Unemployment in America

There was an article in the World Herald about a week about regarding something similar in Omaha. Employers were having a very hard time finding people for jobs, and were having to expand into people they would not normally hire, or sweeten the deals to get people in the door. Though in Omaha the unemployment rate is something like 3% so that may or may not be the same up there.

Hell, for my line of work, if they'd pay me what I can get in DFW, I'd be up there in a New York minute with my family (well...really, living in Lincoln, working in Omaha).

Problem is, pay for the companies I've checked out isn't competitive with DFW or other major metropolitan areas with similar cost of living.

There was an article in the World Herald about a week about regarding something similar in Omaha. Employers were having a very hard time finding people for jobs, and were having to expand into people they would not normally hire, or sweeten the deals to get people in the door. Though in Omaha the unemployment rate is something like 3% so that may or may not be the same up there.

Hell, for my line of work, if they'd pay me what I can get in DFW, I'd be up there in a New York minute with my family (well...really, living in Lincoln, working in Omaha).

Problem is, pay for the companies I've checked out isn't competitive with DFW or other major metropolitan areas with similar cost of living.

Maybe they are paying too much at DFW when they can't figure out how to not lose half the plane's luggage on our flight last night.

Sorry...still a little too fresh in my mind.

Maybe they are paying too much at DFW when they can't figure out how to not lose half the plane's luggage on our flight last night.

Wha--oh, no, I meant the entire Metroplex (abbreviated down here to DFW commonly), not DFW International airport.

Though I wouldn't be shocked that they lost your luggage at DFW--it's why I purposely fly out of Love whenever I can. I despite DFW International.

Wha--oh, no, I meant the entire Metroplex (abbreviated down here to DFW commonly), not DFW International airport.

Though I wouldn't be shocked that they lost your luggage at DFW--it's why I purposely fly out of Love whenever I can. I despite DFW International.

Pardon me for my reaction when I saw the abbreviation "DFW".

It really is amazing what some people do when applying for a job. I had an 18 year old kid one time apply for a job. Well, he indicated on his ap that he didn't graduate from HS. So, when asked, he proceeded to tell me how he decided to quick HS and just get a GED because all the teachers were just so stupid and impossible to get along with.

Ummm....if you can't get along with any of your teachers...you aren't going to get along with a boss.

I don't see how you could be a competent employee if you're stupid enough to say that stuff to your potential future boss.

• Fire 1

It really is amazing what some people do when applying for a job. I had an 18 year old kid one time apply for a job. Well, he indicated on his ap that he didn't graduate from HS. So, when asked, he proceeded to tell me how he decided to quick HS and just get a GED because all the teachers were just so stupid and impossible to get along with.

Ummm....if you can't get along with any of your teachers...you aren't going to get along with a boss.

I don't see how you could be a competent employee if you're stupid enough to say that stuff to your potential future boss.

Well, the kid definitely didn't get the chance to prove he was competent in my company.

Update:

About to call my candidates to set up applications and interviews.

First on the list: Earlie Birden. Not joking.

Earlie Birden. Ha ha! Let me know if that turns out to be a real name.

Hey, here's a guy who is now looking for a job in the St. Paul area: LINK :lol:

We use temp agency first as well. I needed someone in my dept a year ago. She eventually became an employee of ours and one of the best hires I've ever made. Nice to 'kick the tires' so to speak to try the person's fit for the job. Better than having to :nutz later.

Pardon me for my reaction when I saw the abbreviation "DFW".

No worries. Completely understand.

• 2 weeks later...

What industry has that much of a wage gap?

• Plus1 1

What industry has that much of a wage gap?

IT. Specifically compliance and regulations. Big difference between when I found in Omaha than what I found in DFW.

• 2 months later...