Video Feature on Coach Cavanaugh

"I've waited my whole life [to coach at a place like Nebraska]."

You know, before the new guys were brought in, Husker Nation was in the grips of a palpable and hard-to-deny fear that there was nobody out there who would want to coach here, because A) Nebraska, and B) 9-win coaches get fired.

Now we have some of the best, most professional coaches in the business who have previously turned down offers to leave Oregon State, gushing about the chance. Pretty cool.

Well said Zoogs.

I like this guy. The more I see and hear about these new coaches, the more I wonder what the hell were we doing for the last 5 years. Only thing I can figure is that Callahan set the bar so low that we didn't even realize how far below par Bo & Co were. Ready for football.......real football, for a change.

You got that right. Makes me think - Hey we are Nebraska, what are we doing wt a rookie head coach, a rookie DC, Rookie OC, converted grad assistants. Our standard was way to low.

• Fire 2

"I've waited my whole life [to coach at a place like Nebraska]."

You know, before the new guys were brought in, Husker Nation was in the grips of a palpable and hard-to-deny fear that there was nobody out there who would want to coach here, because A) Nebraska, and B) 9-win coaches get fired.

Now we have some of the best, most professional coaches in the business who have previously turned down offers to leave Oregon State, gushing about the chance. Pretty cool.

Yea, that struck me too - made me proud to be a Husker. I think this whole staff feels fortunate and not entitled. We'll see it on the field. Embrace tradition and then they will play up to that tradition (and coach up to it as well)

• Fire 1

I like this guy. The more I see and hear about these new coaches, the more I wonder what the hell were we doing for the last 5 years. Only thing I can figure is that Callahan set the bar so low that we didn't even realize how far below par Bo & Co were. Ready for football.......real football, for a change.

You got that right. Makes me think - Hey we are Nebraska, what are we doing wt a rookie head coach, a rookie DC, Rookie OC, converted grad assistants. Our standard was way to low.

Yes sir, yes it was.

This guy is my favorite hire on the entire staff. Just seems like a tough son of a bitch that understands what the pipeline is and the responsibility he has at NU as the OL coach

I really like the guy too. Still, this is the key area for me on this team. We have to see an improved offensive line. Period.

I want to see guys finishing blocks.

I don't want to see confusion and missed assignments on every other play.

Most of all, if I see a linemen as a lead blocker headed downfield and completely run past every defender like I've watched these guys do for the last few years, then I'm gonna flip. I don't know if these kids thought they were spectators or what the hell they we're thinking, but good lord, freaking find somebody to HIT dammit!

6'5"+ 300 lbs.+ dudes who look like they are afraid of contact? To hell with that garbage. You gotta hunt for it. You gotta want to plant somebody in the dirt.

If Cavanaugh can't get this out of these guys, can't develop some toughness an aggressiveness, and more importantly, doesn't hold the guys who aren't bringing it accountable, then I won't root for any of em.

If Nebraska football is anything, it's badass m-f'rs owning the trenches for four quarters. That's what I want to see.

You're going to have to start keeping your discontent to one thread.

He's mad that people stopped believing what Pelini was selling AFTER 7 years of on the field data to work with so he wants to dismiss HCMR before even one game. Pelini didn't start getting any big time flak at all til the loss we took to Wisconsin in the 2012 B1G championship how we did.

He's mad that people stopped believing what Pelini was selling AFTER 7 years of on the field data to work with so he wants to dismiss HCMR before even one game. Pelini didn't start getting any big time flak at all til the loss we took to Wisconsin in the 2012 B1G championship how we did.

Posters can keep bringing up Pelini all they like, but it's ignoring that Riley has much more than "7 years of on the field data".....and it's not impressive.

Posters can keep bringing up Pelini all they like, but it's ignoring that Riley has much more than "7 years of on the field data".....and it's not impressive.

You're comparing apples to oranges. One spent 7 years at NEBRASKA, a far more prestigious program where we had the talent to contend every year and have to contend against Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Iowa to go to championships. The other is the red headed step brother of Oregon where recruits don't want to go no matter the weight Mike Riley carries as well as having to play Oregon, Stanford, and Washington in their divison yearly (a tougher set of 3 than ours would you agree?). I'd gladly see what Riley can do here before I cast him aside without seeing a season or two first.