Ernie Chambers making the Big Boy news

Ernie says outrageous things because that's what Ernie does.

But I can't help but wonder if there would be the same "ho-hum" and defending of a different senator if someone else would have said "If I was going to carry a weapon ... mine would be for black people. And if I carried a gun I'd want to shoot him first and then ask questions later."

• Fire 1

• 11 months later...

I think everyone is taking what he said a bit too literally. He never said he was going to shoot a cop. What he was saying in a not so PC and very inflammatory way is that a black citizen isn't afforded the same protection as a police officer. The officer can "shoot first" and ask questions latter and be protected under probable cause or the letter of the law, ultimately not being accountable for their actions. But as has been discussed for some time here and around the nation, minorities have been continually harassed, even killed, and have had little to no recourse.

IF he had shared his message like that, this wouldnt be an issue.

The fact that he compared the police to ISIS and said he would probably shoot a cop if he had a gun is the issue.

He said those words..

The problem is that had he said it that way, it would've just blended into the endless white noise that other politkspeak funnels into. He'd be another black guy saying, "Hey, there's institutional racism here, and black people are disproportionately affected." It's true, but there would still be a ton of people who don't acknowledge that or don't care.

Without him saying it that way, we wouldn't be having this conversation, because it wouldn't be news.

It's just Ernie's way of stirring the pot and getting people to talk about the issues he thinks are important.