Spring Quarterback Competition

Hopefully they will retain a healthy amount of zone read w Armstrong or whichever dual qb they put in there. Fyfe is probably the only 'pro' style qb, the rest are 'dual'.

In the clips We saw of team scrimmage it looks like we will utilize zone reads and play action bootlegs off the fake zone read. Basically what you see from the likes of oregon and auburn. Sort of a read run/pass. Just my opinion from the few clips I have found

I love this stuff. Especially the bootleg pass. It's smart if that's what these coaches are doing. It utilizes Tommy's mobility but is still a designed pass. Also, Tommy throws very well on the run, sometimes even better than when hes standing in the pocket.

Hopefully they will retain a healthy amount of zone read w Armstrong or whichever dual qb they put in there. Fyfe is probably the only 'pro' style qb, the rest are 'dual'.

In the clips We saw of team scrimmage it looks like we will utilize zone reads and play action bootlegs off the fake zone read. Basically what you see from the likes of oregon and auburn. Sort of a read run/pass. Just my opinion from the few clips I have found

That's what I was thinking. Doesnt necessarily have to be zone reads to utiliize a qb's mobility. Establish a good solid running game using outside zones and stretch plays from under center that take a little to develop and then you play fake of that and get these guys on the run out of the pocket. Give him a simple two man over/under route combo to read or he can just keep it and at worse get the 5. It's simpe basic football that you see a lot of the good teams.

bottome line is this, and I'm willin to bet the farm on it. These guys arent gonna try to turn Tommy or Johnny or Bush or whoever in to a pocket qb anymore than Beck was with Tommy or Taylor. Their legs were'tn utilized in the passing game by design nearly enough. Get em one the edge and give em run/pass options. Make the defense respect your ability to get the 5-10 automatice yards on the ground. Then you force them to have to play more zone and be peeking back at the qb.

I didn't read what you said before I made my post, but yeah, we agree completely. +1

sounds like TA is not comfortable in the pocket.....i was afraid of that, he likes the open field run and gun stuff......not gonna lie, he may just not fit in Riley's disciplined system under center.

TA can't read ether. I am hoping the new staff helps him with this.

Armstrong's pocket presence is actully pretty good. Better than Martinez's, actually. I wouldn't say either was uncomfortable in the pocket, but when you give running QBs the green light to run, they're gonna take off earlier than classic pocket passers when all that green opens up. It's kinda how they got the job in the first place. Steve Young had one of the best completion percentages in NFL history, but was always criticized for having "happy feet."

I also saw Armstrong check down on his receivers enough during his first two seasons to convince me he knows how to do it. But there's a reason you have a primary receiver, and I think Armstrong had enough success with the long ball that he hangs in with his deep threat longer than most, and yeah, maybe too long. He likes going for the kill. You kinda like that in a QB, but Tommy needs to be smarter about it.

Tommy's yards-per-attempt are pretty close to his Nebraska QB predeccesors, so the high-risk, high-reward strategy isn't hurting us as much as some folks think. But making more of those mid-range and outlet passes the first option will help both ball control and the deep game when we decide to go big.

I'm an Armstrong defender, but I'll jump on the Stanton bandwagon the moment it proves to be the cooler option. I think anything can happen at QB this season.

sounds like TA is not comfortable in the pocket.....i was afraid of that, he likes the open field run and gun stuff......not gonna lie, he may just not fit in Riley's disciplined system under center.

Armstrong's pocket presence is actully pretty good. Better than Martinez's, actually. I wouldn't say either was uncomfortable in the pocket, but when you give running QBs the green light to run, they're gonna take off earlier than classic pocket passers when all that green opens up. It's kinda how they got the job in the first place. Steve Young had one of the best completion percentages in NFL history, but was always criticized for having "happy feet."

I also saw Armstrong check down on his receivers enough during his first two seasons to convince me he knows how to do it. But there's a reason you have a primary receiver, and I think Armstrong had enough success with the long ball that he hangs in with his deep threat longer than most, and yeah, maybe too long. He likes going for the kill. You kinda like that in a QB, but Tommy needs to be smarter about it.

Tommy's yards-per-attempt are pretty close to his Nebraska QB predeccesors, so the high-risk, high-reward strategy isn't hurting us as much as some folks think. But making more of those mid-range and outlet passes the first option will help both ball control and the deep game when we decide to go big.

I'm an Armstrong defender, but I'll jump on the Stanton bandwagon the moment it proves to be the cooler option. I think anything can happen at QB this season.

I agree. Tommy does check down sometimes. He knows how to do it.

Something you said is interesting. You said he locks down on his long ball WR too often and then in the next paragraph you say they need to make the short routs more of the first option.

THAT is exactly what needs to happen and I blame the scheme more than anything. If you have guys going long, the QB needs to have a short rout he is looking at until the deep WR gets to where he needs to be. If those short routs (more often than not) aren't in the play, or if he is being told to look at the deep WR first, that's on coaching. Not on the QB.

I believe this is what we will see more of with MRs offense.

In fairness there were a good number of crossing patterns and 10 yard sideline outs that were the ONLY option on the given play, and Tommy completed a decent share of them.

But we're all thinking about watching those deep balls developing, while secondary receivers and running backs were standing wide open nearby, with lots of real estate in front of them.

TA forces the ball into coverage way to often. Too many ints.

they will need to reduce his options, limit his calls and receiver routes he is allowed to throw........or ride the pine.

they will need to reduce his options, limit his calls and receiver routes he is allowed to throw........or ride the pine.
More like have designated routes from the receivers and tell TA to look here and here if they are in man, here and here if they are in zone.

Really! Beck offense relied on timing patterns and many of ITs were due to the WR going a different direction. Only Beck will know who made the mistake QB or WR.

Really! Beck offense relied on timing patterns and many of ITs were due to the WR going a different direction. Only Beck will know who made the mistake QB or WR.

I saw TA throw the deep ball into double or triple coverage many times. Also saw him stare down receivers on short routes and burn it into heavy coverage. I also saw the timing patterns you refer to where the Husker receiver is not around. In that case, I agree, either TA or the receiver made a bad decision.

I saw TA throw the deep ball into double or triple coverage many times. Also saw him stare down receivers on short routes and burn it into heavy coverage. I also saw the timing patterns you refer to where the Husker receiver is not around. In that case, I agree, either TA or the receiver made a bad decision.

well, he is still throwing picks in spring practice, so no matter who's system he is in, he needs help!.......but we knew this, wonder what Langs will do with the kid?

well, he is still throwing picks in spring practice, so no matter who's system he is in, he needs help!.......but we knew this, wonder what Langs will do with the kid?

I am hoping he will learn. It has only been two weeks. I am also wondering about the effect of the DTs. Under Bo's system, the DL stood around, and the QBs didn't feel any pressure. Could the picks be somewhat caused by pressure? If so, it is better to ee the pressure now, so they can learn to deal with it.

I am hoping he will learn. It has only been two weeks. I am also wondering about the effect of the DTs. Under Bo's system, the DL stood around, and the QBs didn't feel any pressure. Could the picks be somewhat caused by pressure? If so, it is better to ee the pressure now, so they can learn to deal with it.

My understanding is the coaches are not worried about the INTs right now, but want to see improvement. It sounds like they are trying to the QBs to make better reads & get rid of the ball faster. Stanton apparently is the most accurate, but is holding onto the ball too long. It also sounds like no one was very impressive the day Tommy was held out.