Spring Quarterback Competition

You can even tell from these two pics that one guy is much more natural throwing the ball.

https://twitter.com/TheGundy/status/583380294582951937

The receiver is at the same spot coming off the shadow.

Follow the hash marks because that's the direction of the pass.

Now look at the lead foot for both QBs in comparison.

Tommy's front foot is to the side, planted, and pointing at the receiver. Even though he is throwing it in front of receiver (the route).

Bush has his front foot in front of him, and pointing to a spot in front of the receiver.

Don't know if it's natural or something worked on, but just off of that, AJ will be on target more often than Tommy. It definitely looks proper.

I think you mixed the two Qbs up. Armstrong's front foot is pointing about 45 degrees to the right. Bush's front foot is pointed leftward, straight at the receiver.

TAs foot is pointed at the ball boy

I think you mixed the two Qbs up. Armstrong's front foot is pointing about 45 degrees to the right. Bush's front foot is pointed leftward, straight at the receiver.

Yeah, Armstrong's toes are pointed to the right, but I think admo was just talking about the normal to the leg. Extend the line and it goes almost right to the receiver. Or, where the shoulder is pointing.

Then again, maybe these guys are running different routes? Probably not?

I hope you guys are right about Bush. Really like his potential. If he's ever going to be 'the guy', this is as good a time as any to make a move. Tommy's a tough competitor and a good leader, but he hardly has a stranglehold on the job.

• Fire 1

I would be not very surprised if Bush was your QB1 in 2015.

Not hearing nearly as much from the Stanton-ites this year? Hell, last year it seemed there were quite a few who swore Stanton would overtake Tommy as the starter. Now, not only have we really heard nothing about Stanton, but Bush has surpassed him in the conversation.

You begin to wonder why so many thought he would overtake Tommy to begin with? Does Stanton consider a transfer if he's not in the two/three deep on the depth chart?

Holy sh#t I did not know we had so many qb coaches on this board!! And yall can even coach from a still image? Wooo boy why are we paying someone the big bucks when we can just get a live practice feed to husker board members??

I know it's off season boys, and it's obvious upon watching tape that Bush looks more polished in mechanics, but cmon. He could have Joe Bausermanned that ball for all we know. I'd be willing to bet there are a variety of NFL qbs who could be put in this still and they would look poor too. There's no "perfect" form. What matters is that ball goes where it is supposed to, consistently.

• Fire 1

Holy sh#t I did not know we had so many qb coaches on this board!! And yall can even coach from a still image? Wooo boy why are we paying someone the big bucks when we can just get a live practice feed to husker board members??

I know it's off season boys, and it's obvious upon watching tape that Bush looks more polished in mechanics, but cmon. He could have Joe Bausermanned that ball for all we know. I'd be willing to bet there are a variety of NFL qbs who could be put in this still and they would look poor too. There's no "perfect" form. What matters is that ball goes where it is supposed to, consistently.

Which Tommy struggles with

Not hearing nearly as much from the Stanton-ites this year? Hell, last year it seemed there were quite a few who swore Stanton would overtake Tommy as the starter. Now, not only have we really heard nothing about Stanton, but Bush has surpassed him in the conversation.

You begin to wonder why so many thought he would overtake Tommy to begin with? Does Stanton consider a transfer if he's not in the two/three deep on the depth chart?

I think it was a reasonable expectation that Tommy didn't have a total hold on the job going into last year either, so there would be a heated competition. It didn't happen, and then Tommy wasn't a world beater (to say nothing of Fyke), so.....

On the other hand, the last staff just had a very poor track record with QBs. Taylor was a wreck mechanically and not once in his four years here could they get a guy to legitimately challenge him.

So, lots of people are skeptical about Tommy being able to address some fundamental issues and improve to a "great" level. That's fine. As long as we now have both the coaching and either the players or the ability to get players, who will come in and grab the job away. Whether that's Bush, Stanton, Darlington, or player TBD, for gosh sake, we'll be asking our QBs to be QBs from now on. If one guy isn't up to snuff, then there's no reason for there to be *nobody* available for *years* to grab the wide open opportunity at a major FBS program.

Which Tommy struggles with

Agreed, but if Bush was much more consistent, you'd think he'd be the starter by now.

Nothing about any of that says Bush will be the starter or a better QB. There is a lot more to playing the position than having good mechanics. There are good QBs with bad mechanics and there are bad QBs with good mechanics. I'm skeptical that TA will ever be a consistently good QB. But that doesn't mean he still isn't the best we have.

• Fire 4

You can even tell from these two pics that one guy is much more natural throwing the ball.

The receiver is at the same spot coming off the shadow.

Follow the hash marks because that's the direction of the pass.

Now look at the lead foot for both QBs in comparison.

Tommy's front foot is to the side, planted, and pointing at the receiver. Even though he is throwing it in front of receiver (the route).

Bush has his front foot in front of him, and pointing to a spot in front of the receiver.

Don't know if it's natural or something worked on, but just off of that, AJ will be on target more often than Tommy. It definitely looks proper.

Foot, meaning direction of stride, not literal toe angle. Set your back foot. Keep shoulders parallel with legs. Stride where throwing (left, middle, right) step into throw, arm follows.

• Fire 1