Langsdorf Not Looking to Make Drastic Chages to QB Mechanics

I'll make a bold statement that a lot won't agree with. TAs throwing motion is not the biggest problem by far and if you try to change it, it will be a disaster.

There are some little things like footwork that can be improved on but, that's something every QB works on and where these coavhes will focus as far as the act of throwing the ball.

Change s little footwork and the rest of the body will follow naturally without actually changing his throwing motion.

It's like when someone finally taught Tmart that he was using the wrong foot the begin his drop back after snap. That one little change made him much more efficient getting rid of the ball.

The coaches have basically said this same thing.

I gotta think that TA is well over 60% next year.

i don't know about that, but i would rather see him throw the ball away than force it and throw INT's......that needs to change, nothing worse than a bunch of damn turn overs and losing field position!

Nothing worse? I can think of lots of things worse, far worse....like your wife sleeping with your brother for example. Your family killed by a drunk driver. I could go on and on and unless you are a complete moron (literally, and I don't think you are) I think you get the idea. :D

wow, get your dick stepped on today?

Hahaha! No. Just trying to point out that there are things far worse than a bad football game.

What are you talking about?! Nebraska football is life!

So he is going to tweak minor things in regards to mechanics regarding TA...ummm last I checked that is exactly what TA needs. He doesn't shot put the ball like TM used to

And teach him not to force the ball into coverage, to check down, and to do these things with the correct timing.

Sooo mostly things that don't involve mechanics

Did you read it. They are trying to change the little details like making their throws more compact, working on release & elbow postion. That is all mechanics. The idea is not to completely change how a QB throws, but to work on the details that will make him more accurate of a thrower & have a faster arm.

So he is going to tweak minor things in regards to mechanics regarding TA...ummm last I checked that is exactly what TA needs. He doesn't shot put the ball like TM used to

And teach him not to force the ball into coverage, to check down, and to do these things with the correct timing.

Did you read it. They are trying to change the little details like making their throws more compact, working on release & elbow postion. That is all mechanics. The idea is not to completely change how a QB throws, but to work on the details that will make him more accurate of a thrower & have a faster arm.

Minor tweaks yes. However TAs biggest flaws have very little to do with mechanics

Minor tweaks yes. However TAs biggest flaws have very little to do with mechanics

I think all will agree with that. Progressions & timing seem to be his big down fall. As far as timing goes a more compact throwing motion & a quickier release will help with some of his timing issues. Elbow postion should help with accuracy & control. As well they have been working a lot on footwork which is a very important part of a QB's mechanics.

He is inaccurate because his mechanics are bad (mainly on shorter throws). He can get better if he can improve in other area - not staring down receivers, not pre-determining where he's going to throw the ball - but he's going to struggle to complete a very high percentage because his mechanics keep him from completing a lot of short throws that boost your completion percentage.

Yea, the header says Langsdorf won't make drastic changes, but footwork is not really a drastic change- its a necessary part of throwing an accurate football. Tommy's got some footwork issues and he needs to stop strong arming his passes. Your feet and your body lead the throw, your arm just follows through. Tommy looks like he's muscling it sometimes. Mavric's right, if Tommy wants to improve in these other areas, he will have to at least work on this aspect of his mechanics.

Also, learn how to throw a touch pass.

Footwork isn't a drastic change compared to changing something with your throwing motion. But it's very hard to change because - like Langsdorf said - they've been doing something one way for so long that it's really hard to break the habit. In TA's case, he's been so used to being able to muscle throws that he gets sloppy with his footwork on short throws or when he has to hurry. That's very hard to overcome.

TA doesn't have major issues with his footwork unless he is rushed to throw or feels under pressure. If he is just out throwing the ball in warmups or if he is in a play where he doesn't feel pressured, his footwork isn't horrible.

Many things can help him get better at reducing those times where this is a problem. This can go all the way to the scheme he is asked to run. If he is more comfortable with the passing scheme and the reads, he isn't going to feel as rushed mentally. If his Oline is doing a better job of pass pro, then he isn't going to feel as rushed....etc.

Riley has stated that he is a "naturally thrower" and that is why he doesn't see the need to make drastic changes to his actual throwing motion.

TA doesn't have major issues with his footwork unless he is rushed to throw or feels under pressure. If he is just out throwing the ball in warmups or if he is in a play where he doesn't feel pressured, his footwork isn't horrible.

Many things can help him get better at reducing those times where this is a problem. This can go all the way to the scheme he is asked to run. If he is more comfortable with the passing scheme and the reads, he isn't going to feel as rushed mentally. If his Oline is doing a better job of pass pro, then he isn't going to feel as rushed....etc.

Riley has stated that he is a "naturally thrower" and that is why he doesn't see the need to make drastic changes to his actual throwing motion.

No. He rarely steps into short throws, even when not under pressure. His weight is still on his back foot.