Spring Quarterback Competition

My biggest wish in the coaching search was a hot-shot OC who'd bring his stud 2015 QB recruit with him.

Since we didn't get that, I'd definitely be looking on the transfer market.

All that said, I don't know that they really need to change their system all that much. They've already said - and been practicing - they'd incorporate more QB run (zone read) than they've ever used. And their system *can* run the ball a lot. They've just been pretty pass-happy the last few years. Lean heavier on the run game and the defense and see what happens.

"Lean heavier on the run game and the defense", that sounds familiar. I think we've been trying that formula around here for a long time. I think what every Nebraska fan is learning, including myself, is that the passing game will always be vital to success. Not necessarily how much we throw it, but being effective WHEN we throw it.

It's time Nebraska becomes like every other successful team in the game right now and finds a QB who can sling it when needed.

I'm still thinking Tommy can be that guy but it sure doesn't sound like he's blowing anybody away so far this spring.

I agree. But if we don't have a QB who can provide a consistent passing game, I'd rather take my chances running it than throwing it.

Yea, that's true. So then we're back to the question marks at RB because we sure as hell don't have a warrior like Ameer Abdullah coming back.

We've truly got a lot of question marks heading into this season. Which is pretty much the norm.

Is there any hot lead on a QB transfer we could go after just in case?

It seems like most of the fifth year candidates that were named following the bowl games have picked their schools. Any transfer would likely have to come from a kid getting beat out this spring.

Edit:

• Daxx Garman just left OSU and would be eligible immediately.
  • Connor Brewer left Arizona prior to spring practice. He was a highly rated kid out of high school, transferred after a year at Texas to AZ and has now decided to transfer with his degree and 2 years left to play.
  • Evan Crower a back up QB from Standford has decided to transfer and would be eligible immediately.
  • Stephen Rivers, brother of Phillip Rivers has transferred from LSU to Vandy, and has now decided to transfer again in his 5th year.

Wasn't Stanton a Riley recruit at Or.ST ? What's that say.

Tommy has shown he can't throw the touch pass, with any consistency.

I hope we develop a great running game to help the passing game, or it could be a long season. jmo

GBR!!!

Says that Stanton made the wrong decision coming to play for Coach Bo. Do you really expect any coach to fix all of a QB's problems in two weeks of practice?

I hope we develop a great running game to help the passing game, or it could be a long season. jmo

GBR!!!

Riley looks for tangibles, which Stanton has. None of these QBs have been coached by the old staff. We knew what we had before Riley got here. People expect too much, as we have only had 3 weeks of practice with the first being an observation week.

GBR!!!

Riley looks for tangibles, which Stanton has. None of these QBs have been coached by the old staff. We knew what we had before Riley got here. People expect too much, as we have only had 3 weeks of practice with the first being an observation week.

I bet if T-Mart had this new staff coaching him he would have completed 100% of his passes, not just 65%...since the last staff did not coach the QB's at all.

I not saying Tommy can't get better, I am saying he has had almost two full seasons, and his short game doesn't seem to be getting any better. That would be something you would think, he would have been working on, on his own, if need be.

GBR!!!

I think that you are in the same boat as I am...TA is who he is...

Look, this staff may be more experienced and there may be a QB coach now but lets not pretend like they can make anyone a good QB...you still need a really good starting point and TA is who he is...a 55% passer for the most part.

GBR!!!

I bet if T-Mart had this new staff coaching him he would have completed 100% of his passes, not just 65%...since the last staff did not coach the QB's at all.

IMO T-mart made significant gains after he hired an elite QB coach during summertime.

Mid-Spring analysis via OWH: Armstrong the leader at the turn - seemingly by a decent margin. Shifty runner and throws a very good deep ball. Needs work on the short routes. Stanton a good runner and sounds like he's quick and accurate on short throws but is struggling working through his progressions.

The same things are being said of Stanton right now that were being said a year ago at this same time. He's not getting through his reads and progressions.

• Fire 1

I not saying Tommy can't get better, I am saying he has had almost two full seasons, and his short game doesn't seem to be getting any better. That would be something you would think, he would have been working on, on his own, if need be.

GBR!!!

Like I said before, he had no QB coach. Beck only threw to the flats, no backs, no TE, no slants. This is just as much a problem with the prior staff as it is with Tommy. If Tommy wants to be the QB, he needs to work on his short game before fall practice. Bush as the same problem and Stanton can not read defenses. Its a QB wide problem due to the lack of coaching for this position.

OFFENSEQB - Johnny Stanton / Tommy Armstrong

Rememer that prediction? You had him starting over Tommy by the FAU game last year.

that and this http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/73850-overunder-on-new-starters-for-2015-16/&do=findComment&comment=1513943

Not picking on you, but it's almost been funny as I've watched you and Landlord completely jump ship on all these grandiose predictions you guys had for the kid and debated with me about a season ago. Now we're talking about him transferring. I got nothing against him, if the coaches said he was the man, I'd root for him, but many here were crowning the kid and he hadn't even done anything yet.

OFFENSEQB - Johnny Stanton / Tommy Armstrong

Rememer that prediction? You had him starting over Tommy by the FAU game last year.

Not picking on you, but it's almost been funny as I've watched you and Landlord completely jump ship on all these grandiose predictions you guys had for the kid and debated with me about a season ago. Now we're talking about him transferring. I got nothing against him, if the coaches said he was the man, I'd root for him, but many here were crowning the kid and he hadn't even done anything yet.

Sooooo true!