Gregory tests positive for pot at combine

Amac3309

Having weed issues in his past is news to me.

Sarcasm?

I always thought from the get go RG looked kinda stoned. Whatev. Better than getting addicted to painkillers.
For those wondering why top athletes would want to smoke up, there's one answer right there.

Exactly.

I legitimately have a medical license to smoke weed in Colorado for chronic pain. Ibuprofen, aspirin, opiates...none of them kill the pain like weed does. Heck the first two don't do anything for the pain and opiates don't really kill the pain, they just make me not care about it. Weed works wonders for me in that regard and I don't have to get completely wasted to get relief either. It's not likely that any of you would even know I'd been smoking.

And if all that fails, there's always hashish! :smokin

I honestly can not believe I just read posts trying to make poor Randy out to be a victim. Absolutely baffling.

If we contemplate the truest sense of right and wrong, it's not baffling at all. He's absolutely the victim of a broken system.

As is the single mother who was sent to prison for a decade for selling a dime bag.

As is the epileptic child who can't get the medicine he needs.

These are the types of people who RG should be lumped in with. Not an alleged rapist.

Good friggen Lord.

He isn't in jail. He isn't denied a job. He isn't raped. He isn't anything other than tested positive for a drug that a potential future employer says that if you do, you potentially will be punished if you work for them.

This victimization of anything here is just plain preposterous. And, you never have seen me on any of these boards go down this path....but....this victimization of Gregory is a part of a problem that I hear teachers in our school systems talk about all the time. When little Johnny gets caught doing something against school rules, the parents don't sit little Johnny down and punish and explain that he has to abide by the rules. They turn to the principal to call the teacher in to chew them out for why they are disciplining little Johnny. When in fact, little Johnny is a little sh#t head that knows how to work the system.

Life has rules. You might not agree with all the rules. But, when there is a rule that an employer has to work for them and you know those rules very clearly and you break those rules....that's on YOU not the employer.

Terrible reasoning.

Under that way of thinking, slavery would still be a thing and women couldn't vote, ya' know, 'cause thems the rules.

Rules aren't static. Rules aren't inherently just. Rules can be made and upheld for dubious and nefarious reasons, and not everyone who breaks them is a sh#t head. Not everyone who breaks them is in the wrong.

You can have your rules and backwards thinking. That's not how progress is made.

Good thing we're not debating the rules. We're debating what happens to someone when they're broken.

Well said. I don't think this thread would be 5 pages if it was limited to what happens next, and if it was a normal or stupid thing to do (risk). But I do like the personal chime-ins. There is no right or wrong opinion. I think RG reaches for it to cope and likes how it makes him feel, even on a good day. And I can also see NFL lineman resort to it after several years of physical collisions every week to help alleviate pain. Most of them either do not get caught or wisely choose a different method than pot, in order to keep getting those hefty NFL checks. Hopefully RG will appreciate and enjoy his career and those tremendous checks whenever he contemplates hitting a bowl. At the moment he hasn't gotten paid.

Maybe we should debate the rules, because they're wrong.

I don't think the NFL is as strict as they make them out to be publicly. But I do think you start getting into trouble if you become a chronic smoker. I could be very off on this, but the NFL will keep things internal and quiet with a little leeway. They need these players to support the business. They probably can deal and work with a little weed here and there. Anything stronger probably puts you into a different category for concern. They probably tighten up on those guys. Kind of like recreational use (weed) or to occasionally deal with pain (weed) versus a drug addiction or path leading to heavy drug use.

Like I said, just a guess and probably way off in thinking this way.

Maybe we should debate the rules, because they're wrong.

If you think they are wrong....don't try to play in the NFL.

The only people who can decide that are the employer and someone who decides they might want to work for that employer. Simple as that.

Now, if you want to debate public laws, that is open for debate amongst everyone who lives in this country. And, I am way open for debate on that topic and I would probably agree with you.

But, as for this rule that Gregory broke, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with anyone other than the NFL and someone who plays for them and wants to play for them.

I know companies who absolutely ban all tobacco use. They have annual wellness program checks along with random drug tests. If nicotine is detected in ANY of those tests, the employee can be fired or go through a 3 month time frame where they can quit. If they quit and are tested after three months and are clean, they keep their jobs. If it is detected again, they are gone.

