Barfknecht: Buy your tickets for Indy; start planning the parades

I know it seems like certain journalists had it in for Pelini, and made things worse than they were. But in similar situations, when the truth comes out later, you often find out the beat reporters were being diplomatic to protect their access. They never told you the bad sh#t that really went down -- not in a family newspaper. You gotta read between the lines. The un-edited Bo supports the theory that things were worse than we believed. We don't have to wallow in it, but I think it's the stuff you need to know if you want to move forward.

Much of the "stuff that went down" had to do with Pelini believing he was protecting his players (or having their backs if you will) versus a journalist wanting the story........one incident in particular a few years ago. Then there's the separate issue of the administration and their shenanigans.......Perlman, Osborne and Eichorst. In recent weeks, Eichorst has been part of some protection decisions of Riley with the limiting of coach access once the season starts.....and the whole Big Red Breakfast deal.

If only we could have un-filtered testimony of how Bo Pelini really felt about his relationship with the fans, the media and the state of Nebraska itself, we might know what it would be like to deal with him on a daily basis.

Oh. Wait.

Yes....the audio.....old news and my name isn't Tom Shatel or Dirk Chatelain, so I shrugged both shoulders about the whole thing.

"It took everything in my power to not say, 'f#*k you, fans. f#*k all of you.' f#*k 'em."

"Our crowd. What a bunch of f'ing fair-weather f'ing—they can all kiss my ass out the f'ing door. 'Cause the day is f'ing coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f'ing gone. I'm so f'ing pissed off."

And yet he stayed three more years.

Because his supporters could never find him a better job than the one he was busy poisoning at the University of Nebraska.

• Fire 5

I know it seems like certain journalists had it in for Pelini, and made things worse than they were. But in similar situations, when the truth comes out later, you often find out the beat reporters were being diplomatic to protect their access. They never told you the bad sh#t that really went down -- not in a family newspaper. You gotta read between the lines. The un-edited Bo supports the theory that things were worse than we believed. We don't have to wallow in it, but I think it's the stuff you need to know if you want to move forward.

Much of the "stuff that went down" had to do with Pelini believing he was protecting his players (or having their backs if you will) versus a journalist wanting the story........one incident in particular a few years ago. Then there's the separate issue of the administration and their shenanigans.......Perlman, Osborne and Eichorst. In recent weeks, Eichorst has been part of some protection decisions of Riley with the limiting of coach access once the season starts.....and the whole Big Red Breakfast deal.

If only we could have un-filtered testimony of how Bo Pelini really felt about his relationship with the fans, the media and the state of Nebraska itself, we might know what it would be like to deal with him on a daily basis.

Oh. Wait.

Yes....the audio.....old news and my name isn't Tom Shatel or Dirk Chatelain, so I shrugged both shoulders about the whole thing.

"It took everything in my power to not say, 'f#*k you, fans. f#*k all of you.' f#*k 'em."

"Our crowd. What a bunch of f'ing fair-weather f'ing—they can all kiss my ass out the f'ing door. 'Cause the day is f'ing coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f'ing gone. I'm so f'ing pissed off."

Because his supporters could never find him a better job than the one he was busy poisoning at the University of Nebraska.

Gutcheck comment right there. I was one of those ppl. :hmmph

Oh. Wait.

"Our crowd. What a bunch of f'ing fair-weather f'ingthey can all kiss my ass out the f'ing door. 'Cause the day is f'ing coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f'ing gone. I'm so f'ing pissed off."

I was just starting to like you and then you remind me of this...disgusting

Oh. Wait.

This guy clearly has no core values. Talk about a pu&&y and a c**t. I mean, you guys have seen him.

He can kiss my ass on the way out the door, the day has come and gone. Good luck in Youngstown.

I got a feeling those players won't be able to "execute" "at the end of the day" either.

Oh. Wait.

"Our crowd. What a bunch of f'ing fair-weather f'ingthey can all kiss my ass out the f'ing door. 'Cause the day is f'ing coming now. We'll see what they can do when I'm f'ing gone. I'm so f'ing pissed off."

