Spring Quarterback Competition

Hi there, Oregon State interloper here, wandered by to see what's shaking with your new coach and see a qb battle is brewing.

My thoughts on this thread based on many years of observation of Riley and Langsdorf, other OCs-

It is possible, but not likely that Riley may have the two contenders co-own the spot all the way through the season. He did this with Sean Canfield and Lyle Moevao in 2008 with mixed results. It was not fun. Nothing more frustrating as a fan to hear the coaches continually say that nobody has made themselves The Guy at the most important position. At some point you want to blame the coaches for not identifying which player to go with and make a choice.

More likely he and Langsdorf will have to make a choice because Riley doesnt have the mile long leash he had in Corvallis. But understand that he will take his time making a choice and it will be the guy who stays in the pocket either long enough to make a completion, throw an interception or take a sack. If there is one hallmark of Riley's offense it is finishing your shift as air traffic controller when the building is on fire, or falling down whatever. There are no designed scrambles and even moving the pocket around to let the quarterback roll out to one side of the field is, like a crazy idea. I can remember exactly two quarterback draws in 12 years and i dont think they were called plays.

Your offense may be a departure but i doubt it. Riley is as stubborn as he is nice. In fact i am going to say his friendly and down to earth way of being shields him from questions about his flexibility. Even the most vile dickweeds are defeated by the gee golly force field.

That said, i think he wins 9 or 10 games this year if he gets his coaching mojo back. He knows the fundamentals and can get kids to buy in. I would worry about late game decision making based on the last few years but maybe the change in surroundings will heal that nasty case of brain cloud he developed the last few seasons.

Welcome to the board.

What you described could be said about our last coach(s). Hopefully Riley realized his errors from past and can adjust.

So here is what is going on with the QB competition from what I gather.

TA - still the #1 guy with his experience, but the coaches don't like how he reads defenses and makes progressions

Stanton - he must really suck. I know he was an Elite 11 guy, but he wasn't asked to make reads in high school, and he was recruited because he was a big, fast, bruising runner at the QB position. Sounds like he is a poor-man's Tim Tebow.

Bush - a lot of raw, athletic ability and arm-strength but he has ZERO experience and not killing everyone to leap ahead of everyone

Fife - he also really sucks, and the only reason he was the #2 guy last year was that Stanton was just worse

Darlington - probably a really smart kid who can pick up an offense and read defenses. He's a coach's son. He also has a noodle arm, made out of paper-mache, and is another concussion away from never playing again.

I forgot to add that according to this board, any negatives the QB's on the roster have are due to the previous staff not having an assigned QB coach, even though there was a GA that did it (Ganz) and Beck probably knows how to coach QB's too.

• Fire 1
it will be the guy who stays in the pocket either long enough to make a completion, throw an interception or take a sack.

Based off this part right here, looks like the mystery is solved. Tommy Armstrong Jr. will retain his position as starting QB.

And welcome to the board, glad to have some Beaver fans around here to weigh in on Riley as this process unfolds.

it will be the guy who stays in the pocket either long enough to make a completion, throw an interception or take a sack.

Based off this part right here, looks like the mystery is solved. Tommy Armstrong Jr. will retain his position as starting QB.

And welcome to the board, glad to have some Beaver fans around here to weigh in on Riley as this process unfolds.

unless he is improved from last season, he won't be out there for long as the starter......especially turn overs, will get him riding the pine.

Hi there, Oregon State interloper here, wandered by to see what's shaking with your new coach and see a qb battle is brewing.

My thoughts on this thread based on many years of observation of Riley and Langsdorf, other OCs-

It is possible, but not likely that Riley may have the two contenders co-own the spot all the way through the season. He did this with Sean Canfield and Lyle Moevao in 2008 with mixed results. It was not fun. Nothing more frustrating as a fan to hear the coaches continually say that nobody has made themselves The Guy at the most important position. At some point you want to blame the coaches for not identifying which player to go with and make a choice.

More likely he and Langsdorf will have to make a choice because Riley doesnt have the mile long leash he had in Corvallis. But understand that he will take his time making a choice and it will be the guy who stays in the pocket either long enough to make a completion, throw an interception or take a sack. If there is one hallmark of Riley's offense it is finishing your shift as air traffic controller when the building is on fire, or falling down whatever. There are no designed scrambles and even moving the pocket around to let the quarterback roll out to one side of the field is, like a crazy idea. I can remember exactly two quarterback draws in 12 years and i dont think they were called plays.

Your offense may be a departure but i doubt it. Riley is as stubborn as he is nice. In fact i am going to say his friendly and down to earth way of being shields him from questions about his flexibility. Even the most vile dickweeds are defeated by the gee golly force field.

That said, i think he wins 9 or 10 games this year if he gets his coaching mojo back. He knows the fundamentals and can get kids to buy in. I would worry about late game decision making based on the last few years but maybe the change in surroundings will heal that nasty case of brain cloud he developed the last few seasons.

Welcome to the board. Your incite is appreciated. Even if the comments make me cringe..... Time will tell. The thought of not allowing a QB to run makes me scratch my head. This season, not on your comments alone, but the lack of a "Riley QB" is making me rethink this being a 9 win season..... Maybe a losing one?

Langsdorf says the biggest thing he is looking for right now is accuracy.

Perhaps if someone can pick that part up they'd put themselves in good position.

Accuracy. In a QB. Who would've thought of that. Really frustrating that after 7 years, we are left with a position that lacks the one fundamental that makes the position. Accuracy.

IMO, another look at the error that was Bo. For 7 years the team was mistake prone ie penalties, fumbles. Missed tackles and assignments. Having a non-accurate QB should surprise me know more than watching a RB gash us for over 400 yards in one game and having penalty after penalty on top of the fundamental break downs...

Langsdorf says the biggest thing he is looking for right now is accuracy.

Perhaps if someone can pick that part up they'd put themselves in good position.

From what I heard today, Darlington is leading in the accuracy category.
Yeah, been hearing the same, especially in the last week. Sounds like the biggest thing holding him back is lack of arm strength. But his accuracy and decision making seem to be catching people's eye.

Really frustrating that after 7 years, we are left with a position that lacks the one fundamental that makes the position. Accuracy.

You make it sound like players are on 7+ year scholarships.

Name a QB under Bo who had it? That's my point. NU has not had an accurate passer under Bo. Ganz? Not his recruit. Martinez? Better, but a private QB coach helped more than anything. NU, IIRC was the only school to offer Martinez a shot to play QB.

No, accurate QB's have not been the calling card of a TimBo Wats offense.........

• Fire 1

Well...what is accurate?

T-Mart his on like 63% of his passes, I think...

So, what is the number you want?

With Riley it's their percentage (70% with above 60% being the goal) and Langs comment above, I am assuming a lot better than TA's career. 52%.

I don't want the turn overs. I can personally care less about percentages. It's just this staff wants a prolific passing O. That is predicated on a QB who can read the D, go through progressions and get the ball accurately to a receiver. Just unsure who that QB is at NU. I haven't seen him play yet........

Tommie was a prime example (I know completely different O), but is an example of a "bad" QB with completion percentages, but was a winner. He either threw TD's or nothing. His TD to INT ratio was incredible all while never throwing better than 56%.

Under Riley and what he wants, we will need one who can regularly get above 60% IMO. Unless he is experienced enough to adjust the O to play to our current strengths ie what he has, not what he wants.