I dont care.

This is going down the road of hypotheticals instead of actuals. Could Blake have won the natty that Stoops won? Could Callahan have won 9 games in 2008? Who knows......but in each of those scenarios, including your Riley scenario, it didn't happen that way.

Because not even Urban Meyer or Bo Pelini are likely to win PAC championships at Oregon State.

^ that.

The thing is......I think the gist of this comment is it "likely" can't be done. Yet Dennis Erickson tied for 1st while head football coach at Oregon State. And I know Gary Anderson wanted out of Wisconsin and hasn't coached a game at Oregon State yet, but he jumped quickly at the Oregon State job. There's just a lot about Riley's results over a long time period that make me skeptical. That's what it boils down to for me.

Because not even Urban Meyer or Bo Pelini are likely to win PAC championships at Oregon State.

^ that.

The thing is......I think the gist of this comment is it "likely" can't be done. Yet Dennis Erickson tied for 1st while head football coach at Oregon State. And I know Gary Anderson wanted out of Wisconsin and hasn't coached a game at Oregon State yet, but he jumped quickly at the Oregon State job. There's just a lot about Riley's results over a long time period that make me skeptical. That's what it boils down to for me.

What are you trying to say? That because Gary Anderson left Wisconsin for Oregon St. that somehow means Oregon St. less of a challenge?

How do you feel about Riley's results at Nebraska? He has an 0-0 record. Not bad huh?

Doesn't matter really though I guess, you're going to see how it goes whether you want to or not. Can't see any good coming from complaining about a guy that hasn't even coached a game yet, but whatever. Be skeptical, that's fine, but you've gone beyond skeptical. You've gone out of your way to downplay him as a coach and dismiss any chance he has at success.

What are you trying to say? That because Gary Anderson left Wisconsin for Oregon St. that somehow means Oregon St. less of a challenge?

That's part of what I said. Add in that Dennis Erickson finished tied for 1st during his tenure there. And I did not say Oregon State wasn't a challenge. But Nebraska is a challenge also....in a different way. Since '99, we've had some turnover at both the head football coaching position and the AD spot.

or he may have won the national title with that team. We can go back and forth on this petty bullsh#t all day. I dont care.

I wouldn't say petty, considering the offensive woe's of this program over the past 5 or 6 years...

Now I get it. You're convinced the OFFENSE has been the problem at Nebraska the past 5 or 6 years...

"Do we really want this again?"

Yes. And how hard was our "power running" offense to defend against?

It's not about the scheme, it's about how good the coaches are, how well they recruit, and how good they are at teaching.

I think we'll see more of a power run game under Riley than we've seen since Solich.

I'm not talking about run/pass ratio. I mean the philosophy of keeping more blockers in and trying to run over the defense, as opposed to trying to spread out the defense.

As a result there will be more QB under center and a higher need for balanced tight ends (those who can catch and block).

There's nothing inherently wrong with either philosophy. Anything can work with enough talent, I'm just personally partial to traditional power football.

I have no problem with a more balanced run/pass ratio. Whatever moves the ball.

When it comes down to it, I think you're right about it being more about the talent, and how well it's coached.

I see us being something similar to what Stanford runs. They are as efficient as they come, and we can pull in much more talent at the skill positions to win 1 v 1 that sometimes they don't have the ability to. Also Wisconsin does a good job of beating you any way they need to. Paul Chryst greatly influenced by Riley and this is where I see us going

if we had half the quality players Stanford gets i would be thrilled........we ain't even close.

We have to begin somewhere with the new implementation process. I would be thrilled if we ran an offense similar to Stanford, Wisconsin, USC, Notre Dame. Those are pro set offenses that are flexible to run and pass in a more traditional base offense. These players are smart enough to adapt to what is being taught. The talent is good enough to compete. Maybe in a year we can recruit the next Andrew Luck. He knew to choose a balanced pro-style offense instead of a shotgun clap read-option shot-put thingy style offense. :)

It's not about the scheme, it's about how good the coaches are, how well they recruit, and how good they are at teaching.

I think we'll see more of a power run game under Riley than we've seen since Solich.

I'm not talking about run/pass ratio. I mean the philosophy of keeping more blockers in and trying to run over the defense, as opposed to trying to spread out the defense.

As a result there will be more QB under center and a higher need for balanced tight ends (those who can catch and block).

There's nothing inherently wrong with either philosophy. Anything can work with enough talent, I'm just personally partial to traditional power football.

When it comes down to it, I think you're right about it being more about the talent, and how well it's coached.

The offensive lines performance will control all of this. The O-line is a huge question mark. It's a group that had truly not been very good for quite some time.

I too am not over infatuated with run/pass ratio, its the way we ran the ball and how we utilized the passing game based off those runs. I love the thought of going back to those heavy formations and twin TE's, going back to a north and south run game with a lot more focus on the inside game.

The guards and center have got to step up the aggression though or we will be an all air attack. I can handle that too as long as its effective and we find the QB that won't be turning the ball over in an aerial attack. Riley has said he will create the offense around the talent we have. This offensive line will determine everything.

The offensive lines performance will control all of this. The O-line is a huge question mark. It's a group that had truly not been very good for quite some time.

I too am not over infatuated with run/pass ratio, its the way we ran the ball and how we utilized the passing game based off those runs. I love the thought of going back to those heavy formations and twin TE's, going back to a north and south run game with a lot more focus on the inside game.

The guards and center have got to step up the aggression though or we will be an all air attack. I can handle that too as long as its effective and we find the QB that won't be turning the ball over in an aerial attack. Riley has said he will create the offense around the talent we have. This offensive line will determine everything.

I believe that we have the talent on the O line to make this happen. We have a lot of guys in that group that were pretty well thought of coming out of HS. They just need to be in a system that works well and then be coached well to succeed.

Much of the "lack of aggression" that is talked about was the scheme they were playing in. It was the type of blocking they were asked to do. I would be happy to get back to what you describe. Hopefully Cavanaugh is the man that can get them there.

I believe that we have the talent on the O line to make this happen. We have a lot of guys in that group that were pretty well thought of coming out of HS. They just need to be in a system that works well and then be coached well to succeed.

Much of the "lack of aggression" that is talked about was the scheme they were playing in. It was the type of blocking they were asked to do. I would be happy to get back to what you describe. Hopefully Cavanaugh is the man that can get them there.

Completely agree. Especially about the former scheme and what they were asked to do.