I was just starting to like you and then you remind me of this...disgusting

No one's perfect.

It's pretty emblematic of how he treated everyone around him, especially anyone who questioned him. Shrugging only goes so far.

It's your impression. Many share it, I'm sure. But to make a blanket statement like that when he had supporters that included his former athletic director and a few staff members following him to his new gig may mean it's not as "emblematic" as you'd like it to be.

Then study Bo Pelini's parting words to the team.

He's had a chance to sleep on it, knows that his words and sentiment won't remain entirely private. Chances are good he wants the world to know how he feels.

Or go ahead and pretend they weren't meant to be heard by anyone else but the young men he recruited and led, and will now be leaving behind to uncertain futures. Look at how Bo framed his parting speech to the team. Those aren't the words of a leader. Those are the words of a 15 year old boy.

Good Lord, he could have skewered Eichorst at the outset and moved on to some words of wisdom for his players to hold onto, to make their hard work for Bo remain meaningful. But he just kept going back to his bitter little well of finger-pointing, blame-shifting and narcissism.

As he left his team forever, Bo biggest concern was that they might not hate Shawn Eichorst quite enough.

If you want me to consider the fact that Tom Osborne, Jim Tressel and select staff members showed faith and/or loyalty to Bo, I will admit that it confuses me.

• Fire 3

It's pretty emblematic of how he treated everyone around him, especially anyone who questioned him. Shrugging only goes so far.

It's your impression. Many share it, I'm sure. But to make a blanket statement like that when he had supporters that included his former athletic director and a few staff members following him to his new gig may mean it's not as "emblematic" as you'd like it to be.

He's had a chance to sleep on it, knows that his words and sentiment won't remain entirely private. Chances are good he wants the world to know how he feels.

Or go ahead and pretend they weren't meant to be heard by anyone else but the young men he recruited and led, and will now be leaving behind to uncertain futures. Look at how Bo framed his parting speech to the team. Those aren't the words of a leader. Those are the words of a 15 year old boy.

Good Lord, he could have skewered Eichorst at the outset and moved on to some words of wisdom for his players to hold onto, to make their hard work for Bo remain meaningful. But he just kept going back to his bitter little well of finger-pointing, blame-shifting and narcissism.

As he left his team forever, Bo biggest concern was that they might not hate Shawn Eichorst quite enough.

If you want me to consider the fact that Tom Osborne, Jim Tressel and select staff members showed faith and/or loyalty to Bo, I will admit that it confuses me.

Doesnt confuse me one bit. What benefit does TO get to poor gas on an open wound? Kick a guy when he's down? NOT recommend him to his friend Tress? Why wouldnt Tress take him? Ohio guy coming back to his hometown? Legit BCS level experience to run his FCS program? LOL. WHY THE HELL WOULDNT HE? As far as staff loyalty goes, well, only one joined Bo at the ever so important goodbye to the players. And we now know plenty about his state of mind.....

Doesnt confuse me one bit. What benefit does TO get to poor gas on an open wound? Kick a guy when he's down? NOT recommend him to his friend Tress? Why wouldnt Tress take him? Ohio guy coming back to his hometown? Legit BCS level experience to run his FCS program? LOL. WHY THE HELL WOULDNT HE? As far as staff loyalty goes, well, only one joined Bo at the ever so important goodbye to the players. And we now know plenty about his state of mind.....
I guess I on't understand what you mean when you say "LOL WHY WOULDN'T HE?"

Hasn't this discussion pretty much become all about all the reasons why a program may not want Bo Pelini representing them?

The sideline behavior and off the field rants were clearly a part of the reason he was let go from this job, possibly even the biggest reason. (although personally Ive never been impressed with Bo's teams 9 win seasons built on beating lesser opponents all while losing 4 a year in a usually ugly, un-coordinated fashion)

If the ugliness of his rants on the field, conduct off the field, and overall poor representation as a leader of young men was enough to contribute to his firing here, then I say "LOL WHY WOULDNT IT affect his hiring elsewhere?"

