Hittin' the links: Golf talk

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Most golfers who can't break 100 should learn to get off the tee decently.  Then the key to breaking 90 and then 80 is from 100 yards and in.  So many shots are wasted with poor wedge play and putting.

I played a couple weeks ago, and I hit the ball ok, but I was making a decent number of putts, especially in the 5-10 foot range.  I ended up shooting an 81, and that was with 2 OB balls off drives.  I think I should have broken 80, but the only reason I was close to breaking 80 was how I was putting.

Ah...

So you're one of those "Drive for show" guys. ;)

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

great info...and yeah, I want to see something in the mid-upper 80's

I mean, c'mon "76 or higher" ??

I think too many golfers who shoot in the 80s and 90s try to "make" too many putts outside 10 feet.  That leads to putts going past the hole by more than 3 feet or so, and that leads to 3 putts.

Putts from 10-15 range are make-able at times, but anything beyond that, most players (including myself) should be just lagging it up there to tap-in range.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think too many golfers who shoot in the 80s and 90s try to "make" too many putts outside 10 feet.  That leads to putts going past the hole by more than 3 feet or so, and that leads to 3 putts.

Putts from 10-15 range are make-able at times, but anything beyond that, most players (including myself) should be just lagging it up there to tap-in range.

great advice

• Plus1 1

Out golf course was the only thing open in our community during the co-vid shut down phase.  The course went from 50-75 golfer a day (125 members) to averaging 225 per day and just topped the 300 member mark (it was a dying goose).  All within 8 weeks.  Our parking lot looks like  Walmarts- packed to brimm at all hours.  

Early on in March, my 13 year old developed a strong interest.  Not that he didn't have any before, he just started playing on his school team in January, but his interest now is almost extreme.  For 10 weeks, he's golfed at least 18 holes a day, and usually much more with range time and hitting in the backyard.  All he watches now is tic tok or you tube videos on golf.  He's exhausted his friends. Hes exhausted us.  He's shy and now thinks nothing of joining random guys he finds on the course-so that's good I think.  

All this to say, he shot his first eagle on Saturday on a par 5.  81 for the round. He is literally floating. 

• Plus1 1
  • 4 months later...

This looks more like my game, not a PGA Tour guy:

Murray's ball, however, never got wet. First, he missed the green right (bear with us now), then, he hit his second over the green, where the rough was able to catch it before it rolled into the water. On his third, he hit it back over the green past where his tee shot had come to rest and into the rough. On his fourth, he hit it back over the green, right near where his second shot ended up. He then hit his fifth BACK to where his tee shot was in the closely mown area (this is starting to feel like that "Wayne's World" scene where Garth explains his plan), then finally got his sixth on the putting surface and had about 25 feet left for quadruple bogey. From there, Murray two-putted for an eight. A snowman. ESPN8 The Ocho. Check out the shot tracker, which looks like a bad Etch A Sketch and is giving us a headache: 

1604594549557.png

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

On 12/27/2020 at 9:47 PM, DevoHusker said:

Slice, shank, duck hook, worm burner, double cross, whiff...

(If I tried this drill)

I'm gonna try that.  I'll let you know if I get to single digits.  

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...