I have absolutely no problem with these rules these employers has set up because it's their rules. They aren't discriminating against anything other than a choice to do something. If you don't like it, go work somewhere else.

If Gregory finds that smoking pot is more important than making millions of dollars.....go find a job where they don't care.

Good Lord...you guys act like he has been captured and abused into a poor poor victim that we should save from this atrocity.

• Fire 1

I honestly can not believe I just read posts trying to make poor Randy out to be a victim. Absolutely baffling.

If we contemplate the truest sense of right and wrong, it's not baffling at all. He's absolutely the victim of a broken system.

As is the single mother who was sent to prison for a decade for selling a dime bag.

These are the types of people who RG should be lumped in with. Not an alleged rapist.

Good friggen Lord.

He isn't in jail. He isn't denied a job. He isn't raped. He isn't anything other than tested positive for a drug that a potential future employer says that if you do, you potentially will be punished if you work for them.

This victimization of anything here is just plain preposterous. And, you never have seen me on any of these boards go down this path....but....this victimization of Gregory is a part of a problem that I hear teachers in our school systems talk about all the time. When little Johnny gets caught doing something against school rules, the parents don't sit little Johnny down and punish and explain that he has to abide by the rules. They turn to the principal to call the teacher in to chew them out for why they are disciplining little Johnny. When in fact, little Johnny is a little sh#t head that knows how to work the system.

Life has rules. You might not agree with all the rules. But, when there is a rule that an employer has to work for them and you know those rules very clearly and you break those rules....that's on YOU not the employer.

Terrible reasoning.

Under that way of thinking, slavery would still be a thing and women couldn't vote, ya' know, 'cause thems the rules.

Rules aren't static. Rules aren't inherently just. Rules can be made and upheld for dubious and nefarious reasons, and not everyone who breaks them is a sh#t head. Not everyone who breaks them is in the wrong.

You can have your rules and backwards thinking. That's not how progress is made.

Fine....I will have my rules in my company and anyone who is found to smoke pot won't work for me. This is based on almost being killed on the job by someone who was stoned. If you want to go smoke pot....go work for someone else. That is the option Gregory has too.

If I own a company, I have the ability to make the rules. If enough people don't agree with my rules that I can't find employees, then I have the option to amend my rules.

• Fire 1

Good friggen Lord.

Terrible reasoning.

Fine....I will have my rules in my company and anyone who is found to smoke pot won't work for me. This is based on almost being killed on the job by someone who was stoned. If you want to go smoke pot....go work for someone else. That is the option Gregory has too.

If I own a company, I have the ability to make the rules. If enough people don't agree with my rules that I can't find employees, then I have the option to amend my rules.

I don't smoke pot, and I have no problem with you not wanting people high while they're on the job. That's completely sensible.

I think if there is a place in the workforce where it would be OK to use cannabis it would be in pro or even college athletics, just for the simple fact of how it helps with inflammation, pain, breathing problems, Arthritis etc. Etc. I mean if it were legal in every state.

But, I thought some views from a morning ESPN talk show were pretty spot on. So it is not so much that he has smoked pot that's the problem, but the fact that he knew he had this test coming up and he didn't have enough self control to not use it. It says addiction not just using on occasion. I mean it doesn't matter if he used everyday. Hell I used to have a beer almost everyday after work but was not an alcoholic. Now if I knew I had a piss test and drank that beer anyway then yes it would be very likely that I am addicted. Same here with him he knew and he had to have it anyway. Has he ever said if he used for pain or socially? Just curious I guess.

• Fire 1

Good friggen Lord.

Terrible reasoning.

If you own the company I work for, it's none of your damn business what I do on my own time as long as I am not coming to work under the influence of any drugs.

Good friggen Lord.

Terrible reasoning.

If you own the company I work for, it's none of your damn business what I do on my own time as long as I am not coming to work under the influence of any drugs.

No, but what you do in your own damn time can/could affect your work at some point. You become hooked on whatever and it will eventually carry into your work time. This is what most companies are trying to prevent when they implement the rules that they do.