Spring Quarterback Competition

Hey!? Where's all this Johnny Stanton talk this year? I like the kid, but I swear some of you had crowned him the next big thing here? What's the holdup? Sounds to me Armstrong and now Bush ate getting the majority of attention.

I've been a huge fan of both Bush and Stanton for a while now. Bush looks really good in the pocket with some great form while passing. Stanton between his performance in the elite 11 and film I've seen of him he's got a great in pocket presence and keeps his eyes down field while on the move.

Hey!? Where's all this Johnny Stanton talk this year? I like the kid, but I swear some of you had crowned him the next big thing here? What's the holdup? Sounds to me Armstrong and now Bush ate getting the majority of attention.

They've barely just started practicing you realize that right? Also don't believe everything you read especially from journalists who's only job is to 'cover' sports when most of them probably no more than wrote for there own school papers than actually even played a a sport themselves. I don't get caught up in any of these 'pieces'. I'll wait to see or not see for myself.

• Fire 1

They've barely just started practicing you realize that right? Also don't believe everything you read especially from journalists who's only job is to 'cover' sports when most of them probably no more than wrote for there own school papers than actually even played a a sport themselves. I don't get caught up in any of these 'pieces'. I'll wait to see or not see for myself.

Yes, I know when they started practicing.

Hasn't Stanton been practicing here for quite awhile now? I was led to believe that many thought he would possibly overtake Tommy as the starter at some point LAST season. So I can only assume that by your stating that they've just started practicing, you think Stanton will move into that conversation of top QB's at some point here further down the road?

Well, either way, I hope the best man gets on the field and wins games. Sounds like Bush is really getting a lot of hype right now. We'll just have to see. I don't think these journalists are just blowing smoke up our ass though, whether they ever played football or not shouldn't effect their eyesight.

Yes, I know when they started practicing.

Hasn't Stanton been practicing here for quite awhile now? I was led to believe that many thought he would possibly overtake Tommy as the starter at some point LAST season. So I can only assume that by your stating that they've just started practicing, you think Stanton will move into that conversation of top QB's at some point here further down the road?

Well, either way, I hope the best man gets on the field and wins games. Sounds like Bush is really getting a lot of hype right now. We'll just have to see. I don't think these journalists are just blowing smoke up our ass though, whether they ever played football or not shouldn't effect their eyesight.

As for who's the starter and who actually gets to play that's up to the new coaching staff. It's still very early. We've all seen with our own eyes what Tommy can do and can't do. As for last season we all know who was in charge then so who those guys actually picked to see the field holds almost no merit for me at least. Bo's gone. Thank goodness.

I heard audio of Stanton addressing media a few days ago. He mentioned he needs to work on his confidence, but believes in his athletic ability. Maybe it's a lot between the ears that's holding him back? I don't know. :dunno

They say he's too hard on himself because he wants to do everything perfect everytime, then it affects him when he doesn't.
  • Fire 2

I heard audio of Stanton addressing media a few days ago. He mentioned he needs to work on his confidence, but believes in his athletic ability. Maybe it's a lot between the ears that's holding him back? I don't know. :dunno

McKewon had an article that pretty much said this. Said Stanton is hanging onto the ball too long, probably not trusting what he's seeing yet. This game happens fast. You got to recognize and let it fly.

• Fire 1

Just read this little bit regarding the latest practice report. Same old Tommy.

"Certainly Saturday came with some questionable throws that led to interceptions in team drills, including several by returning starter Armstrong."

Also: " STILL ADJUSTING: No quarterback has lit the place afire during the first week of spring ball."

Link

Just read this little bit regarding the latest practice report. Same old Tommy.

"Certainly Saturday came with some questionable throws that led to interceptions in team drills, including several by returning starter Armstrong."

Also: " STILL ADJUSTING: No quarterback has lit the place afire during the first week of spring ball."

Link

I don't expect the staff to develop the QBs after one week, nor do I expect the Qbs to be doing much more than learning the playbook that fast either. I'd love to see anyone come out of Spring Ball the clear cut gamer, but this might be a question till fall camp.

Makes a bit more sense. Thanks Warrior and True

So that means until he gets that fixed, which he obviously was able to do in HS, it's safe to say he's not starter material or immediate backup ready.

His high school offense really hasn't helped him. IIRC, they ran a double wing option attack. He wasn't really asked to throw it around much so I think he's had to learn some things in college that some QBs developed in HS.

Good lord...defense is easier to pick up than QBs and WRs aging perfect timing together in s new system. This offense has had 5 practices to be learned.

Good job Trai. Other than that it doesn't mean squat.

Nobody is hitting the quarterback. He's not on the road in Columbus. He has support from coaches around him. They all got the playbook 2 weeks in advance to help ease into these days. Call the play and throw the ball - in practice. 3 picks does mean squat, even if a little to some. There are other QBs competing also that want to start and play as well. If they do not throw 3 picks, it probably means something to them when they get evaluated.

There once was a QB competition that came down to turnovers. We won a national title that year.

• Fire 1