Pre-Spring Presser with Riley and Players - March 4th

Tommy:

- No worried about who's #1 guy. Just wants to do his job, study and prove it on the field.

- Soph/Jr year HS offense was more like this.

- Langs/Riley have told him what to work on.

- Riley told him he won't be a RB, sit in pocket and make smart decisions, footwork. Says Riley/Langs will help and plays will help.

- Told him not be afraid to use his feet, still some designated QB runs. Just not his #1 job.

- Langs has been real fun. Building chemistry, joke around a lot. Looks forward to meeting his family.

- Langs told him he will be the #1 now but its a competition, have to earn it.

- #1 he wants to work on is footwork. Upper/lower body were in sync, hurt his accuracy.

- Not use to taking 5-7 step drops from under center.

- Watching Oregon State offense.

- Tommy and coaches have talked about how we use to run Zone Read, but says coaches are in total control.

- 50/50 under center/shotgun. Depending on down and distance.

- Back to Soph/Jr year HS was under center in pro style because of Malcom Brown being his Running Back.

- Thinks there will be less miscommunication being WR/QB passing.

- Thinks huddling will help.

- Strength staff has been "incredible".

- Keys: Smart decisions, check down, competition rates. Said smart decisions 4-5 times. 60-65% is his goal. Smarter decisions again. Live to fight another down.

-

Joe Dailey, the sequel.

Ummmm.....no.

Riley: Going to divide the team into two squads, Red and White, so as to have smaller practices. Practice with Red squad, while White squad does other stuf. Then switch around and practice with White squad.

^^ Interesting idea. Have fewer players on the field at one time so coaches can see everyone.

Is it me, or does this sound revolutionary?

I can picture a lot of teams doing this from here on out, two teams, practicing at separate times? That's an amazing way to get a lot more players involved in spring practice. I can almost see this being something that may become the "norm". Of course, some other teams may have done this already, I just don't know. But from what I know, it sounds new.

Even if it's not "revolutionary". Let's talk about the perception of a man who has been coaching for a long time. You would assume that guy would be stuck in his ways. He knows what he knows, so he's going to stick to it.

Instead this sounds like a person who loves what he does, and willing to work twice as hard (two practices) to make himself, his staff and this team better. If you aren't excited about Mike Riley and his approach to the game of football. Than I don't think you truly understand what passion is. Admittedly, I was (and still a tiny bit) skeptical of this guy, but man, he doesn't lack passion and he wants to get better.

Maybe I'm missing football too much, but this is some great stuff.

• Fire 4

Sad thing with TA. He has been at NU 3 years, was the starter for 2 and he is still having to improve his footwork and mechanics. Not a knock on him at all. Just further proof the right decision was reached when Bo and Co was sent packing. Anxious to see what a real QB coach can do with our guys.

Might have been above, but TA mentioned going under center about 50% of the time in HS. I am thrilled with the possibility of having a qb under center in short yardage situations. I also liked (believe Riley's comments) about why do a 5-7 step drop when under center.

The record might not reflect it, but the knowledge of this staff is light years ahead of the crew that just left. We won 9 with guys coaching with less knowledge than some on this board. I have to think that with the brain trust assembled, that has got to be worth 1-2 wins.......

I think we got a great coach. I am not putting numbers on a season, I never do. But I love his passion as stated above. He is a leader, he motivates at every opportunity, positive and concerned. Anxious to see how the kids look in spring practice. Sounds like a major change in direction in strength and conditioning. Love the idea of flying to the ball, attacking the QB.