Obviously it should be a consideration and obviously it was. He's at Youngstown for a reason. If you think for a second that a guy like Bo Pelini didn't want to go to the biggest baddest program he could and throw it back in Huskernations face, and more so Shawn Eichorst's face, how we just made a huge mistake in letting him go. He was going to go to a big time program and show us!

Of course he wanted to.

Nobody called. Nobody but Youngstown. And still I wonder, who called who?

I guess I on't understand what you mean when you say "LOL WHY WOULDN'T HE?"

Hasn't this discussion pretty much become all about all the reasons why a program may not want Bo Pelini representing them?

The sideline behavior and off the field rants were clearly a part of the reason he was let go from this job, possibly even the biggest reason. (although personally Ive never been impressed with Bo's teams 9 win seasons built on beating lesser opponents all while losing 4 a year in a usually ugly, un-coordinated fashion)

If the ugliness of his rants on the field, conduct off the field, and overall poor representation as a leader of young men was enough to contribute to his firing here, then I say "LOL WHY WOULDNT IT affect his hiring elsewhere?"

Obviously it should be a consideration and obviously it was. He's at Youngstown for a reason. If you think for a second that a guy like Bo Pelini didn't want to go to the biggest baddest program he could and throw it back in Huskernations face, and more so Shawn Eichorst's face, how we just made a huge mistake in letting him go. He was going to go to a big time program and show us!

Of course he wanted to.

Nobody called. Nobody but Youngstown. And still I wonder, who called who?

True enough. But I think NU's buyout money also played a role. Bo stands to make $7.65 million over the next four years from us. The Youngstown gig is basically a working vacation for him. Working in a much lower pressure atmosphere, with lower expectations. I think he only would have taken another high profile FBS job if it paid him more than his contract with NU. And no team would pay him that kind of money, largely due to his controversial antics over the past several years.

In terms of major top division programs, yes. But what has actually happened is the equivilent of a mediocre CEO of a fortune 500 company getting fired and taking a job managing the local pizza joint. Why wouldnt the joint take him? Right?

Also True, i think youre confused as to who the "he" is. it isnt Bo. it's Tressel. The confusion is over TO and Tressel backing Bo. That's why I said "why wouldnt he"? as in, why wouldnt Tressel take a guy with years of legit BCS level experience to run his FCS program, in the guy's home town?

We all make mistakes. Bo should never have been given the keys to this place. Of course it's all hindsight, but I can see both you and Nuance's points.

I'm still just not entirely sure a guy like Bo settles for that gig unless he was short of options. Yes I'm aware of the buyout, it's his hometown, and I even agree that Youngstown MAY have been happy to hire him. I just suspect Bo wanted more. I suspect he was even expecting more. He hung his hat with pride on HIS way and his record here. I don't think he ever felt he'd take a step back in the coaching ranks. Buyout and hometown or not, he took a step back.

In terms of major top division programs, yes. But what has actually happened is the equivilent of a mediocre CEO of a fortune 500 company getting fired and taking a job managing the local pizza joint. Why wouldnt the joint take him? Right?

Also True, i think youre confused as to who the "he" is. it isnt Bo. it's Tressel. The confusion is over TO and Tressel backing Bo. That's why I said "why wouldnt he"? as in, why wouldnt Tressel take a guy with years of legit BCS level experience to run his FCS program, in the guy's home town?

No, I'm not confused.

I honestly won't be surprised if Bo Pelini licks his wounds at Youngstown State for a couple years, then lands an HC gig at a Division 1 school.

The program will point to Bo's streak of 9+ win seasons, an achievement shared only by Nick Saban. Bo will be fairly affordable at that point and the talk will be about how he's mellowed with age and grown from his YSU experience.

I'm not saying it will be a smart move. Or a dumb move. Just that it won't be surprising.