Spring Quarterback Competition

Agreed. Riley, Langsdorf, Cavanaugh, Davis, Williams - they all have to make it happen together.

i am sure they will do the best they can with what they have, the qb cabinet was not stocked.

Our starting QB might not be the best, but will be the best we have. I wonder if the most "complete" QB will give us the best chance to win......

From a HS coach I know Bush definitely has the biggest arm. Struggles with accuracy but is extremely good in regards to pocket presence and scrambling. Still raw overall but athletically is a specimen. He thinks TA starts but Bush has the highest ceiling on the roster at the QB position

Agreed. Riley, Langsdorf, Cavanaugh, Davis, Williams - they all have to make it happen together.

i am sure they will do the best they can with what they have, the qb cabinet was not stocked.

Stocked with runners that catch and throw. Right now it appears to be a log jam top to bottom. And plenty of growing pains.

Summer workouts will be important. 1s and 2s will get most snaps during fall. I'll be more worried if we hear the same rumblings going into week 3 of fall camp. There still is time for this stuff to click.

There are quarterbacks on the roster like Stanton, who was recruited by Riley......and Darlington, who was recruited by Ohio State, that have plenty of opportunity. There were no shortage of posts about Pelini not playing underclassmen, or not playing the most talented player. I would think Riley would be able to develop one or more quarterbacks currently on roster.

There are quarterbacks on the roster like Stanton, who was recruited by Riley......and Darlington, who was recruited by Ohio State, that have plenty of opportunity. There were no shortage of posts about Pelini not playing underclassmen, or not playing the most talented player. I would think Riley would be able to develop one or more quarterbacks currently on roster.

Eventually I have no doubt he will be able to, now in time for the level we would like by 2015 season is unlikely.
  • Fire 1

OFFENSEQB - Johnny Stanton / Tommy Armstrong

Rememer that prediction? You had him starting over Tommy by the FAU game last year.

that and this http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/73850-overunder-on-new-starters-for-2015-16/&do=findComment&comment=1513943

Not picking on you, but it's almost been funny as I've watched you and Landlord completely jump ship on all these grandiose predictions you guys had for the kid and debated with me about a season ago. Now we're talking about him transferring. I got nothing against him, if the coaches said he was the man, I'd root for him, but many here were crowning the kid and he hadn't even done anything yet.

Yep. My predictions were based more based on my observations of TA and how I didn't think he would be a consistent QB. Stanton was the most likely successor at that point so I thought he'd overtake him. I was wrong.

How are your grandiose predictions for TA coming?

Haha! Touche' man +1.

I had pretty much already admitted last year did not live up to expectations. Sadly it doesn't sound like Tommy is immediately flourishing in this new system either.

I just hadn't heard much from you or Landlord about Stanton so I needed to get a little friendly jab in there. Nothing personal.

Yeah, unfortunately none of our QBs are as good as any of use hoped. I wish at least one of us was right. I could at least be happy to be wrong. :D

• Fire 1

Pretty tough when they got zero coaching from the your boy's on the previous staff. Curious, how is PeLLLLini developing QB's at Youngstown St. this spring? I'm sure you've been following them closely.

Pretty tough when they got zero coaching from the your boy's on the previous staff. Curious, how is PeLLLLini developing QB's at Youngstown St. this spring? I'm sure you've been following them closely.

[/quote

OSU can afford to take a chance on a QB, when you have three very good ones already. We can't.

As far as our qb's not getting the coaching from the former staff, that's crap. Maybe they just aren't that good.

I think Bo and staff got the best ones, that wanted to play in Lincoln.

If there is a talented qb on the roster, Riley will do his best to coach him up, and then maybe we can all say Bo and Beck didn't do their jobs, if Tommy or Stanton turn out to be the real deal. Till then we don't have a clue.

GBR!!!

Hi there, Oregon State interloper here, wandered by to see what's shaking with your new coach and see a qb battle is brewing.

My thoughts on this thread based on many years of observation of Riley and Langsdorf, other OCs-

It is possible, but not likely that Riley may have the two contenders co-own the spot all the way through the season. He did this with Sean Canfield and Lyle Moevao in 2008 with mixed results. It was not fun. Nothing more frustrating as a fan to hear the coaches continually say that nobody has made themselves The Guy at the most important position. At some point you want to blame the coaches for not identifying which player to go with and make a choice.

More likely he and Langsdorf will have to make a choice because Riley doesnt have the mile long leash he had in Corvallis. But understand that he will take his time making a choice and it will be the guy who stays in the pocket either long enough to make a completion, throw an interception or take a sack. If there is one hallmark of Riley's offense it is finishing your shift as air traffic controller when the building is on fire, or falling down whatever. There are no designed scrambles and even moving the pocket around to let the quarterback roll out to one side of the field is, like a crazy idea. I can remember exactly two quarterback draws in 12 years and i dont think they were called plays.

Your offense may be a departure but i doubt it. Riley is as stubborn as he is nice. In fact i am going to say his friendly and down to earth way of being shields him from questions about his flexibility. Even the most vile dickweeds are defeated by the gee golly force field.

That said, i think he wins 9 or 10 games this year if he gets his coaching mojo back. He knows the fundamentals and can get kids to buy in. I would worry about late game decision making based on the last few years but maybe the change in surroundings will heal that nasty case of brain cloud he developed the last few seasons.

• Fire 3